PDA

View Full Version : Asking Too Much?

Mean Green
12-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Still looking for a low mileage 260 with LPG, preferably Black/Green/X-Power Grey....Can't be too difficult, surely? (Oh, and under 6k would be good) :o

150k on the Black Pearl now and the old girl needs to slow down a bit, but I just can't jump ship unless the sails are bigger, if you get my drift ;)

Herman
12-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Still looking for a low mileage 260 with LPG, preferably Black/Green/X-Power Grey....Can't be too difficult, surely? (Oh, and under 6k would be good) :o

150k on the Black Pearl now and the old girl needs to slow down a bit, but I just can't jump ship unless the sails are bigger, if you get my drift ;)

Maybe now is a good time to buy a lottery ticket....................more chance of winning :)

Mean Green
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM
He he, mind you, £101M would get the jigs back over here so we could resurrect the production line :p

colintf
13-10-2011, 06:05 PM
there's one here, but your budget needs to grow http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3159138.htm

Mean Green
13-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Wow,thanks, that was quick! Ticks almost all the boxes except colour - can't just go for it because of the gas - this will be a car for life, so I want to get it right.
Having said that, I see Stefano's gorgeous Merlin out and about now and again and that's the same colour...........:love

colintf
14-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow,thanks, that was quick! Ticks almost all the boxes except colour - can't just go for it because of the gas - this will be a car for life, so I want to get it right.
Having said that, I see Stefano's gorgeous Merlin out and about now and again and that's the same colour...........:love

it's a fabulous colour,Mirage I think, and the ideal colour that I was inititially looking for.

:cool:

2V8s
15-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I think the problem you'll have is there are relatively few with LPG for a start, and those with LPG would tend to be higher mileage because people that had the systems fitted did so because they thought it would save them in the long run based on the miles they do.

Mine had lpg when I bought it and had 85k on it. It now has 106k.

So you may have to be patient for the right car to come along that meets your criteria, but it may never happen!

black olive
15-10-2011, 11:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110759042585#ht_1086wt_1344 plus an lpg kit !!!!

Mean Green
16-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Yep, I've been looking for a couple of years now and only seen three, one of which - an X-Power Grey Mk1 with 34k was the right one, but he sold it to a mate :(

At least I've got my V6 for now

jenksman
22-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I'd like to know where this character keeps his full size spare wheel, on the back seat? The LPG bullet tank in my car takes up most of the boot space and is only 40 litres.
Also his claims of a possible 50 mpg equivalent are a little absurd and can be challenged by the figures quoted in his own ad.
I'm telling Granny etc. when I remind you that LPG at 69p per litre might be half the cost of petrol at £1.37 but that doesn't mean you can double up on your mpg reurn because the LPG is less efficient
Dave

Mean Green
24-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I'd like to know where this character keeps his full size spare wheel, on the back seat? The LPG bullet tank in my car takes up most of the boot space and is only 40 litres.
Also his claims of a possible 50 mpg equivalent are a little absurd and can be challenged by the figures quoted in his own ad.
I'm telling Granny etc. when I remind you that LPG at 69p per litre might be half the cost of petrol at £1.37 but that doesn't mean you can double up on your mpg reurn because the LPG is less efficient
Dave

Agree - I get about 30 mpg with my V6 190, if I'm careful, on petrol and about 22 mpg on gas, which equates to around 42mpg, so I would suspect 50 mpg from a V8 coupled with an 'enthusiastic' driver would be lucky to achieve 30 overall?

