ZT V8 ownership ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZT V8 ownership ?

Jim lad I had my first V8 - Rover SD1 auto - when I was 26 and it changed my outlook on cars forever.

if you took a standard ZTV8 for a spin across the Burren and along the west coast roads you would be happy. I have owned an old MGB GT four pot, three TVR V8s inc Griff 500 and several Rover SD1 V8 Autos, plus an Audi A8 4.2 petrol and this car, whilst not as fast as Griff or A8, does everything with a uniqueness that is hard to describe.

Sure, I would like more power to weight, but unless you are on a track or your life depends on it, safety fast is what you will get with a 260. They aint all in the 250+ BHP either it seems, and some are more like 230 +, but for value for money, I couldnt ask for anything nicer . The burble and pop are there aplenty and there's nothing sweeter than the overrun in second or third between tall buildings or in valleys or tunnels. The handling is terrific, the car is an absolute driver's car, but my passengers have all commented how comfy it is. Serene and smoothe at low speeds, and quiet at 70 in 5th, it comes to life with effortless ease when you wanna lift up the skirt and squirt.

There are some issues that you need to ensure have been addressed before you buy though and there are clues on threads on this site or some of the experts might point you to where to check these out but as far as I can tell they include electrical and cooling system gremlins, water ingress into the car thru sunroof and boot seals , the latter potentially wiping out battery and associated gubbins in the boot, as they sit in well where a spare tyre would be found in other motors. Previous owners of mine had spent thousands on these, plus a gear box and engine, as it seems the car had been used on tracks and damaged gear box, as there is anecdotal evidence on here to indicate that the gear box breaks if taken anywhere into the red line.

For me, max torque at 4000 and max BHP at 5000 suggest why go over 5000 anyway, as it is just a waste of time and money, so I use 5000+ as slippage. The car has not used one iota of oil in the 2000 miles I have done in 5 weeks.

If I had the cash I would get supercharger but it costs around £6K to get done properly, as they reckon the chassis as standard can cope easily with up to 400 BHP.

But as it is a V8, it should be about lower end torque, for me.

I am trying to sell, having said all that (MPG in town is an issue for me, at this moment in time, as I have a few other commitments that cropped up in same week I bought the car last month ) but until I do I am having great fun and driving to and from and in work has never been more enjoyable.

My advice is drive a few and see how they feel, as it is worth spending a few hundred quid to travel and see them. I plumped for first one I drove and paid £6200. I should have haggled down several hundred but was impulsive and smitten. No regrets though as even if i sell, i might have lost in all around £2K, but I would have spent that on a two week holiday somewhere special, but I prefer being here in the city by the bay, with a sunset over the Irish Sea and welsh hills opposite and swally in the kitchen and this car has just added to all that.

Good luck and drive safe.

PS Make sure to change the pollen filter! Mine was minging and the mechanic who assisted in the delicate changing operation said it looked like it had never been changed in 10 years since new. Now its SO much cooler in the cabin since renewed
    Last edited by LeRoiDeLaRue; 17-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Yep, welcome along Jim. The good thing about the Ford engine is there are a lot of aftermarket parts out there that will push the horses up without turning it into a sewing machine and making it unreliable.

Good luck in your search. You know where to come if you have questions
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Thanks mate.

I'm after

- Comfort
    - Noise
    - Character
    - Handling
    - Performance

In that order really. ST was fun but its a younger fellas car and even at 31 it makes me fat and old on my daily commute

Will test drive that one in Tyrone if its still around in abit to seen if it fits my criteria. Want something I can happily live with for 2-3 years.

- Comfort
    - Noise
    - Character
    - Handling
    - Performance

the 260 has ALL the above, in any order you like

plus understated great appearance, if it is right.
    MG110414 001.jpg
    Last edited by LeRoiDeLaRue; 17-04-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurrier View Post
    Thanks mate.

Will test drive that one in Tyrone if its still around in abit to seen if it fits my criteria. Want something I can happily live with for 2-3 years.
    See post #8, it's been there nearly a year now and the price has dropped considerably but it's not SE spec.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    See post #8, it's been there nearly a year now and the price has dropped considerably but it's not SE spec.

Nich.

Yea I noticed the seats are half cloth and it has a different looking stereo.

Anything else I'm missing out on by it not being SE spec ? Also I'm sure if I rolled up with cash or a bank draft of 5k+ some change they would do me a deal.

Obviously a new oil filter and oil would have to be part of the deal. Would have background check done before heading up. What are the odds of getting an extended test drive for a day to get it up on some ramps and giving a good looking at underneath. I'm sure the 300 odd mikes from Galway and back would also give me an indication of the cars condition or any niggles.

Would that be a reasonable request ?

Ex-Mod, RIP

A long test drive will prove to be advantageous, it does take a few months to get used to the car and its superb qualities.

Most of the reviews by car programs drive them a few miles and think they know how the car handles.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Odyssey Blue Mk1 Vin 075

If your used to the Ford hooligan mobile take care when driving the zt as gear changing needs to be done with relative care and not to quickly. the set up of the engine management system means that the revs hang up a bit before they drop, this is perfectly normal and was done to reduce emissions. I have fitted a restrictor in the bypass pipe which drops the revs quicker and allows for quicker gear changes without crunching the selectors. Check the history carefully get it up on a ramp and check for oil leaks and the condition of the rear sub frame. if its wet be careful coming off roundabouts other than that enjoy.

Ken Bischoff Vin 075.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
    check for oil leaks and the condition of the rear sub frame. if its wet be careful coming off roundabouts other than that enjoy.

I agree about the gear change thing, and that's one of the things that makes the car like such a traditional old sports car. It demands care and will reward drive after drive. There are lots of even new turbo diesels now with engines 2.7 or above with tiptronic boxes that fly off the line quicker than our 260s but the way the car feels , taut, with assuredness and the mid range oomph to justify the sound, and the way the box rewards also with it's precision when used right, are just a few of the qualities that make every drive an experience to savour

Sounds good.

As to aftermarket cat backs what would be the best bang per buck for quietish cruising and a V8 burble under load ?

Is a company near me called Souhans and was half considering a custom jobby from them if an X Power set of back boxes are hard to source.