PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, looking for a 260.

Customs Inc
19-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi guys, nipped over from the 75/ZT club. My name is Richard, big MG Rover enthusiast, 28y/o, GSOH, WLTM and all that jazz...

Anyway, after my black 75 Conn SE was nicked last year (bought it brand new at the age of 18) I've been struggling to find a good replacement (I'm picky). So I thought to myself if I chip in another couple of grand or so I can bag a V8 instead. So I'm on here to put the feelers out for one. Due to running my own garage/custom/classic business I'm not into stock cars, so I'll be re-panelling it as a Mk1 75, fitting Sandstone leather 75 interior trim with all the extras, sorting out wheels and suspension, and repainting it Raven black to sort of carry on the spirit of my first 75, which was my baby. I'm looking for more of a torquey cruiser than a performance machine, but rather than buy a V8 75, I'd prefer the manual box of a ZT tbh. Each to their own I suppose but I have the finished article in my mind that fits my character and way of life, which is what a car represents to me.

So, there it is, any pointers, known cars for sale etc? Seeing as I plan a fair bit of work I would even consider taking on a project car, I guess it's better to get one back on the road rather than alter one that is in fine fettle (and to not upset the purists!). I would however prefer the higher spec model with electric rear windows, Xenons etc, but I guess this means it'll have a sunroof, too, which I really don't want, so I may take on a base spec and retro fit said components.

Cheers guys, I hope to join the RWD-club very soon!

Rich

Coasting
19-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Good luck with the hunt, there a few heavily modified examples on here so dont worry about doing what you want with it!

Re the sunroof, a lot of base specs cars have this as well as an option and this is where the majority of the extra weight is in regards extras.

There are quite a few black cars around, I reckon it is one of the most common colours after grey, silver and the various blues so I reckon you would be worth waiting for a black one to come along, only problem may be that the MKII s are lot more common that MK1s in the V8 world...

The V8 is the ideal car if you dont mind getting stuck in yourself and can live with the fuel (which is fairly obvious) but driven carefully it can be reasonable, I have had worse fuel economic cars with smaller engines...

As for the GSOH, I dont think that will go down well here ;)

Performance wise they arent an out and out performance machine unless supercharged, but it is the way it does more than what it does in my opinion! :)

Herman
19-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Welcome and good luck finding one.

Good taste on the MKI in Raven Black though :)

James C
19-08-2011, 11:59 AM
You need a GSOH to live with the fuel use ;)

As with any car unless you're leasing it, it's YOUR car, go wild and do what ever you want to it. Turning it from a ZT to a 75 is hardly like driving into a branch of Halfords and covering it with Ripspeed "merchandise" after all :)

Customs Inc
19-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I guess if I end up with one that'll need a bit of work and a repaint (it WILL be Raven Black!) it won't be too bad if it's a sunroof-car as I can always put in a new roof skin, which is actually quite an easy job in a 75! I'm used to getting stuck in, I do rebuilds, restoration and custom stuff all day anyway, feckin' awesome job if I say so myself!

As for the fuel, I've read that some people get as much as 22mpg, which isn't too bad as I run various KV6'd cars at around 28/29mpg (although my KV6 Freelander does about 20!) and as it won't be in daily use in the winter it ain't all that bad. Cars are about fun, not cost to me.

With regards to modifications, I'm into the low stance look, so expect air-ride, minimum ground clearance (yes I know about the deep sumps!) and in particular wheel choice. I was looking at re-drilling the hubs to 5x120 for E46 M3 wheels, but I've done that before on my tourer, so I'm looking at 5x112 so I can run Bentley wheels, and then totally change the look of the car by swapping to some widened/smoothed and staggered Audi A5 19" spacesavers in gloss black with chrome baby-moon caps (same fitment as the Bentleys, and I built them to go on my tourer after the BMW's so just need a small amount of finishing before powdercaot.). I dunno, it's all in my head but sometimes it's hard to explain with harping on for hours and boring everyone! With the Bentleys on I imagine a sort of Brit/Euro customs look, then with the Smoothies on more of a Yank sled vibe.

Oh, I didn't mention, I trying to source a ZT-T 190 in Solar red to do a replica of the Land Speed Record car for my new shop run-around.

Stu C
19-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Welcome :) From talking to Nick the later 75/ZT's transmission tunnel was changed to accomodate either manual or auto box depending on its destiny as a 75 or ZT. Would buying a 75 and shoving a manual box in be a better option? That was you have the refinments of the 75, and then just need the respray and E voilĂ 

James C
19-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I average around 25 on motorway runs. Best I've got so far is 27. Worst is 19

Herman
19-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I average around 25 on motorway runs. Best I've got so far is 27. Worst is 19

That's either down to UK size 6 shoes or 9 points on your license already.

Never got better than 22-23 on a combined 350mls long trip (ie 300mls motorway and 50 mls urban)

James C
19-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Steady 70 with overtaking of annoying middle lane Audis at less sensible speeds.

Maybe I just "know how to drive" better than some people, but it has always annoyed me when people (not picking on you here) have said "Oh, you obviously drive like an old granny then as I never get better than XYZ." :mad:

If it was Jenson Button or Lewis Hamilton who said that to me, I'd just laugh and accept it.

