Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever View Post
Not much to add other than I know Rob Bell & he was singing the PScan praises when we last met up - i'm definitely interested in buying one when it is ready for my V8. Would love to volunteer my car too, but although i am relatively local (Essex), the car is not (it's away having a supercharger fitted). Not sure if the blower will affect the PScan, i presume the same sensors will be doing the same jobs, but just at different rates. Once done, am happy to get together so you can have a play with a blown car.

Lastly, i read with interest the notes on the information coming out of the Ford ECU. One of the niggles with the V8 is that there are limits to what the car's BCU & the Engine ECU can understand - the Gateway doesn't do much translating beyond the essentials. This means the onboard driver computer is really very limited in it's functionality - it doesn't even have an instant or average fuel consumption display. As you can imagine, on a 4.6l V8 this is sorely missed!

I believe the Torque App is capable of reading a lot of this data, but it would be good if there was some way to integrate it into the car's IPK display rather than an OBDII dongle & an app (on your phone or head unit). Seems to me that step one is cracking the ECUs language & outputs & it sounds like you are a long way along this road.
Thank you for the kind words.

The guy who has one in Ruislip tells me that he wants to sell his (it's a green ZT 260, 60,000 miles and totally unmodified by the way) so I have to get as much done as quickly as I can.

I doubt whether super charging will effect pscan. It would be interesting to find out.

So I think that there is something called the HEVAC, I'm not sure if that's different to the heater controls. T4 warns you that it has to shut down the HEVAC before it can log in; non V8s don't do that.

There is the Gateway ECU which my T4 doesn't talk to very well, but I have gotten enough out of it that with access to this fellow's car I might be able to do something anyway.

The engine ECU (I guess via the Gateway ECU) does give more data than an EOBD scanner and I think I will be able to crack it, so worth doing.

One strange thing is that when you connect an EOBD tool it talks to a V8 in Ford mode, just as it would to a Mustang ECU (I have one). So it seems to me that you can talk to the engine ECU either directly the Ford way, or the Rover way through the Gateway ECU.

Probably Rover thought that it would be cheaper to do the diagnostics through a Gateway ECU and continue to use BMW style diagnostics that to change the T4 and make all the MG Rover dealers by "new" T4s. But I'm only guessing.

Anyway the wierd thing is that I have a Ford tool that works on my Mustang ECU, but on the ZT 260... nothing. So you can talk to the ECU the Ford way with an EOBD tool in Ford mode, but a Ford tool in Ford mode not.

So, this suggests that actually Rover did modify the ECUs and they aren't "just a Ford" ECU.

Can anyone confirm?