PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany

tomcat22
20-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Two-Sixties (and Four-Hundreds ;)),

after reading a lot and posting some nosy questions I almost forgot to say "hello" :ash.

My real name is Thomas, I am an 32 year old electronic engineer and live in the south of Germany. I hope everybody understands my english.

I fell in love with Rover almost ten years ago, my first car was a 214Si Silverstone, which became a 216Si after HGF, and a 218Si after 2nd HGF. Nevertheless I loved it, but sold it in 2006 to buy a 75 Tourer (2.5 KV6). This one became half a MG meanwhile, and is our daily driver for wife and kids. Then my interest in MG-Rover took me to buy some more of them, fix them and get them back to road. Recenty I sold my ZT190 and want so sell the 75 1.8T, to have enough founds to go for the V8 thing. That is why I came here. And I have to say that the people here are very helpful, even to newbies like me, maybe asking questions not just for the 2nd time

So, lets have a good time together :o

Thomas

brrm
20-11-2011, 08:18 PM
My real name is Thomas, I am an 32 year old electronic engineer and live in the south of Germany. I hope everybody understands my english.

Wenn nicht, dann können wir auch auf Deutsch reden!

Just kidding, nothing wrong with your English. Welcome - whereabouts in Germany are you?

Stu C
20-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome along! Where abouts in South Germany are you? :)

tomcat22
20-11-2011, 09:18 PM
@brrm: nicht schlecht, ich komme darauf zurück ;)

@ Stu C: I live in Erlangen, thats near Nuremberg.

I've been to UK just once, for half a day, fetching a Rover 75 at Sevenoaks for breaking. It was a Cat C, and when I drove it home it was the first time driving a RHD car. I got used to it very quick and even in Germany driving a RHD car is no problem. So hopefully there will be a Mk2 SE soon

tonybubble
20-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi Thomas, I think we might already know each other! Good luck with your quest.

wraith01mg
20-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Your English is extremely good. Welcome along.

brrm
20-11-2011, 09:25 PM
@brrm: nicht schlecht, ich komme darauf zurück ;)

@ Stu C: I live in Erlangen, thats near Nuremberg.

I've been to UK just once, for half a day, fetching a Rover 75 at Sevenoaks for breaking. It was a Cat C, and when I drove it home it was the first time driving a RHD car. I got used to it very quick and even in Germany driving a RHD car is no problem. So hopefully there will be a Mk2 SE soon

I grew up in a village near Heidelberg (but I'm British), so wasn't that far from you! I also return to Germany every year to go to Hockenheim Classics. Took the 260 this year, but they don't normally allow cars that young to take part. :D

Good luck with your search, too!

tomcat22
20-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi Thomas, I think we might already know each other! Good luck with your quest.

Hi Tony, you are right, we phoned last week.

Your English is extremely good. Welcome along.

Thank you :)

I grew up in a village near Heidelberg (but I'm British), so wasn't that far from you! I also return to Germany every year to go to Hockenheim Classics. Took the 260 this year, but they don't normally allow cars that young to take part. :D

Good luck with your search, too!

Yes, Heidelberg is not very far away. How long have you been there? And don't worry, the 260 will soon be a classic, too!

colintf
21-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Thomas and welcome :thumb

peterv8
21-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Thomas and welcome from Sweden!:)
Hope you find your car soon.

There are three for sale on Moblie.de but they are very expensive compared to the Brittish one's.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/searchrefine.html?minPowerAsArray=185&minPowerAsArray=KW&maxPowerAsArray=222&maxPowerAsArray=KW&__lp=2&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&sortOption.sortOrder=DESCENDING&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17300&makeModelVariant1.modelId=9&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&fuels=PETROL&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&lang=de

brrm
21-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, Heidelberg is not very far away. How long have you been there? And don't worry, the 260 will soon be a classic, too!

I was based there (except for university later on) between 1988 and 2001. Ages 9-22. I miss Germany, but Oxfordshire's not bad as a substitute. ;-)

tomcat22
21-11-2011, 09:59 PM
@ PeterV8:
Yes, prices in Germany are a little bit different. The cheap black one is a RHD, the red one has a bad / unknown history and the other one is for sale already long time.
A LHD 260 in mint condition is about 12k€ here (realistic price).

