Relatively high mileage 260 supercharger modification
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relatively high mileage 260 supercharger modification

Default Relatively high mileage 260 supercharger modification

Hi all,

I originally posted this at mg-rover and got told I might have more luck here...

I just wondered if anyone would even think about attempting fitting a supercharger to an 80,000k+ 260? Im really tempted to buy a 260 with around 80,000 miles and fit one as and when I could.
    ...basically is it a good idea or a bad one?

Thanks

Its not a bad idea at all, the only problem with the engines I believe is if they have been over reved at some point, but that can apply at lower mileage as well, just I guess it is more likely on a high mileage car...

You can do some additional engine work to safeguard against this, but then replacement engines arent exactly expensive!

As above, if you fancy it do it I say, engines you can get new for C1.5-2k if it all goes T%%T's on you, have the car checked over by Nick at Austins or an equally qualified chap.
    If you have any worries you can have the car remapped to produce slightly less horses.

Best of luck with the project...............by the way if your thinking about it you are already hooked Oh By the way it is said that the engines are good for 200,000 miles plus, and are good to take around 450BHP in standard form....................however it is said.......................all engines are as you know different.
    Last edited by Martin; 20-01-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: more info

Supercharged

Yeah lol Ive been hooked a while....

Its a good sign when there arnt many posts about engine problems. I suppose like its been suggested I could knock off a few horses just for peice of mind for the future. Still circa 260 for me at the moment is more than enough and with the thought of an extra 100 minimum to come its a win win.

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

good to see you made it over here from .Org
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Thanks for the warm welcome colin

Theres a supercharged car for sale now at £12 to 13 K. I would be tempted to go for that now as thats what it going to cost in the long run.
    Happy shopping :-)
    Nigel Baines

MG ZT 385 SE Starlight Silver
    Reg 29 Sep 04 Vin No 496
    `Roush Supercharger fitted 07 Feb 11`

`Do...or do not, There is no try.`

Yeah with good mileage too.... I would if I could I really would

Quote Originally Posted by Bainzi View Post
    Theres a supercharged car for sale now at £12 to 13 K. I would be tempted to go for that now as thats what it going to cost in the long run.
    Happy shopping :-)
    Where is it?

Thought the red one was North of 13K...

Welcome

Not to put you off but mine was one to blow when the supercharger was fitted but after further investigation at dreadnought it appeared mine had been subjected to a bad rebuild in it's life I was lucky and dreadnought were superb and covered me but now have people sign a disclaimer and don't put them in the rolling road. The only 2 i can recall blowing were both subject to user error ie over revving and both owners knew so yeah can't count them!
    If you are fitting it yourself and know what you are doing then maybe check the engine or give it a rebuild or you can instal stronger rods and bottom end but if you are not planning on over revving it and to be honest the power fades at 5k so unless you plan on racing it there is really no point.

It's the gear box that limits the car to no more than 450 bhp.

Other than that run it for say over 5k miles drive it to 5k rpm and if it doesn't blow then it might be safe or give you more piece of mind.

Very worth doing though and you won't regret it one bit! We had some great fun on the Autobahn surprising a few Porsche drivers

If fitting yourself you will have to get the ecu remapped at jan speed or is it sport? Or someone similar.

You have the choice of a roush or Kenne bell but with both you need to get SGML the right bits as or engines are slightly different.

So yeah definitely worth it and the car ideally needs the extra power. Oh and at 80k the engine is just run in!
    Martin Hazlewood