ZT V8 ownership ?

Thread: ZT V8 ownership ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jim lad I had my first V8 - Rover SD1 auto - when I was 26 and it changed my outlook on cars forever.

if you took a standard ZTV8 for a spin across the Burren and along the west coast roads you would be happy. I have owned an old MGB GT four pot, three TVR V8s inc Griff 500 and several Rover SD1 V8 Autos, plus an Audi A8 4.2 petrol and this car, whilst not as fast as Griff or A8, does everything with a uniqueness that is hard to describe.

Sure, I would like more power to weight, but unless you are on a track or your life depends on it, safety fast is what you will get with a 260. They aint all in the 250+ BHP either it seems, and some are more like 230 +, but for value for money, I couldnt ask for anything nicer . The burble and pop are there aplenty and there's nothing sweeter than the overrun in second or third between tall buildings or in valleys or tunnels. The handling is terrific, the car is an absolute driver's car, but my passengers have all commented how comfy it is. Serene and smoothe at low speeds, and quiet at 70 in 5th, it comes to life with effortless ease when you wanna lift up the skirt and squirt.

There are some issues that you need to ensure have been addressed before you buy though and there are clues on threads on this site or some of the experts might point you to where to check these out but as far as I can tell they include electrical and cooling system gremlins, water ingress into the car thru sunroof and boot seals , the latter potentially wiping out battery and associated gubbins in the boot, as they sit in well where a spare tyre would be found in other motors. Previous owners of mine had spent thousands on these, plus a gear box and engine, as it seems the car had been used on tracks and damaged gear box, as there is anecdotal evidence on here to indicate that the gear box breaks if taken anywhere into the red line.

For me, max torque at 4000 and max BHP at 5000 suggest why go over 5000 anyway, as it is just a waste of time and money, so I use 5000+ as slippage. The car has not used one iota of oil in the 2000 miles I have done in 5 weeks.

If I had the cash I would get supercharger but it costs around £6K to get done properly, as they reckon the chassis as standard can cope easily with up to 400 BHP.

But as it is a V8, it should be about lower end torque, for me.

I am trying to sell, having said all that (MPG in town is an issue for me, at this moment in time, as I have a few other commitments that cropped up in same week I bought the car last month ) but until I do I am having great fun and driving to and from and in work has never been more enjoyable.

My advice is drive a few and see how they feel, as it is worth spending a few hundred quid to travel and see them. I plumped for first one I drove and paid £6200. I should have haggled down several hundred but was impulsive and smitten. No regrets though as even if i sell, i might have lost in all around £2K, but I would have spent that on a two week holiday somewhere special, but I prefer being here in the city by the bay, with a sunset over the Irish Sea and welsh hills opposite and swally in the kitchen and this car has just added to all that.

Good luck and drive safe.

PS Make sure to change the pollen filter! Mine was minging and the mechanic who assisted in the delicate changing operation said it looked like it had never been changed in 10 years since new. Now its SO much cooler in the cabin since renewed
    Last edited by LeRoiDeLaRue; 17-04-2014 at 09:34 AM.