95 or 98 RON?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 or 98 RON?

Default 95 or 98 RON?

Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere but searched fuel type and 95 , 98 ron and cant find anything so need to know asap as am off to petrol station ...

The manual sends mixed messages , indicating engine needs 95 RON then says it runs better on 98 ... which is it? And if 98, i have a quarter tank with 95 in , so do i use 95 til i am ready to refill fully with 98, or will 95 and 98 mix ok?

Use 95 RON, general concensus seems to be no discernible benefit from 98 and the engines were designed to run on 95 anyway.

Get your questionnaire into Tim, full access will give you all these answers.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoiDeLaRue View Post
    Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere but searched fuel type and 95 , 98 ron and cant find anything so need to know asap as am off to petrol station ...

The manual sends mixed messages , indicating engine needs 95 RON then says it runs better on 98 ... which is it? And if 98, i have a quarter tank with 95 in , so do i use 95 til i am ready to refill fully with 98, or will 95 and 98 mix ok?
    ECU is mapped to run 95. Any higher won't give any benefit other than to the pump-owner.
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Fantastic reply in terms of info and timeliness, Nich. Many thanks indeed.

Quite why the wording of the original manual is as is, I have no idea.

I have returned completed questionnaire to Tim this morning.

Do you Admins all work a shift each so there is always someone looking in during certain times of the day? The support is fantastic.

Danke H Mann!

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

I only run 98 Ron if I am overseas and the only other option is 95 E10 petrol
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Sean Hylands told me to run 98 with my blown ZT ,[ but mine has 12lbs with 520bhp]

Quote Originally Posted by v8fangio View Post
    Sean Hylands told me to run 98 with my blown ZT ,[ but mine has 12lbs with 520bhp]
    And a different map as well

Standard N/A cars do not need 98RON, they are mapped for 95
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

I use Shell Nitro..because it's a superior fuel in every way.
    I am NOT so worried about the octane rating..but the quality of it....Engine HEALTH !

The additives in Shell Nitro..increase engine life. Clean it. etc. Protect it more

The storage of it ( even more important these days..//Ethanol/ water/ fuel storage tanks/ etc .Shell Stations are all top class stations..with safe/ correct storage tanks.
    The cheaper petrol..eg supermarket petrol..doesn't have the quality of additives in it..compared to Shell Nitro. ..some havn't got any. And the storage facilities of some of the actual petrol stations ( AT THE SUPERMARKETS ) are suspect ! eg I had a relation who was a Manger at a large morrisions p station..they often had water in the storage tanks..made worse by the 5% ethanol in ALL petrol now ! Some customers complained..problems after filling up...always..denied..don't know what you mean ..was the stock reply to customers !

They want to up the Ethanol up to E10 before to long i was reading about the other day ! That will be fun !! Let's hope ..there is a mass motorists protest this time.

One point of interest that came up, last octane chat !! , ..was that all the Addititves are added by the Petrol Tanker driver...after/before ..he fills up with the petrol from the refinery !

Harry

Also..Shell Nitro has beaten all the other petrols..in several proper tests ! ( all on web )

p.s. bad spelling day today !!

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoiDeLaRue View Post

Last edited by Zt pony; 09-06-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zt pony View Post
    I use Shell Nitro..because it's a superior fuel in every way.
    I am NOT so worried about the octane rating..but the quality of it....Engine HEALTH !

The additives in Shell Nitro..increase engine life. Clean it. etc. Protect it more

The storage of it ( even more important these days..//Ethanol/ water/ fuel storage tanks/ etc .Shell Stations are all top class stations..with safe/ correct storage tanks.
    Bugger their ethanol/petrol storage facilities, it's the effect on my vehicle(s) petrol tank/pipes/fittings/seals etc that worries me.
    The cheaper petrol..eg supermarket petrol..doesn't have the quality of additives in it..compared to Shell Nitro. ..some havn't got any. And the storage facilities of some of the actual petrol stations ( AT THE SUPERMARKETS ) are suspect ! eg I had a relation who was a Manger at a large morrisions p station..they often had water in the storage tanks..made worse by the 5% ethanol in ALL petrol now ! Some customers complained..problems after filling up...always..denied..don't know what you mean ..was the stock reply to customers !

They want to up the Ethanol up to E10 before to long i was reading about the other day ! That will be fun !! Let's hope ..there is a mass motorists protest this time.

One point of interest that came up, last octane chat !! , ..was that all the Addititves are added by the Petrol Tanker driver...after/before ..he fills up with the petrol from the refinery !

Harry

Also..Shell Nitro has beaten all the other petrols..in several proper tests ! ( all on web )

p.s. bad spelling day today !!