#216 Possibly for sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #216 Possibly for sale

Quote Originally Posted by colintf View Post
    Rubbish!!!!!!
    I used to do 60k a year and never found the need to use it
    Using your right foot is much better
    Never needed it on the 350O mile euro tour last year and never missed not having it in the mg TF when I did a similar distance to Norway and back

Cruise control is very much a personal thing. On long trips it can come in very handy. I used to have CC on my Alfa and do miss it on the 260. So much even that I'm thinking of a retrofit. Having driven various rental cars on business trips I found CC can be used in the UK as well and makes travelling long distances on motorways less tiring.

Just because you don't like it you can't dismiss the fact that others may find it useful.
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
    Cruise control is very much a personal thing. On long trips it can come in very handy. I used to have CC on my Alfa and do miss it on the 260. So much even that I'm thinking of a retrofit. Having driven various rental cars on business trips I found CC can be used in the UK as well and makes travelling long distances on motorways less tiring.

Just because you don't like it you can't dismiss the fact that others may find it useful.
    i do like it, b utonly if its a clear long open road, our motorways are too crowded to be called that

as I said for 15-20 years 60k a year, I think I am in a reasonable position to comment as to whether ort not it is "essential" or not!

colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

each to his/her own I use my cruise control a lot think its great.

[QUOTE=T16;123502]Why would you rather be without cruise control??

Its essential for modern motorway driving.

It makes it even harder to swallow given the fact that these were the top of the range cars, costing in excess of £30,000 new, so the emission of cruise is pretty shocking.

I have never used cruise control on vehicles that have them even on motorways as I find them totally unnecessary.

I accept that people have different preferences but to say it's essential is a bit like saying it's essential to have an automatic round town.

I would say why would you want it?I would rather be driving the car myself.

I think it should be an option for people who want it,but wouldn't want to pay for a car that has things on it which I don't want as obviously everything ends up getting charged to the customer in the end.

Obviously anyone who would put up with that for such a long distance is probably used to driving old classics, and thinks electric windows are modern, or that an accelerator pedal is a luxury.

On my many Euro trips, lack of cruise is incredibly irritating, as when you have it, it allows you to relax a lot more, and stretch your feet out and worry about other things, like where you are going and what you will be doing.

There is nothing more boring than constantly modulating/holding the throttle, and you end up with leg/knee ache after a long stint. It's not good for your health.

Cruise is also useful for long tunnels like Mont Blanc, where you can pin the car at the limit and not have to worry when going up/down hill.

If driving a little 2 seater MG on wobbly hydrolastic suspension thousands of mile across Europe is fun for you, then Cruise control is probably the least of your worries!

It's obviously a very personal thing. My Mk2 260 had Cruise and I really used to miss it when I drove my wife's car on motorway journeys. So much so, that it was on our list of essentials when looking for a replacement car for her. Agreed it's not to everyone's taste (and hence can't generally be called essential), but it is one of the features I'd expect to see on a top of the range car, rather than expect those who want it to pay for it as an option. Isn't that the point of a top of the range car, that it has a fair bit more than just the essentials?

Oh, and back to the topic - I used to drool over the photos of #216 in the gallery before I bought my red 260. If it'd been for sale a couple of years ago, I would have snapped it up!
    Last edited by StephenL; 06-09-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Obviously anyone who would put up with that for such a long distance is probably used to driving old classics, and thinks electric windows are modern, or that an accelerator pedal is a luxury.

On my many Euro trips, lack of cruise is incredibly irritating, as when you have it, it allows you to relax a lot more, and stretch your feet out and worry about other things, like where you are going and what you will be doing.

There is nothing more boring than constantly modulating/holding the throttle, and you end up with leg/knee ache after a long stint. It's not good for your health.

Cruise is also useful for long tunnels like Mont Blanc, where you can pin the car at the limit and not have to worry when going up/down hill.

If driving a little 2 seater MG on wobbly hydrolastic suspension thousands of mile across Europe is fun for you, then Cruise control is probably the least of your worries!
    I understand that if you have a bad knee obviously it might be helpful on a long journey.

As everybody else says it's personal preference.

I am used to driving modern vehicles and old classics.

My old Rover from the 1970s which I drove for 10 years had cruise control,electric windows,a throttle pedal and air-con.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post
    I understand that if you have a bad knee obviously it might be helpful on a long journey.

As everybody else says it's personal preference.

I am used to driving modern vehicles and old classics.

My old Rover from the 1970s which I drove for 10 years had cruise control,electric windows,a throttle pedal and air-con.
    What, you're saying that brakes where optional
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

No it actually had other things as well that I haven't even mentioned!

Mind you the brakes weren't exactly that good.

So in short..

Just how easy is it retrofitting cruise to the V8's?

Was there a different loom for non SE cars that requires major wiring, or is all all there and its a case of get the bits and sort it with a T4 session?

I gather the diesels are pretty easy.