Rover 75 V8 Suspension
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover 75 V8 Suspension

Default Rover 75 V8 Suspension

Rover 75 V8 suspension wanted to convert ZT260

Real Crash Test Dummy! Rincewind's Avatar

Hi Jerry,

welcome to the forum.

Why do you want to convert the MG 260 to have Rover 75 V8 suspension set up out of curiosity?

Nic
    Rincewind had been told that death was just like going into another room.

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers.

Lots of V8/MGR stories, help and advice can be found locked up in my brain cell, just ask.

I'm pretty sure Jerry (WildRover) on the Xpower forum had a set he was selling.
    Justin - Ex-website button-pusher

2003 MG ZT260 SE No. 144
    2018 Mini Cooper Clubman
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    197? Triumph 'Mostly'
    1975 Montesa Cota 175

I only bought this car last week and it is brilliant in all aspects other than ride quality. I need to make the car a bit more comfortable (acceptable) as the current set up is far to stiff, it would be great for a track day car but not for every day use. Assuming I manage to obtain the components and change it to the Rover 75 V8 settings I would still retain all the current suspension pieces as future owners may have a different view and use.

Actually Jerry, the more you use it, the more acceptable you may find the ride.
    The stiffness really makes sense on the motorway, where it feels exceptionally stable and sort of hunkers down in a very satisfying way.
    The downside of this, of course, is that it is a bit joggly round town.

I would try 17 inch wheels and higher profile tyres first, myself, as these have much more elasticity in the side walls, giving a smoother ride.

All the best

Phil

I'd agree with Phil.

When I first got mine, I was a little concerned over the harshness of the ride, especially over those little join strips on concrete motorways.

After a week, the rest of the car had won me over anyway, and after a month I really didn't notice at all. Now, after 7 months of ownership, I just can't remember why I ever thought it might be an issue!

Give it a month, and if you're still not convinced, make the changes then.
    You polish yours if you want to. I'll be driving mine!

When I bought my 260 mk2 I couldnt believe how smooth it was compared to my zt 180 auto i owned before.
    Do you have a mk1? and do they have harder suspension than mk2?

Geoff

Thanks for all the input.
    I know tyres can be a ride factor and I specified normal 55 ratio types instead of run-flats on my company daily driver for that reason.
    I will keep an eye out for some alternative sizes although I think I would still like to try the 75V8 setup, if I manage to procure all the parts, and will let you know how it works out.
    Its a Mk11 ( 1st registered last December with less than 3000 miles now on it) and I would hate to think it was softer than the Mk1.

Jerry, why you not buy 75 in first place [?]
    Keep it on the road!
    Regards, Graham

Real Crash Test Dummy! Rincewind's Avatar

quote:Originally posted by GED

Jerry, why you not buy 75 in first place [?]
    Did wonder that myself.

The 260 isn't a hard set up at all to be honest. I beleive that when the car was set up in the first place lots of attention had to be paid to the ride because of the extra weight.

The 260 was a excellent set up I thought and having driven to Spain and back in a 260 and then also countless roads in the UK, I've never found the ride to be a problem. If anything, I would say that (like others) the ride is nicer on the 260 that a 4 or 6 cyl car.

The 75 set up is ok for the Rover brand but not the MG brand.

If you wanted to go the whole hogg and do the Rover 75 set up apart from changing springs and dampers (which means dropping the whole of the rear subframe to get to the rear springs that are located between the subframe and car, you would need to take the rear anti-roll bar off and potentially the 2 small Bilstein dampers on the rear diff. this would give you the full Rover 75 V8 experience. However, removing the 2 diff dampers would increase the possibility of axle tramp which is not a pleasant experience.

It's a big job and you've got to take the back end "out" to achieve your goal unless you ran with ZT springs and 75 Dampers which I imagine would mess the car up with its ride and handling altogether.

MkI and MkII suspension setups were exactly the same so there will be no difference in feel.
    Rincewind had been told that death was just like going into another room.

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers.

Lots of V8/MGR stories, help and advice can be found locked up in my brain cell, just ask.