PDA

View Full Version : cam sensor fault

Downtonbill
11-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Hello,
Currently Im buying an MG ZT 260 and the engine management light is on due to the cam sensor. the dealership im buying it from have had it checked and dont know what it is. at the moment they keep clearing the code and the light will stay off for 3 starts and will come back on. I dont know what else they have tried but at the moment they are checking the timing for a stretch chain and thinking the sensor is out of time. im just wanting some information if anyone has had this problem and what can be the cause. also the car has only done 37,500 miles and would it be possible for stretched chains or or worn tensioners.
thanks

bernard lpg
11-08-2011, 10:49 PM
That doesn't sound likely at all at that mileage but as it's showing 'cam sensor fault' I would suspect the cam sensor itself. Surely that should be the logical path.

Downtonbill
11-08-2011, 10:55 PM
they have replaced the cam sensor and keeps coming up with the fault could it be a faulty sensor or wiring.

ColinE
11-08-2011, 10:56 PM
That doesn't sound likely at all at that mileage but as it's showing 'cam sensor fault' I would suspect the cam sensor itself. Surely that should be the logical path.

Would agree

Do you know the last three digits of the VIN - see if anyone here knows the car/its history

Downtonbill
11-08-2011, 11:01 PM
the last three numbers are 254 and the reg is NG54 XBW. all I know about the car is it has spent all its life in Newcastle and its for sale with silverlink cars in gatehead

Big Dave
11-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Although I can't help with the issue re the car just thought I'd mention that I'm just down the road from you in Fulwood!!

260s are very rare round these parts!

Hope you get sorted mate

Downtonbill
11-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Thats good and also Ive heard of someone having one in fulwood where abouts do you live

Big Dave
11-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Thats good and also Ive heard of someone having one in fulwood where abouts do you live

Just sent you a pm mate

Downtonbill
19-08-2011, 10:32 PM
hello,
We now have sorted the fault it was to do with the wiring. someone had replaced it and made it too short so put another bit in using a crimp so to fix we just soldered it together.
thanks for your replies.

wraith01mg
20-08-2011, 12:59 PM
out of interest. is it a black one? only reason a ask is i may have seen it on the a1 at newcastle a few months ago.
Glad you got the issue sorted.

Downtonbill
20-08-2011, 02:23 PM
yes its black it was for sale at silverlink cars the MG dealer

wraith01mg
20-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Ah yes I put it on the "was it you?" section a few months ago. I saw it from my truck as I was heading south on the a1 from Scotland. The car was pulling on to the a1 at Newcastle in heavy traffic. No one answered. But the reg matches. Nice looking car.