And for those who know West Somerset you'll know the roads here are "Drivers Roads" with more twists and turns into nice straights than you know what to do with, so it's not as if I'm only doing 70MPH up the motorway all day long.

colintf
19-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi and welcome.

I was amazed to find I got 28.2mpg sat at 70 on the motorway all the way back from Zed10 last month

:cool:

Stu C
19-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi and welcome.

I was amazed to find I got 28.2mpg sat at 70 on the motorway all the way back from Zed10 last month

Yeah sitting at 70 i can get a good 27 constant. Knocking around town and stuff can have it down to 14, but have lots of islands and short national limit roads that just love to be driven ;)

Herman
19-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi and welcome.

Yeah sitting at 70 i can get a good 27 constant. Knocking around town and stuff can have it down to 14, but have lots of islands and short national limit roads that just love to be driven ;)

:O) What am I doing wrong...........:drive

James C
19-08-2011, 06:07 PM
You realise it's got 5 gears, right? ;)

Herman
19-08-2011, 06:12 PM
You realise it's got 5 gears, right? ;)

Yes, but that's hardly used round town and twisties. Comes in handy on the motorway though :adding 12345R

pessling
19-08-2011, 06:16 PM
With owning a 4.6 litre car who gives a flying **** what mpg you get, its never going to be good, enjoy driving the car, and let someone with a gwiz worry about the environment

AndyG
19-08-2011, 08:00 PM
WELCOME :)

My problem is tires :D

wraith01mg
19-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Don't wrap it up Peter. :-).

Mind you I'm in your camp with this. If I worried about mpg I would have bought a blue motion. Not a growling motion

Stu C
19-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Mind you I'm in your camp with this. If I worried about mpg I would have bought a blue motion. Not a growling motion

+1 i'd have stuck with my R600 diesel lol! Went to get the boat tracked today, good guys at the garage i use, but one or two was the usual "what engines in that?..oh V8?... that the rover one?....OOO a mustang V8?" etc... :D

wraith01mg
19-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I've had a guy call me an outright liar to my face, and not in a nice way either, so when asked to prove it by opening the bonnet I told the cretin to ef of, fired up the car and made a 100 foot number eleven. Smoked the prat out. ha ha

James C
19-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm "happy" with 19 MPG. I sold the CDTI to buy the 260, had I wanted 40+ mpg I would have kept it! I just don't like people trying to call me out on my driving style just because I can get 25+

Although on Saturday when out with a group of Fs and they all went haring down Porlock hill leaving me behind, and then one of them promptly having to stop at the bottom due to smoke coming out of his brakes did prove it's not always GO GO GO! ;)

spartacus
19-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Given your hairdo, I can't understand why you would want to go out with a group of hairdressers... :~

Herman
19-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm "happy" with 19 MPG. I sold the CDTI to buy the 260, had I wanted 40+ mpg I would have kept it! I just don't like people trying to call me out on my driving style just because I can get 25+

Although on Saturday when out with a group of Fs and they all went haring down Porlock hill leaving me behind, and then one of them promptly having to stop at the bottom due to smoke coming out of his brakes did prove it's not always GO GO GO! ;)

Some hidden frustration there James ??? Come on............tell us all about it :)

James C
19-08-2011, 08:59 PM
It's their hair! I think they're contagious! :funny

James C
19-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Some hidden frustration there James ??? Come on............tell us all about it :)

I really must point out, it's not you Herman I'm frustrated at, it's a previous "friend" who was always on about it, really ground my gears!

Herman
19-08-2011, 09:04 PM
All 5 of them.................:)

I'm not offended that easy, so no worries about that....................

Just enjoy the car and drive it llike it should be driven
(just have some quick salt ready for the granny)

I don't give a t*ss about mpg as I like the car for what it is.

Just hope anyone else does..

Stu C
19-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Good greif was he/she sat on the brakes all the way down?! Love porlock hill! Next time you guys have a run down there James i'd love to come along, love the west country.

wraith01mg
20-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Breaks made of milk bottle tops?
Wasn't having a go at you James. Far from it. Like you I get miffed at people telling me how inefficient my car is. Like I don't know that. I tell them I know it's crap on economy, I bought it cos I love it and I love the noise. They still say I'm mad. I say, "now your getting it."

spartacus
20-08-2011, 08:43 PM
<pedant>Brakes</pedant>

Sorry, can't help trying to improve the English in the world...

Herman
20-08-2011, 08:45 PM
<pedant>Brakes</pedant>

Sorry, can'e help trying to improve the English in the world...

Neither can I..................................it's can't

spartacus
20-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Indeed. And it will stay that way unless the mods get involved...

Shit, I started a sentence with And... bollocks, bollocks, bollocks

wraith01mg
20-08-2011, 09:18 PM
As my Grandmother once said " Is it right for a young man with your upbringing to begin every sentance with the unfortunate word -"But?""

Indeed brakes was smelt incorectly. I am embarrassed lol

James C
20-08-2011, 09:22 PM
They very nearly were smelted! ;)

The Chunky Chap
23-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Rich, you have PM ;)

Stew B
14-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi mate,

If you`re looking for a nice one see mine under "ZT 260 SE with Prinz LPG".

Cheers,

Stew.