So This Is Progress - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So This Is Progress

Quote Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
    I've had such a game on with the handbrake today, suspect a snapped/semi snapped cable you can wind the adjuster wheels right up solid & the lever still travels through the sunroof & has absolutely no feel to it
    That's why adjusting at the rear wheels is important. the cables won't snap, but the compensator is made of chocolate.

Give it a click at the lever and adjust at the wheels until they won't move by hand. That will sort it
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

That's what I've already done & have done with many 75s & ZTs in the past with the perfect result but in this case the lever comes right up with no resistance, as I say even if you lock the rear adjustment up solid the lever is still floppy & lifeless, problem is whilst I'm pulling the lever I can't see what's going on at the back, I've looked down under the console & the thread length looks fine & the compensator pulls on the cables though not very evenly which leads me to suspect a snapped or at least stranded cable, I'll get an assistant & have a bit further investigation tomorrow

Colin (2Diesels) if you need cables it has now been confirmed by Xpart (and my own eyes) that the newly listed Handbrake Cable set from XPart - ZUA000860 does indeed include BOTH cables and not just the LH cable as listed on the Rimmers site

As others have said I'd change the compensator too
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Cheers Col

Well I think we might have sussed the handbrake.............still not wonderful but at least it's now operational, I have it adjusted so it's just ever so slightly binding to hopefully rebed the shoes into the drums & I'll run it like that for a bit & then readjust it all, the compensator is fine & the cables nice & free but we discovered a lip on the shoes which I suspect was causing my problems, never really noticed on Sunday but by that time I was cold, tired & up to my bristols in muck so probably wasn't thinking straight

Have you read the thread about the handbrake compensator modification, it might be the answer to your problem

Yeah but mine is ok no obvious wear or "stretch" but something to consider for the future though, I reckon once I've rebedded the shoes & nipped up the adjustment again it'll be fine

Hi,

Did you get a bumper sorted in the end?

I might have one spare (new) that I could let you have...?

I did thanks, now all painted & ready to go on just need tyres & a tax disc & that's it done
    It's a fine line between a hobby & a mental illness

More bits arrived new aux drive belt & pollen filter, nobody here so I think I'll nip down & fit them now...............must remember a sheet of paper to draw that belt route on or it'll all go horribly wrong
    It's a fine line between a hobby & a mental illness