Overheated - Fan Failure - Advice please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheated - Fan Failure - Advice please

Default Overheated - Fan Failure - Advice please

Hi,

I'm running (well was!) a 04 facelift 260.

After being advised my car had had the orange clip installed on the fuel filter I have subsequently found out it hadn?t the hard way following a 90 mile recovery on a flatbed back from holiday!

Anyway garage has now sorted this for me but after completing the work and a test drive they called to say they left it parked up and running for a couple of minutes to move some cars around for it to subsequently overheat.

They have advised me that they tested the cooling system and confirmed that it?s the cooling fans that have failed and need replacement.

Can anyone offer any advice on this; I understand its a twin fan unit and assuming it is the fan(s) does anyone know the part number and a supplier?

Is the motor(s) a separate item or is it all one unit?

Thanks

You need to get the resistor changed I believe, the silver one fails quite often. You will need the new up-rated (gold) one, it is quite a simple fix if it is that.

Here is a good explanation http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=68336

I had hoped it might be the resistor but my mechanic has just advised he put a power feed directly to the fan post resister and the fan is still dead.

Archived Member

The motor would need replacing then I would have thought. Or get the bushes replaced in it perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexZT260 View Post
    I had hoped it might be the resistor but my mechanic has just advised he put a power feed directly to the fan post resister and the fan is still dead.
    How did he do that than? Unless he pulled back some insulation there's no way I know to connect a power source.
    Before dishing out on a new fan, I'd recheck.
    https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...hree-speed-fan
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Shot Silk & Supercharged

Look for Jules on the other site, he has new fans and relays and could possibly fit them for you assuming you can get the car there.

No 317 Oh yes and some greeners's Avatar

If its a two speed fan the resistor has failed, if it's three speed then a pair of the four brushes have worn

If its a three speed fan, you can put a pair of new brushes in, but long term you'll need a new fan

You need to speak to Jules, he can do you an OEM one or a Kenlowe unit

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I'll be going down the garage tomorrow to got through what's been said and if needs be get an auto electrician I know to have a look into it before forking out for a new fan.

Being a bit naive here... is Jules on the MGOC site? At work on mob atm and not got my membership number to login to see.

Cheers.

Here is his shop on the gentlemens site. He is a member here also http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=74

"Gentlemens site" Lol. Am I in with the hooligans then!

Cheers