Replacement heater valve issues - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement heater valve issues

Wow! 3.9C - that's very cold. Is that from the face level vents? Mine struggles to get below about 12C there! I might revisit the regassing process. I assume the Viseton FS10 unit that comes with the engine is good enough for all its Ford applications, so what is it about our cars that makes it "struggle"? Even with the car design issues that Herman points out, the input to the cabin from the aircon should be industry standard cold to begin with.
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmr View Post
    Wow! 3.9C - that's very cold. Is that from the face level vents? Mine struggles to get below about 12C there! I might revisit the regassing process. I assume the Viseton FS10 unit that comes with the engine is good enough for all its Ford applications, so what is it about our cars that makes it "struggle"? Even with the car design issues that Herman points out, the input to the cabin from the aircon should be industry standard cold to begin with.
    Lots of engine heat, slightly leaking valve, water based HVAC, smaller condensor unit..............where to start?

I don't think industry standard applies

Malcolm, down under clamping the heater hose might just be the best thing
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post

Malcolm, down under clamping the heater hose might just be the best thing
    Well, it certainly helps, Herman, but 3.9C would too, on a 40C day in a BRG car in full sun! :-) More on this in future posts, I'm sure...

Cheers...
    VIN 206

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmr View Post
    Well, it certainly helps, Herman, but 3.9C would too, on a 40C day in a BRG car in full sun! :-) More on this in future posts, I'm sure...

Cheers...
    One thing to bear in mind is the changed design of the heater box and potentailly the reduced size of the cooling unit.
    The compressor can be as powerfull as you like but if you can't get the air cooled down fast enough it's no good.

With temperatures outside rising in their 40s, combined with the heat of the engine buidling up in the tunnel, you'd be lucky to see a 30 degree drop between ambient and inside.
    What you can try is manually set the blower speed lower so the incoming air has more change(read time) to cool down when passing the cooling element and use the re-circulation option as well
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

wnj516

Yes Malcom the 3.9 C is at the face vents or approx 2" inside them, the outside temp was a cool 22C to you anyhow, it is much better but the test will come in a traffic with outside temp of 25+ and i think it will still struggle, as Vmax states the chiller is too small, i wonder if someone had a complete heater, if a modified or larger chiller element could be fitted.or insulating the cold section to help with a cooler temp, these are just my thoughts about the problem
    My wife's Rover Streetwise gets down to near 1C in the vents, and i remember the 190 i had was really cold it was a great setup.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

I'm encouraged by WN's 3.9C and will work towards that. And, Herman, yes, I have done what you suggest on hot days and can survive (just!). Car gets a bit stuffy on recirc though after a while...
    VIN 206

Hi all,

Just a bit more information regarding this fault. I had the air con regassed today and although the temperature in the cab does now get lower than before, the valve still does not move. Can someone confirm that when you turn the ignition on, the control valve should rotate (even before starting the engine)? Nothing happens on mine at all. With the engine running, the valve still does not move regardless of what temperature is set on the control unit in the cab.

I am going to try changing the air con ECU with a new unit in case this is the fault. Silly question, but can someone tell me where it is located in the car?!

Yes Andy. It sort of flexes its muscles before settling down to where the ATC thinks it should be. I spent some time fiddling with mine (as I described before) with the valve motor disconnected from the valve, ie with the little white disc taken out. You do have to take the whole Black Olive assembly off the car (but leave the hoses connected) to do this. Then you can watch through the windscreen and see if it turns. You can also test the motor by putting 12v over the two power pins. I'd be doing that before replacing the ATC brain. Also, there might be a fuse in that curcuit somewhere which may have blown if the motor was unable to turn when you first set it up if it was in the wrong position.
    VIN 206

Dear all,

Ok, so after a few weekends of fiddling around with the A/C I thought I should report where I am. I went and had the a/c regassed but this made no difference as I feared it wouldn't. I then checked all the seeming appropriate fuses, also to no avail. Finally I cleaned all of the contacts on the plug that connects the motor and refitted everything, but still no luck. So I gave up, set the motor to its 'cold' position and decided I would just put it back to hot in the winter.

During the following week and our depressing weather, I went out in the car on quite a cold day. I didn't change the temperature settings inside the car, but once the engine had warmed up, I suddenly got a blast of nice warm air. This continued until the cab warmed up and then the a/c turned itself down and maintained the temperature! I got home later, removed all the trim (again!) and checked the motor for movement when the ignition was turned on. My key observation was that the motor I have does not move when the ignition is turned on. It only moves when the temperature is changed in the cab with the engine running.

The reason why it didn't move before but now does remains a mystery. I suspect it was something to do with the plug on the motor, but whatever the reason I'm a happy boy again now I can travel in comfort regardless of the temperature outside!

Any result is a good result with our cars Andy! Bit like in an aircraft where any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! Sounds like a bad connection somewhere after all. Fingers crossed everything now keeps working for you!
    VIN 206