Wheel squeak - Wheel bearing?

Thread: Wheel squeak - Wheel bearing?

Default Wheel squeak - Wheel bearing?

As a new owner I?m looking for your experienced advice!

I have just notice a slight squeak coming from a wheel, sounds like rear but tbc.

It remains fairly constant when on the move and does not go under breaking.

I'm assuming it's probably a wheel bearing. It's booked in at my local garage to get it lifted to check next week.

Do you think I?m probably on the right track and any ideas of price and availability on a replacement bearing?

Cheers guys.

Haremoss, Fortrie, Turriff, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Alex
    i think I can help you as i have had the same recently. On the rear brake pads there is a small tab that folds around the edge and is designed to act as a low pad warning, it rubs against the disc producing the squeak, it actually start about 50% of the pad life which is far to early. You can re-position the tab or remove it. the pads are easy to get out just remove the pins and pull them out, no need to remove the caliper.

regards Ian
    Ian Walters

Defender 110 6.2 V8
    Mercedes C220 saloon
    Mercedes C320 Estate (AMG body kit)
    BMW R1200 GS Adventure
    BMW K1

Haremoss, Fortrie, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Cheers Ian,

Thought it was worth asking. I'll give that a go as it a cheaper first option than replacing the wheel bearings!

Haremoss, Fortrie, Turriff, Aberdeenshire Scotland

the tab is only on one pad each side and is on the corner of the pad - sorry dont have a picture but it should be easy to see.

Ian
    Ian Walters

Defender 110 6.2 V8
    Mercedes C220 saloon
    Mercedes C320 Estate (AMG body kit)
    BMW R1200 GS Adventure
    BMW K1

Haremoss, Fortrie, Aberdeenshire Scotland

Thanks for the info. I've had a "wheel bearing" noise for a couple of months. It doesn't vary when cornering so I was starting to worry it could be a diff bearing. In fact it still could be. It sounds like a bearing though as it's not a constant noise, has a break in the repetitive noise that sounds like a defect in the bearing race. I need to get the car up on axle stands and see if I can feel any play in a wheel, or if that bake tab could be the culprit, or hear a noisey diff with the wheels turning.....

Ian
    MG ZT V8, Firefrost, No 311
    MG Maestro Turbo, Flame Red, No 400
    Rover 75 Tourer, 2.0 KV6

This must be the month for bearing(?) issues.

Mine has started to give a moany squeak when turned reasonably sharply at 5-25mph speeds, as you do on urban street corners and roundabouts. Hard to tell if it's from front or rear when driving (and with the Xpowers!) so I'm waiting for it to get bad enough to diagnose.

I'll check those pad tabs but otherwise can anyone tell me where to get rear wheel bearings from please, in case that turns out to be it? I'm guessing the fronts are as for the 190?