PDA

View Full Version : Any advice or knowledge of this Car

Dominic22
30-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi All

I hope to be joining you soon. I have a ZT 190 and am in negotiation to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140583604405&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_524wt_1139

I have seen it and the seller seems a nice guy and the car seems fine, not many bells and whistles but in good shape. He has not had it very long and the owner before bought it and sold within weeks but that is because he wanted the private reg on there V8 BUX.

If this car is known to any of you that would be great, as of course I realise I am buying someone else's issues as with any used car. I was not sure if it was on your register the club hold

I am in the Midlands Near Ashby De La Zouch. Purchase price will be near the auction end price Approx £3700, which seems a good price (but opinions welcome). I am not overly mechanically minded so pointers would be helpful.

I

Kind regards

Dominic

colintf
30-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Good luck, its been up for sale a lot recently!

:cool:

Tim
31-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Got no info to suggest its been involved in anything. Came off the production line 4th December 2003 and is a standard spec 260. Greeners is also selling his silver v8 if you are looking for choice.

Dominic22
31-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for that.

Have done a check and can see there has been 3 owners, first registered 27/05/2004. With the last 2 being short, one bought for change of reg and the current so One owner upto 13/01/2011, so. Seems fullish service history, what is interesting is that when you run a check they automatically value it, this came up as £2395, which is obviously to cheap but if it did get in an accident would be interesting what the insurance valuation is. Might also look at Greeners, but this is nearer and possible a bit cheaper at close to £3500.

lowey260
31-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Its definitely been talked about on here before I just cant find it, althought this could be the thread but not entirely sure??

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?7448-Cheap-ZT260-anyone

I remember the registration and several appearances on Ebay. Really need the vin number to confirm.

colintf
31-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi All

I hope to be joining you soon. I have a ZT 190 and am in negotiation to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140583604405&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_524wt_1139

I have seen it and the seller seems a nice guy and the car seems fine, not many bells and whistles but in good shape. He has not had it very long and the owner before bought it and sold within weeks but that is because he wanted the private reg on there V8 BUX.

If this car is known to any of you that would be great, as of course I realise I am buying someone else's issues as with any used car. I was not sure if it was on your register the club hold

I am in the Midlands Near Ashby De La Zouch. Purchase price will be near the auction end price Approx £3700, which seems a good price (but opinions welcome). I am not overly mechanically minded so pointers would be helpful.

I

Kind regards

Dominic

I believe this to be #151

MichaelG
01-08-2011, 09:40 AM
It looks good and without sunroof, electric rear windows and some other items it should be 100kg lighter. You also won't have the sunroof drain problems and you won't need to keep turning the traction control off.

Amongst the usual list of things to check, I would add (from personal experience) to check if it has ever had a full four wheel alignment, if not then the 4 cam bolts are likely seized solid and it takes a lot of work to remove, press out and replace.

On the one hand it seems it may be cheap due to the recent rapid owner changes, and you could take advantage of this. On the other hand the fact the current owner is a mechanic and selling so quick would concern me a little bit, but that is not saying there isn't a genuine reason.

If you do buy there is loads of information on all the common fixes within the forum, most of them cheap.

Coasting
01-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I would be checking in addition, rear brakes, shocks, fan motor, aircon compressor etc, as these seem to be on their last legs at 60k mileage if not already attended too and these items could add up to a £2k bill

Dominic22
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks Guys. I think possibly I might need to take someone with me who knows more about these than me. I imagine it is easy to get a little misty eyed about them without looking at the practicalities. Will put some feelers out for some V8 guys around the area.

The current owner works for the ambulance service in the fleet department, so servicing and fixing them and also fire engines I think when they come in. Lovely guy and from first impressions very genuine.

MichaelG
01-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Check handbrake works as the pictures have the car in-gear. Although this can be an easy fix by simply following rave instructions (MG Rover workshop manual) for the adjusters. There are even people in the forum who have come up with a design for a mod.

Don't forget those x-powers are worth a few £££££.

AndyG
01-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome. :D

What area do you live?