@ brrm:
What do you miss from Germany? In holiday I am glad when I see no Germans ;)

Herman
21-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Germany is alright.

I used to work for a German company and the company I work for now has a plant in Heidelberg.
The one thing I miss is Thuringer Bratwurst (worked in Weida) und Eisbein mit Sauerkraut.

And possibly a bit more.................

tonybubble
21-11-2011, 10:11 PM
@ PeterV8:
The red one has a bad / unknown history

Described as being No. 15 - Rover interior and hairpins.

ksilver
21-11-2011, 10:16 PM

Interesting interior, looks like velour 75 seats, not seen that on a 260 before.

2V8s
21-11-2011, 11:03 PM
thats intersting you starte with a 214si. I guess the "bubble" shape from '95?

I have a 214Si16v, a '94 so one of the last of the "wedge" shape. I have had it 16 years and it has never had HGF. However, I decided when the clutch started slipping at 110k miles (175,000km) rather than take the easy option to change clutch, for some stupid reason I bought a 1.6 k-series to swap in as I fancied a bit more power. But this has beena nightmare because the engine I bought I trusted to be good but was not! so currently rebuilding the head, and have my perfectly OK 1.4 engine sitting on the floor in the garage!

I wish i'd gone straight to the 1.8 like you did as they are all the same visually (except the vvc) but the 1.8s are more expensive, say around 300-400 to buy (more than a whole car most of the time!) whereas I got the 1.6 with gearbox etc for £80. Oh well, at least I am learning and can now comfortably say I know how to do a cambelt change, head gasket change, and strip and rebuild a 16v cylinder head!

Anyway, I digress.

Welcome and good luck with your search. There are a few other German owners on here who I'm sure will say Hi in due course!

tomcat22
23-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Could you please tell more? The sandstone glovebox was no orderable extra, I guess ;)

The one thing I miss is Thuringer Bratwurst (worked in Weida) und Eisbein mit Sauerkraut.
And possibly a bit more.................

The world is a village. My mom works in Weida, too! When I visit my parents, my dad always makes "Bratwurst" on the grille outside, even in winter.

...There are a few other German owners on here who I'm sure will say Hi in due course!

Yes it was the still nice looking bubble shape.
Other V8-owners from Germany here? The only two I know are not here

Klaus
24-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Welcome along Thomas and congratulations purchasing Geoff´s 260!
You will have lots of fun with it;-))
I did the stunt in March 2010 and I´m happy with it everytime I hear the engine grumbling.
Maybe we can meet up for Longbridge 2012 together with Herbie (Eric) and his F (or was it a TF, Colin?)

Klaus

colintf
24-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Welcome along Thomas and congratulations purchasing Geoff´s 260!
You will have lots of fun with it;-))
I did the stunt in March 2010 and I´m happy with it everytime I hear the engine grumbling.
Maybe we can meet up for Longbridge 2012 together with Herbie (Eric) and his F (or was it a TF, Colin?)

Klaus

Herbie (Stephan) has a red F Klaus.

It will be good to see you all at Pride of Longbridge or Brooklands next April.

Congratulations Thomas on buying Geoff's car

:cool:

tomcat22
24-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Thank you! Didn't thought of finding one that fast.
Its got almost everything I desired, except Apex wheels

colintf
24-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Thank you! Didn't thought of finding one that fast.
Its got almost everything I desired, except Apex wheels

but the wheels on it are fantastic :thumb

tomcat22
24-11-2011, 12:46 PM
but the wheels on it are fantastic :thumb

They are not my style and I am not sure if I am allowed to drive them in Germany.
If you would like to change... ;)

colintf
24-11-2011, 01:19 PM
They are not my style and I am not sure if I am allowed to drive them in Germany.

