Shall I buy a 260? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shall I buy a 260?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post
    Hi and welcome

Prices do vary quite a bit but £7k asking from a dealer is not unreasonable,but you may be able to get a nice one privately for nearer £5k if you look around.

You could look through the old adverts on cars for sale on here to get an idea of prices or try pistonheads,autotrader,Ebay etc.

They really are cars with character and soul,a car that you want to drive even if you don't have anywhere you need to go.
    I'm sure the garage will be more than willing to give you a test drive.

For an insurance quote try Peter Best.They can be very cheap if you have it as a second car on one of their Classic Car Policies especially if it's garaged overnight and limited mileage.
    Even if it's your everyday car they can be very reasonable.

Don't stretch your finances too far when buying the car as you might not have enough left to enjoy driving it;fuel consumption is usually around 18 -22 mpg,maybe 25+mpg on a run.

Enjoy your search and let us know how you get on
    Ok thanks to all, appreciated. I think I will sell TF first to get some extra cash......

Just in case some one is interested:
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks good Nigel, bit more info, sale value, mileage, belts etc. I like the tf in red. Also where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Nig14 View Post
    Just in case some one is interested:
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Yes, yes you should.

Lol! Well, it had to be said asking that on the forum about them But can't add much to what the other guys have said already, just make sure you can afford the running costs i.e. petrol and insurance really. Give Adrian Flux a try, mines on the modified policy and is competitive. Waiting till 30 to get a quote from Peter Best on a classic policy, so sitting tight at the moment lol!
    2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
    2000 MGF 1.8 Steptronic

MG ZT260 SE #171 'The Boat'
    - Gone but not forgotten

Daily Driver:- 2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 TDi Xcellence

I'm ok on running costs and insurance because it will be our second car, for the TF it only goes out on dry days and I covered about 1000 miles in it since last July. It's been Autoglym cleaned and polished and stored in my garage waiting for the dry sunny days. The TF is solar red with tan and black interior and is the better 160bhp version. its covered just 23k miles from new with service history. Taxed to Sept mot to June. Body work is excellent and alloys are good, although I was going to get them refurbished. I also have a new badge waiting to be fitted. It's top class. Open to offers......
    Oh and I live near Stansted Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Nig14 View Post
    I'm ok on running costs and insurance because it will be our second car, for the TF it only goes out on dry days and I covered about 1000 miles in it since last July. It's been Autoglym cleaned and polished and stored in my garage waiting for the dry sunny days. The TF is solar red with tan and black interior and is the better 160bhp version. its covered just 23k miles from new with service history. Taxed to Sept mot to June. Body work is excellent and alloys are good, although I was going to get them refurbished. I also have a new badge waiting to be fitted. It's top class. Open to offers......
    Oh and I live near Stansted Airport.
    What sort of price are you looking for Nigel?

Have you considered these?

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...-Sale-Pictures

Nich.
    Last edited by Nich; 06-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Well I think the price of TFs is pretty broad at the moment, I've seen some at £1500 others at £4000! I bought it from a small garage in Cambridgeshire last June and paid £3500 which was about right for a garage and considering its condition and mileage. Im very fussy about cars and it took a long time to find an unmolested one that has not been smoked in either (no offence to any smokers!). I know I won't get sort of money now, so it's really a case of what people are prepared to pay for it. I would be happy with £3000 or best offer nearest to be honest.

Sorry Nigel, I forget to paste the link to the Cars for Sale photos......

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...-Sale-Pictures

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Archived Member

Make sure you have enough "just in case" money left over when buying, especially if private.

Not all problems are major, but can be annoying. So check the following.
    Check coolant level and signs of leaking on the radiator, radiators can bust on these cars but may not be obvious (I had a small but constant leak on mine when I bought it)
    Make sure the radiator fan is working (turn on front de-mist button will activate it)
    Check under the boot mats where the battery is (spare wheel area, but there's no spare wheel there) for signs of water. light seals can go on these.
    Check the carpets for wetness, sunroof drains can sometime get blocked and leak into the car.
    Check if the blowers go hot & cold. Sometime the hot/cold mixer valve can fail.
    Check the clutch fluid cap, they can split letting dirt into the system.
    When start5ing from cold make note if it struggles to start or is hesitant when pulling away. Water can ingress and foul the MAF sensor.
    And check the rear subframe! They can rust and difficult to replace.

That's all I can think of for now. Like any cars they have a few known issues but most aren't biggies. Good luck with the sale of the TF and good luck in finding a 260!

Thanks for the link but I can't see any cars for sale - i might be doing something wrong!!