Thinking about the 260
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about the 260

Default Thinking about the 260

Hi,

I've had a ZS for the last 8 years, got it just a few months before MGR went bust and I'm now interested in looking at changing up for a 260. Last year the head gasket went and I'm not sure how long is left in The ZS.

Ideally I would like a low miles, mk 2, SE in black.

I do like the idea of a supercharged one, but I've been quoted £850 fully comp insurance on the regular 260, does anyone know how much it's likely to cost for a supercharged one and is it worth it? Reliability etc?

Where is best to look for them and what should I be looking to pay?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Hi Jon, well I have a standard mk2 se & as far as insurance goes I'm 43 & pay just under £300. As with many others on here that's with Peter Best insurance & its a classic policy limited to 5k miles per year. As its a classic policy you don't use your no claims bonus. If 5k is to low then their standard policy was only £75 more. As far as supercharged ones go I can't comment but others will give you advice.

Same here with insurance mine was £284 for renewal but limited to 5000miles, classic policy with agreed value. As already said you don't build up no-claims. I am hoping I can get in the next bracket (under 3000 miles) on renewal next time, which would be even cheaper.

I actually pay a higher insurance on the day-to-day runabout, which is a renault 1.4 modus (this is a clio sized mpv).

You have all sorts of problems getting a low premium with the main stream companies. Two years ago I had to jump through hoop's with tesco not recognising the thatcham cat 1 alarm system was manufacture standard fit, they said they needed a letter from MG Rover! I got a letter from the Thatcham Secretary confirming the standard fitment and tesco's were forced to accept. By this time I had looked elsewhere and been told about Peter Best, I cancelled Tesco and moved to Peter Best anyway and saved a fortune. You should do your own research but you could save a lot of time and just move to Peter Best knowing this would be the best price.

Thanks for the info, I will give them a call in the week and see what they can do. I was hoping to use it as a daily driver, 50 miles per day so would be putting on about 12-15k miles per year, puts the fuel bill up by 1/3 but that can't be helped.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I find the perfect car. I'm keeping an eye on piston heads and the other usual places.

If anyone sees a black mk 2 SE, 25k miles, fsh, 2005 up for sale let me know.

Thanks

Jon

wnj516

Hi all , the insurance quotes you have mentioned are they for S/C cars or standard 260, and if they are how do you get it so cheap, share the secrets guys, i pay something in the region of £340 with PB. similar policy.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

Adding the Supercharger onto mine cost me all of £24 with Peter Best and that's on an unlimited mileage policy. I'm paying about £350 including business miles.
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

I'm paying £250 ish for the S/c on 5k limited, garaged, im 51. Paying more for the 75 V6 tourer, think its around £350 but on unlimited and on the drive. All with Pete Best. My wifes 1.6 Rover 25 is £197 again unlimited on the drive she is 51 as well. Both tons of no claims discount which you loss if you go over to a classic policy.

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Hi and welcome.
    Peter Best is your answer for insurance. eben their noraml unlimited miles poicy is cheap
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Welcome along.

Directline quoted me £230, Aviva quoted £280. All standard policies with protected no claim bonus. Car parked on drive, I'm over 60 with full NCB. The only advantage I can see to going with Peter Best is the agreed value but I am not sure if this will be of any benefit in the event of a claim, given Keith's recent experiences. I could be wrong and it may prove to be an asset but without some sort of test case (God forbid) it's all hypothetical anyway.
    I think postcode may have an effect as well.

Good luck.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

I was under £400 with Admiral multi car. My 260 is limited to 5,000 miles and only social and domestic my old Rover 75 is third part fire and theft. Suits me fine