PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic release bearing ?

dumyank260
01-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Good day from a new registrant seeking help from the home of the Rover.
Coming to your V8 door through a link given in another MG forum.

As a new surplus 4.6L Ford V8 engine/trans purchased here in the USA has finally been identified (via the MG symbol on the shifter) as built for the Rover, I would like to know the manufacturer or maintenance instructions (bleeding) for the single pipe hydraulic release bearing located inside the bellhousing. It has a green rubber bellows. Most of the MG parts sites don't seem to have much information other than part nos., especially pictures, as would be found here in the States.

The pipe is "floppy" when moved from outside the transmission and removing the tranny from the eingine is forseen as my only current option to check the connection of the pipe to the bearing. I've seen in some searching for MGs that this setup may be difficult to bleed (with what appears to be a bleed connector on the fitting outside the tranny).

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated before I crack the tranny loose.

Herman
01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
There is a cover plate on the transmission, located on the bell-housing.
You might be able to get access through there just to check.

Failing that, the box has to come off.
[/URL]
MG has a bleeding nipple outside the gearbox
[URL="https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1906&d=1309120249"]https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1906&d=1309120249 (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1906&d=1309120249)

colintf
01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi and welcome dumyank260 (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/member.php?28695-dumyank260) :thumb

dumyank260
01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks VMax1000. As it stands the cover plate is missing and I can just finger-reach the fitting inside. So, off it comes, I guess.

colintf, this thing has opened up a wide door to the MG world.

colintf
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks VMax1000. As it stands the cover plate is missing and I can just finger-reach the fitting inside. So, off it comes, I guess.

colintf, this thing has opened up a wide door to the MG world.

from which we can all learn something :thumb

dumyank260
08-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Sometime in the last few days I found out about Keisler (US) clutch kits and a video showing how they bench bleed their release bearing setup, which uses a visually identical assembly to the one pipe hydraulic feed/bleed to the release bearing I have been questioning for the MG V8 (although their kits use a SS braided line). Keisler was kind enough to respond that their bearing is made in Germany by FTE, for any who might want to know. But the FTE site is distributor specific and doesn't include much, if any, detail other than their model nos. vs specific car applications.

Nich
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
These may help:

It has got FTE stamped on the outside, but I cannot make out the part numbers.

Nich.

Herman
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Here you go

dumyank260
09-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Thanks to both of you. That's what I have, for sure. The hydraulic nipple with o-ring explains why a black plastic(?) pivotable connector with a spring clip is visible by mirror on the V8 tranny I have. The part number looks to be "_RB3-7A564-AA". Time for the mirror again just for confirmation. Several of the bearings, by China manufacturers that pop up on websites with look-a-like pictures, are referenced as replacements for various Ford part numbers, including the 7A564 designation.

Keisler's is "specially made" for them by FTE with a threaded hydraulic connector; and many of the China or US bearings just have different castings or dual connections.

With your information, it may be best to hook up a master cylinder to bleed it and see if the connector holds pressure. Tranny removal as the unit sits on the floor will be last resort.

2V8s
10-08-2011, 09:23 PM
although its a pain, it can be done to fully bleed the system via the external bleed valve. If you can help the process somehow by bench bleeding in advance before connecting up the system I'm sure it will help.

But due to past problems on my car, the clutch system has been drained of fluid and refilled several times. I also did have a new slave cyclinder fitted when the clutch was changed and have the old one in the garage so can look anything up on it if needed although it doesnt still have the fitting into it as that was reused. As far as I know, the bloke that did this work for me originally didnt bench bleed anything, but I do know he had major issues bleeding the system which he ended up blaming the master cylinder for and changing it, but it made no difference. It came down to method and persistence in the end.

If I were you, depending on what use you have for this engine/tranny setup, I would swap the clutch parts over to a standard cable operated setup from a mustang, as personally I find the hydraulics just another PITA failure point.

dumyank260
11-08-2011, 05:18 AM
The thought of going to a concentric release bearing has certainly been in the back of my mind, mainly because the pipe goes from the low inspection port on the side and up and over the bearing to the top, which would lead to the bleeding problems.

A similar bearing with two pipes would certainly be preferable in case of a changeout. And, hopefully, the two pipe setup would not be as problematical as yours. That is, if I could be sure of an exact replacement concerning the bearing fit and moving back from the clutch fingers appropriately. You have to wonder if the push-on/O-ring fitting is the best system.

For what it's worth, the bearing number in this tranny is 1R83-7A564-AA. The bleed T-fitting with female threaded ends is only marked with "FAG 1" or "FA6 1" with screw-in push-on/O-ring supply connector, hydraulic flare bleed and tube fittings.

Post-Note: Keisler says install it, pump/bleed 8 times and "enjoy", but they use a flex line which on most trannys can be kept higher than the inlet of the bearing fluid.

dumyank260
12-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Not to beat the subject to death, but reading the part no. in the pictures provided above was difficult because the flag at the top of "1" was extra long and pointed downward like it was a bent "7". Enough already!!!!!