I am sure that someone would swap wheels with you Thomas. Maybe it's worth you starting a thread about wheel swap? :cool:

GeoffW
25-11-2011, 08:20 PM

They were bought from a company in clevedon and I believe they came from Germany,
I kerbed one once really bad and had to get another, only took 3 days!
All the studs have been replaced with solid stainless ones which wont corrode, the originals were chromed ally which was daft as the chrome peeled
Here is a close up view-
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/Geoff11_2007/carpictures008-1.jpg

Tim
25-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I've got a set of apex's if you want to swap. :)

I am sure that someone would swap wheels with you Thomas. Maybe it's worth you starting a thread about wheel swap? :cool:

colintf
26-11-2011, 01:42 PM
They were bought from a company in clevedon and I believe they came from Germany,
I kerbed one once really bad and had to get another, only took 3 days!
All the studs have been replaced with solid stainless ones which wont corrode, the originals were chromed ally which was daft as the chrome peeled
Here is a close up view-
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/Geoff11_2007/carpictures008-1.jpg

stunning wheels those :thumb

tomcat22
26-11-2011, 04:49 PM
hhm, on a closer look they look much better than expected. Will have to think over...
will start a new thread then.

GeoffW
26-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Thought you would like them!! if not just swap them over on the way back home

Tim
26-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm on the way home ;)

Thought you would like them!! if not just swap them over on the way back home

Coasting
26-11-2011, 10:05 PM
err I would be keeping those wheels tomcat if I was you, they are really nice...

PS what tyre sizes are they?

tomcat22
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
@Tim: will PM you

thread for the apex wheels starts here:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10063-Apex-wheels-wanted-swap-prefered

Still more than six weeks to wait for the car, but this is nothing against waiting for over 15 years for a Trabant in the former GDR. And then in 1990 they tell you you could buy a Wartburg instead for 30k east german mark. :diz

brrm
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Still more than six weeks to wait for the car, but this is nothing against waiting for over 15 years for a Trabant in the former GDR. And then in 1990 they tell you you could buy a Wartburg instead for 30k east german mark. :diz

15 years? Seriously?!
I drove one when in Berlin this summer. Quite interesting (advanced when it was launched I believe), but not quite as fast as the 260. There's one in Oxford now; the owner has switched to it from a Merc 280SE because of fuel costs. http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9289561.Ditching_a_Mercedes_for_a_Trabant/
One day when I win the lottery and have a barn for my cars, I'll import one. :D

GeoffW
01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Not quite as quick as the 260 either !!!

colintf
01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
@Tim: will PM you

thread for the apex wheels starts here:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10063-Apex-wheels-wanted-swap-prefered

Geoff's ZT400 is well worth the wait Tom :thumb

04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I got you all beat on being close to Thomas. I could be at his place in 20 minutes!

I fell in love with Rovers as a teenager. My first Rover was a 1963 P4 95 bought for 75 quid in 1988. That was my daily car for 2 years. I've also had a 1974 P6B 3500 and a 1988 Vitesse making my 260 my third V8 MG/Rover.

Ed

I have a 214Si16v, a '94 so one of the last of the "wedge" shape. I have had it 16 years and it has never had HGF. However, I decided when the clutch started slipping at 110k miles (175,000km) rather than take the easy option to change clutch, for some stupid reason I bought a 1.6 k-series to swap in as I fancied a bit more power. But this has beena nightmare because the engine I bought I trusted to be good but was not! so currently rebuilding the head, and have my perfectly OK 1.4 engine sitting on the floor in the garage!

I wish i'd gone straight to the 1.8 like you did as they are all the same visually (except the vvc) but the 1.8s are more expensive, say around 300-400 to buy (more than a whole car most of the time!) whereas I got the 1.6 with gearbox etc for £80. Oh well, at least I am learning and can now comfortably say I know how to do a cambelt change, head gasket change, and strip and rebuild a 16v cylinder head!

Anyway, I digress.

Welcome and good luck with your search. There are a few other German owners on here who I'm sure will say Hi in due course!

colintf
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I got you all beat on being close to Thomas. I could be at his place in 20 minutes!

I fell in love with Rovers as a teenager. My first Rover was a 1963 P4 95 bought for 75 quid in 1988. That was my daily car for 2 years. I've also had a 1974 P6B 3500 and a 1988 Vitesse making my 260 my third V8 MG/Rover.

Ed

It's always good to have another 260 owner close by, especially for you overseas guys :thumb