I'd be interested to know what other 260 LPG users have found so I can start saving up for when I find my Unicorn! :)

jenksman
24-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi again
I've only had my LPG 260 since May so my experience is limited, best result ever equates to about 30 mpg(equivalent). I buy my LPG at 66p/litre
But it's not so easy to measure this equivalent mpg because my car starts up on petrol and switches to LPG after a mile or so
IMHO to get a true result one would have to monitor consumption of both fuels. Since the quantity of petrol is small compared with LPG this would not be so easy to do (you don't really, for reasons of economy want to be driving around with a full tank of petrol so you can't use the usual method of "topping up" the tank to see how much you've used)
It should also be remembered that sometimes it's not possible to find LPG, or when you do you may have to pay more for it eg. 79p/litre at my nearest motorway outlet.
Whenever people are asked to quote mileage figures there is always a tendency to exagerate. For my own part I know that my LPG car is much easier on the pocket than my previous standard 260. A lot of my driving is done on short runs in a hilly area for which I reckon anything better than 23/24mpg (equivalent) would be a bonus. The figure of 30mpg I quoted above was a one of and I probably exagerated, it certainly didn't include an allowance for the petrol used.
By the way I did not buy the car because it had an LPG conversion, and I don't think it cost me any more because of this. The fact that it had the conversion was just a slight bonus which I coming to enjoy
Dave

Dave

Mean Green
24-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes, my experience is similar, although I've got timing fill-ups to a fine art now and rarely get caught out these days. After 120, 000 miles of LPG motoring, aside from a few Reducer problems, (as I write, my LPG man is sourcing a K&N filter to change some things around and stop the feed from freezing) I've rarely done less than 42mpg equivalent. I tend to keep about a tenner of petrol in the tank for starting up. I guess that might need to be nearer £20 for a 260 though!

2V8s
24-10-2011, 11:21 PM
when I was commuting a fair distance, 40-50 miles each way, some in heavy traffic, but when moving, 85-90mph, I used to average on LPG 16 to 17 real MPG, which based on the % price it was of petrol, I equated to roughly 30MPG, and I was quite happy with that though always felt it ought to have been getting more like 18-20 real mpg.

I did account for the 5-10 miles per tank I did on petrol and subtracted this from the odo per tank ful of LPG to get a fair result.

Now I am doing short commutes and very slow stop start traffic all the way (7.5 miles takes me 40 minutes!) I only get real MPG of around 12-13mpg using the same calculation method, which equates to only around 23mpg petrol equivalent.

I still feel though that I am saving good money relative to petrol-only, and my equiv lpg results compare favourably to the previous 3-litre bmws I have had, which returned similar petrol figures as the lpg equiv on my 260, so given the bigger V8 I think that's reasonable!

spartacus
25-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Now I am doing short commutes and very slow stop start traffic all the way (7.5 miles takes me 40 minutes!) Sounds like you need to get a push-bike - it would be quicker and you'd got much better mpg!

Coasting
25-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds like you need to get a push-bike - it would be quicker and you'd got much better mpg!

Yip, that distance will take about 30 mins on a bike with a bit of practice and without being super fit...

Once you get fit and you dont stop at the lights you could do it in less than 20 mins!

Mean Green
25-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you need to get a push-bike - it would be quicker and you'd got much better mpg!

Won't make the same noise though...............you could try the old 'cigarette card pegged to the spokes' trick I suppose :D

2V8s
25-10-2011, 02:29 PM
gents. you're preaching to the converted.

Last summer I bought myself a Scott Sportster P3 hybrid bike, with hydraulic disc brakes and front shock, yet still quite light weight. I do use it to cycle to work, on average 2-3 times a week, and have so far clocked up 2500 miles on it.

But in bad weather, and Nov to Feb when the nights draw in (as cycling around here is too dangerous in the dark!) then its the gas-guzzler!

And you're spot on. It takes me 30 mins +/- 5 mins or so depending on wind direction, traffic and luck of lights/junctions. On average, it is 10 mins quicker than the car except during holidays when the car is 5-10 mins quicker.

ksilver
25-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Last summer I bought myself a Scott Sportster P3 hybrid bike

Hybrid bike? Is that a tandem - sometimes you pedal and sometimes the other person pedals? :~

2V8s
26-10-2011, 10:59 AM
haha, well I wish that was the case, then I could rest up during the journey!

No, its a kind of mountain bike / road bike cross. It has larger 28" wheels like a road bike, with semi-slick style tyres but their mid width (between road bike and mountain bike) for balance of less friction but some off road grip. Has a mountain bike style frame and riding position.

Typical mountain bike - 16kg
typical road bike / racer - 11kg
My bike - 13.5kg