Serious juddering when i apply any throttle whilst cruising?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious juddering when i apply any throttle whilst cruising?

Default Serious juddering when i apply any throttle whilst cruising?

Hello,

If i drive round with only just the lightest of throttle its ok but when apply the throttle it judders and it gets worse the harder you apply the throttle. Its been getting worse since i bought it a few months ago, it had been sat for 2 weeks prior maybe it needs a dam good thrashing? Any ideas - spark plugs are not due til 90k i think and i'm on 60K (04 reg) i'll check the HT leads at dinner time. I also noticed that the battery light flickered on for a second (whilst on motorway with the judder) and then did not come back on but that might be me just nursing it to work. Is it going to breakdown on me?

Haremoss, Fortrie, Turriff, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Hi
    The battery light flicker is a normal thing for these cars so don't worry. the judders when applying throttle sound very similar to mine when I purchased it and it turned out to be a failing coil stick. I ended up buying a code reader to find the faulty cylinder replaced the faulty coil and all the plugs at the same time, no problems since. mine never broke down but got worse until the mil warning light came on which I think was caused by me giving it a thrashing on the way home from work.
    the obvious question is there plenty of fuel in the tank fuel gauges on some cars are not accurate others are very good.

cheers Ian

Ian
    Ian Walters

Defender 110 6.2 V8
    Mercedes C220 saloon
    Mercedes C320 Estate (AMG body kit)
    BMW R1200 GS Adventure
    BMW K1

Haremoss, Fortrie, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Thanks for the info - Battery light sorted now i have to find my OBD reader in the garage (messy) where is the OBD socket hiding on our cars?

There is a third of a tank in it i never let it go down past the last line to risky with our gas guzzlers! I'll fill her up and see on way home later.

Haremoss, Fortrie, Turriff, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Hi obd connector is down to the right of the steering wheel under the dash.

Ian
    Ian Walters

Defender 110 6.2 V8
    Mercedes C220 saloon
    Mercedes C320 Estate (AMG body kit)
    BMW R1200 GS Adventure
    BMW K1

Haremoss, Fortrie, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Odyssey Blue Mk1 Vin 075

Sounds like a mis fire not surprised with all the dampness recently. Mine suffers with water dripping onto cylinder No 8 from the screen washer jet, this got down the plug hole and shorted it out. Since I've been using mine to and from work daily its been fine and no misfire . Our cars don't like being left especially in the rain for to long, mine certainly dosent.
    Hope u get to the bottom of the problem

Ken Bischoff Vin 075.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
    Sounds like a mis fire not surprised with all the dampness recently. Mine suffers with water dripping onto cylinder No 8 from the screen washer jet, this got down the plug hole and shorted it out. Since I've been using mine to and from work daily its been fine and no misfire . Our cars don't like being left especially in the rain for to long, mine certainly dosent.
    Hope u get to the bottom of the problem
    i take it you've removed the under bonnet felt as this normally soaks up the water.
    I had the same problem but I think it was cylinder no.7;I put a little bit of plumbers mait around both washer jets and don't get any leaks now.

Odyssey Blue Mk1 Vin 075

Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post
    i take it you've removed the under bonnet felt as this normally soaks up the water.
    I had the same problem but I think it was cylinder no.7;I put a little bit of plumbers mait around both washer jets and don't get any leaks now.
    Yes I have removed the insulation and if not raining this weekend will seal them up, cheers Steven

Ken Bischoff Vin 075.

EML light came on today - i have plugged in my elm327 running EasyOBD and it came up with a fault but no code just 'pending PTC' so reset it and i'll take off the insulation and seal up the washer jets.

Phoned Austins and i'm booked in for the 8th Feb for a good seeing to

Take it over to Dom for a second opinion Alan, it could be several things both electrical or mechanical.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Coil pack or plug would be my first guess
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.