WANTED Inlet Manifold for a ZS180 V6 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WANTED Inlet Manifold for a ZS180 V6

[QUOTE=AndyG;148420]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    .....................QUOTE]

Unless I can get a Guaranteed low mileage one, I might get a New one, The car is well worth it.

The rest of the car is in EGC.
    Oh, good old german quality, this rattling manifold

Low milage is less important, depends on when the VIS motors die.
    I got very old manifolds from 1999 with excellent innards, also newer ones with less then 50.000 km which were gone.
    Quick test: give it a good shake in all directions, there shouldn't be any sound

Ex-Mod, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat22 View Post
    Oh, good old german quality, this rattling manifold

Low milage is less important, depends on when the VIS motors die.
    I got very old manifolds from 1999 with excellent innards, also newer ones with less then 50.000 km which were gone.
    Quick test: give it a good shake in all directions, there shouldn't be any sound
    Decided to get a new one. Just need to get a catch tank now.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

All black, black, black. bernard lpg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Decided to get a new one. Just need to get a catch tank now.
    Being the cheapskate that I am, this is what I did on our 75, with a fuel filter and a bit of pipe. It works very well.

Bernard Lovegrove. Rural Worcestershire.

wnj516

Bernard, Top marks for your intuition, great idea and a lot cheaper than an oil separator, just as a mater of interest how much oil does it collect in say 5kmls.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by WNJ516 View Post
    Bernard, Top marks for your intuition, great idea and a lot cheaper than an oil separator, just as a mater of interest how much oil does it collect in say 5kmls.
    Not as much as you might think, I empty it maybe once a year. Probably a couple of tablespoons each time after 8-10kmls.
    I have had the manifold off a couple of times since fitting the trap and oil no longer runs out like it did before, so it seems to do the job.

I have a few manifolds stripped down to investigate the cause of these failures and attempt to engineer a better job.
    But so far have not come up with a cost viable solution.

i have one in my shed ready to gut out the internals once the one of my zs180 starts rattling.

when i bought mine 3 years ago and it was rattling so i took the VIS motors off and resoldered up the internal joints - tested they work with a borrowed tester off a member on the MG-Rover.org (LOWEdb i think his user id was) and its been fine ever since.

a member on the rover 75 forum (stocktake) has developed a self test vis motor, which is neat! Have you checked its not just the motors causing your issue rather than the location pegs?

i have researched this quite a bit and i have a report from land rover stating that the oil mist in the inlet manifold is not an issue, but they did not state what the cause was of it failing? typical!

I have not ran a catchment tank/filter and the jury is out on whether it actually helps, personal choice.

the variable inlet tract lengths that this system employs, only induces a minor torque increase at certain revs of the engine and for all the hassle and cost of replacing i'm just going to gut it. Then i wont have the worry of pieces of plastic getting into the engine either.

also on the mg-rover.org website there was 'sheddist' developing a metal and pin version but i have not seen any movement on it for years now but he may do at some point.

The oil catch tank helps stop oil contamination of the VIS motors which is known cause of failure with them.
    I looked at what Sheddist had done but gather that it was not cost effective and have been unable to contact him.

As I spent a few years designing mechanisms, I thought that I might be able to come up with something.

when i took out the VIS motors they have a button vent on the bottom of them which allows the oil in. I don't know why you just dont block it off it?

Letting the oil vapour through should lubricate those pivot points, which is good! It is only a problem when other particulates get it and create a grinding paste, but if you run a decent induction system that should never happen.

i dont suppose you got hold of a rover 800 cast version with double throttle bodies, whether that is any better i doubt it but it wont break!

Ex-Mod, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by gignwah11 View Post
    i .................i'm just going to gut it. .
    Gutting it is OK for the higher revs but around town the fuel consumption increases dramatically, as my son will use it for around town (he walks to work) it is worth doing.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Quote Originally Posted by gignwah11 View Post
    when i took out the VIS motors they have a button vent on the bottom of them which allows the oil in. I don't know why you just dont block it off it?

Letting the oil vapour through should lubricate those pivot points, which is good! It is only a problem when other particulates get it and create a grinding paste, but if you run a decent induction system that should never happen.

i dont suppose you got hold of a rover 800 cast version with double throttle bodies, whether that is any better i doubt it but it wont break!
    The oil gets past the rudimentary bearing. Stocktake or Stocktech on the Enthusiasts has developed a sealed unit as well as the uprated PCB etc.

Enough oil vapour gets through to keep the mechanism lubricated.

I did have the Rover 850 KV6 manifold at one time but didn't realise that there would be a future problem.