AC: f*ckung freezy or horrible hot?

Thread: AC: f*ckung freezy or horrible hot?

Default AC: f*ckung freezy or horrible hot?

Hi again,

in the german forum there are two mechanics who were working for Rover until the collapse. They say the V8 has a buggy electronic, diagnostic is not as good as on other 75s / ZTs.

Many issue they complain is the air condition, it would only work between the two extremes mentioned above. I can not judge this, because the 3 V8s I saw I drove them only short-time.

What do you say?

Tom

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

some are good others are not so good.

We have a fix for it though I believe Tom
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

yeah its a common thing more so for the temp to always blow hotter than it should, which is caused by the heater valve and there is a fix developed by a member on here and available through the club shop. Not caused by electronics.

Although some people do occasionally experience a wierd occurance of hot and cold switching around and / or hot and cold one side versus the other. I had this once but after switching ignition off and back on it sorted it's self out.

So over all, not a big problem really but something to check that the a/c blows cold when set to low. This is hard to guage in winter when the outside temp is low. Best to use the car, get all warmed up, and then let it sit parked for a few mins.

Then start the car, deactivating the a/c, leave temp sety low and you will find the air coming in feels warm due to the heat coming up into the plenum chamber from the exhaust on the LH side. Activate the a/c and if it swiftly gets cold, this should indicate the a/c is working OK.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Shot Silk & Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat22 View Post
    Hi again,

in the german forum there are two mechanics who were working for Rover until the collapse. They say the V8 has a buggy electronic, diagnostic is not as good as on other 75s / ZTs.

Many issue they complain is the air condition, it would only work between the two extremes mentioned above. I can not judge this, because the 3 V8s I saw I drove them only short-time.

What do you say?

Tom
    That's 2 separate issues, the heater valves stick, either full on of full off, which one you get is usually dictated by the time of year when it is guaranteed you will want the opposite of what you get!! As stated the club have a fix (Thanks Steve!)

Electronics/diagnostics, the normal T4 diagnostics system was apparently never coded properly for the car and may not work as it should. I am sure I have read somewhere the best thing to do is to deal with one thing at a time (in the diagnostics) and not overload it, but I have no experience on that.

As you're still not green, here is the ATC check method, no T4 needed

Copied from the index section

How to run the ATC (Climate Control) Diagnostics checks
    I have copied this from the The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums, thanks must go to Mike for the information:

Running this routine performs a full check on the ATC system including the sunlight sensor.

to start the check:

1. Press and hold the AUTO switch and the air distribution switch and then turn the ignition switch from 0 to II.

2. The audible warning and all indicators on the control panel display cycle on and off while the ECU runs the diagnostic check.

3. On completion of the check the display shows FC in the LH temperature window and a two digit fault code in the RH temperature window.

4. If there are no faults, the system will revert to normal operation.

5. If a fault is detected, an audible warning sounds three times and the fault codes cycle on and off in numerical order. The audible warning will sound as each fault code is shown.

6. Cancel the check by pressing the OFF switch or turning the ignition switch to 0.

7. In low light conditions to avoid false sunlight sensor fault indication the sunlight sensor (centre front of dashboard) needs to be illuminated with a strong light source.

Fault code and description

00 - No fault found -

11 - In-car temperature sensor open or short circuit 25 °C (77 °F)

12 - K bus fault with ambient temperature input 10 °C (52 °F)

13 - Evaporator sensor open or short circuit 5 °C (41 °F)

14 - Heater coolant temperature sensor open or short circuit 70 °C (158 °F)

21 - Sunlight sensor, left output open or short circuit no solar heating correction

22 - Sunlight sensor, right output open or short circuit no solar heating correction

31 - LH temperature servo motor open, or short circuit, motor or flap mechanism seized, servo motor locked in position.

32 - RH temperature servo motor open or short circuit, motor or flap mechanism seized, servo motor locked in position.

33 - Distribution servo motor open or short circuit, motor or flap mechanism seized, servo motor locked in position.

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

thank you all for the information.
    can't wait to become green and see the workaround from the club shop

@VMax1000: the heater valve stick is not listed in the fault table, but I already heard that, turning the AC to max heat for cooling down

yes the valve fails but we have a long term fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

will now go for the long term fix, as now my mechanic says its horrible hot always