Hello and any info on this car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello and any info on this car?

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

I think the differential between post 2006 and pre 2006 regstered car's roadtax will only get greater as time goes on.

If it were me,I would try and find one with the cheaper cartax

colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have a look at the car anyway, but will definitely take the tax issue into account before making any sort of deal

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosV8 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have a look at the car anyway, but will definitely take the tax issue into account before making any sort of deal
    The difference is £200 a year which is ~£17 a month. With the fuel you'll be needing it can't be a deal breaker.

Just ask Eric how much the road tax is in the Netherlands and I'm sure you'll find the UK is not that bad.
    I reckon it's about €260 every 3 months or €1,040 a year
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
    The difference is £200 a year which is ~£17 a month. With the fuel you'll be needing it can't be a deal breaker.

Just ask Eric how much the road tax is in the Netherlands and I'm sure you'll find the UK is not that bad.
    I reckon it's about €260 every 3 months or €1,040 a year
    It is more of physcological thing and a real thing as you say, but when you get that annual bill it is going to be painful whereas the fuel is spread over the year!

PS I cant spell!

Quote Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
    It is more of physcological thing and a real thing as you say, but when you get that annual bill it is going to be painful whereas the fuel is spread over the year!

PS I cant spell!
    I know it's a bit of a psychotic thing with the road tax, but when you get your monthly credit card bill for the fuel it's all forgotten
    PS. I can spell
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

If you're worried about the tax, just get 6 months at a time - much less than £460... in a psychological kind of way...
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

The higher road fund rate only applies to vehicles registered after 23/3/2006, so it is possible to be "06" plate and £260 road fund licence. Mine is a "56" plate, yet the road tax was never an issue to me because it was the car I wanted. At the moment a "06" plate car is worth more than a "04", but the car's mileage, history and condition are surely the most important considerations?

First thing I did when I saw the car on Ebay was to check the tax - definitely £460 a year. As I said earlier it doesn't overly bother me - a pain in the wallet once or twice a year, but not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

My worry is that it does put off potential buyers - unfortunately whatever car I choose its' unlikely to be a long term purchase because it's something fun that I want to own whilst I can but circumstances may dictate it's replaced in a year or so with something more sensible. If that's the case I want to know it wont be a total PITA to sell on.

As John says, condition is almost always the most important factor when looking at these sort of cars, so I'll see how the car looks on Saturday

Hi Carlos and welcome.I too owned an sd1,well two actually,and decided to go for a 260,and have never regretted it.
    Spare parts and tyres are more expensive,but the fuel consumption is about the same but with much better performance and handling.
    It would have cost far more to restore the sd1s,but selling them as they were paid for the 260.

MG ZT 260-gas guzzling V8, eats tyres almost as quickly as the petrol and costs loads to tax ! YET....everytime I have one to sell, it gets loads of interest and always sells! The last one went to Oz, where they're reckoned to be a bit of a bargain! Shouldn't worry too much-the one thing you can be sure of is cars lose money-ALL cars lose money, unless you were lucky enough to buy something like a Mclaren F1 or keep a car 25 years till it's a recognised classic!