Dominic22
01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I live in Appleby Magna DE12 Near Ashby de la Zouch & Tamworth the car is in Birmingham so only about 30 mins away from me.

wraith01mg
01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Not a million miles from me. I'm in Melton Mowbray.

AndyG
01-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Not a million miles from me. I'm in Melton Mowbray.

I can see a mini meet where a few cars turn up to inspect. :-))

Dominic22
01-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Yes not far at all. I am in Melton often as my wife works all over Leicestershire for the NHS. It looks like we have agreed a price like the US budget compromise more than I wanted to pay but less than he wanted so likely fair. Less than £4000 for a car like that seems a good price. I might have to buy on a little blind faith due to not being able to get a 260 guy to look at it, I am going to drive it again tomorrow then pay a deposit and hopefully pick up by the end of the week.

Was selling my 190 but the buyer has disappeared so will likely have the two of them for a little while.

lowey260
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I might have to buy on a little blind faith due to not being able to get a 260 guy to look at it, I am going to drive it again tomorrow then pay a deposit and hopefully pick up by the end of the week.

Depending on times because I work nights I dont mind coming to have a look, where about in Birmingham is the car?

colintf
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
my only concern with this cart is, it's been on the market for quite / several times a while at this price, and if it's good, why hasn't a trader already bought it and sold it on at a good profit? To my mind, something doesn't seem right, but for your sake, I hope that I am wrong!!

:cool:

Dominic22
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Paul

It is Smethwick B67 6PW, I am planning to look at it tonight again and possible take it for a drive. He is available any time after 4.15pm, as I am if that suits. If you are around drop me a note. Will always reimburse Petrol costs or buy you a drink after.

lowey260
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Earlier the better for me, just let me know as Im in work for 6 so 16.15 is best

lowey260
02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Just found this thread, I was sure I had seen this before.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?6394-V8-BUX-for-sale-on-ebay&highlight=ebay

lowey260
03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Well nice to meet you yesterday Dominic, And I was more than happy to meet you and view your possible purchase vin #151. As I say im no mechanic but I have owned a couple of 260’s now and was more than happy to take a look. From first impressions of the outside it did look a very tidy car, It seemed the Alloys had previously been painted while on the car as you could see overspray on the callipers but for a 60k motor the front end seemed very short on stone chips that are normally attracted to the front end possibly pointing to a blow over! The spec was very basic no options whatsoever apart from the leather interior. The drivers bolster had the usual signs of wear but the passenger seat was in just as bad condition which I haven’t come across before. Under the bonnet seemed ok, plenum chambers were full of leaves, no whine from the air con while we had it running but the lack of servicing was what concerned me. Independent dealer stamps in the service book, no paperwork to back it up, the first 3 stamps from the same dealer ticking all the option boxes which was strange and then in one year the car then covered 20k in a little of 12 months before servicing and then the most recent owner had completed his own servicing and wrote in the service book himself. But then on speaking to him other than changing the oil at 60k service he said he took the air filter out and it seemed fine so put it back. Now I know what a pain in the arse it is to get to the air filter and never seen a clean one and if you have gone to the trouble of removing it why not replace it? Same goes for the plugs he said he took a look they seemed fine so didn’t replace then. In my mind a full 60k service would have to be completed along with the possible replacement of the rear springs as they are the early springs and prone to failure. Once you add the costs on to the purchase price which is indeed a good price and the relatively lack of history with the car I think there are much better out there which have been looked after and maybe better to hold on a buy one for a few extra quid but that will probably need less money spending on it once purchased. There was just something niggly in the back of my mind that said this car was going to cost you money.

Dominic22
03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Paul.

And again a big thanks. I think you just conformed my feelings and in a way needed someone to back up the niggles I had. I am usually quite quick to make up my mind and the fact that I had taken a while and not yet bought it sort of backed the feelings I had. As you said it is a good price £3800 but if you suddenly start to add the 60K service possible springs etc then it does not look quite so cheap. Also cheap for these car's is not the over-riding reason to get them. You get it because you plan to keep it so maybe a bit extra money gets you what you want.

Dominic

colintf
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
that may be why a dealer hasn't snapped it up, or they found something on an HPI check :cool: