Cooling Fan Diagnostic Help - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Fan Diagnostic Help

To keep the thread up to date I'm struggling with the lower bumper fixings, first two sheared three more are spinning the philips out and three more are out , about to try attacking with mole grips, but as it's wet and I'm parked away from the house dremelling/grinding laying on a wet floor doesnt seem like fun

the 'red wires' referred to on the 4 and 6 cylinder cars is the green with red stripe cabled connector I assume on the V8 as it was in the water flow I figured it was the right one, I tried that and No fan, I tried fuse 1 and can here click, and feintist short whine but now movement so it seems the relay is clicking in.

I so wanted to get it off today so i could see if I could get away with brushes for the time being :/

Ho hum, crudity with Mole grips awaits ...

I so wanted to get the damn thing off today so that
    Nick

4 hours later 4 more sheared and soaking wet but I needed it off, so had to be done...
    Had to break away some of the left side (drivers) cowlng to get it off without a regas, but there was wet residue at both connections? could it still be wet from last time it was done , years I mean? does it stay 'wet looking? or would it blow dry and therefore it's fresh?

Haven't had the fan apart yet as I need to do it indoors, and it's obviously filthy, so need to get it past the Boss.... the condenser and rad looked ok at a quick look but as I say it was persisting down

Filthy Blocked up though...

does the fan just tug off? haven't looked yet.
    Nick

Warm and sunny in Canberra - so I'm doing many of the jobs that need doing while the bumper is off. Dave suggested checking the wiring around the legs of the chassis, so here's a photo of the wiring nicely taped up. While there was not much tape in use originally, there was no sign of fraying or rubbing through anywhere, however the earth was badly rusted and has now been cleaned up and reconnected. The fan plugs are the two big ones and they clip onto the white thingy still attached to the chassis. Note that the winscreen washer reservoir has been taken off in these photos. It definitely needed cleaning out. The liquid was quite primordial and was clogging the filter. More photos to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

PS Jules has sent me his Kenlowe kit, so I'm doing these jobs while I wait for it to arrive. I see no point in trying to keep the original fans going when a Kenlowe alternative is available. So, I, too, have spare brushes if anyone wants them, but be warned, pulling the original fan motors apart and replacing the brushes looks like a job for the experts. I don't think Mr Siemens wanted his motors dismantled!
    VIN 206

No problem pulling the motor apart Malcom, 5 Mins and your're in... half an hour to solder in 4 new brushes and youre done.......all assuming youre Com is OK and mine isn't it's completely Shot

So it's 2 speed or Kenlowe.... does Jules have a preference?

I'd like to see the Nut and Bolt fitting Picture with spacers rather than ty-wraps, but other than thats it looks simple enough, I'd like to see a pic of the rerouted Control Box too, as I'd have liked to be able to prove I had the Juice going to the Fan when testing..

the relays seem ok and are the same resistance on the coil so should be Ok.. Just need to get it sorted asap Now Hospital appointment in the morning, 12 hours night-shift preceded by a 13 Mile cycle commute and the same home doesn't leave too much time for fitting either... The poor car looks like it's had a total Front end...

Oh and it tried to snow but just drizzled the whole time \
    Nick

I think I'm more of a butcher than an electrical engineer! I've pulled two Siemens motors apart now (her 180 and now my 260) and have opted for new motors.

I'll be re-routing the control box, as suggested by Jules, so I'll post photos of the finished product in due course...
    VIN 206

By the way, I have never seen such rusty bits as those found closer to the road on old 206. Clearly several years in Kent as a work horse on a berry farm all year round has played havoc with lightly protected brackets, nuts and bolts and fittings. My power steering hose and pipe that goes from the pump to the rack is so rusted (the pipe section that comes out of the pump) that I have had to order in a new one. It looks like it could disintegrate at any time. Similarly the brackets that hold the cooling loop to the bottom of the shut panel are completely rusted on all surfaces...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Malcolmr; 19-11-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    VIN 206

FFS lost two decent posts due to token expired press back and text is gone I give up !!!
    Nick

Fan is U/S the Comm' is shot

a call to Jules, any prefferences on Kenlowe or Original??? anyone??
    Nick

1Powerrrack

Nick,
    never found the brushes, sorry, they useless for me, I went with original only because it was said the 2 speed fans had a much longer life span and reliability compared to 3 speed, never used Kenlowe so cannot offer any advice on that make- but the choice is yours
    Was Supercharged