PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

Manx 260
20-07-2011, 08:06 PM
hey guys, I wonder if you can help me out?

Returned to the car after a couple of weeks and it wouldn't start, enough power to open the doors and for the internal lights but not to start it.

Charged the battery overnight (until my charger said it was "full") but no change. Try to start the car and the battery light flashes on and off and the car makes a constant click.

Swapped the battery (which I know is fine) out of another vehicle (5.0L mustang) and this time no flashing battery on the dash but clicking again and the headlights coming on when I try to start the car - why would the headlights come on? Anyway, still no joy

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Tim
20-07-2011, 08:21 PM
The lights flash to tell you the power is not enough to fire up the engine. Looking at the engine bay to your right just past the fuse box is the earth strap, make sure it has a good earth. Also be 100% about the battery as the car does eat them.

Why are you still blue ;)

Herman
20-07-2011, 08:33 PM
starter relay?

Manx 260
20-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Wow, that was quick!

The headlights flash to say insufficient power? or the dash lights going on and off? or both?
battery that I used to test works fine in it's original car, although it's not a sophisticated piece of kit!

I feel a bit blue...

Tim
20-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Yep, flash to tell you the power is going tits up. Best thing is to check in order of ease. Battery, earth, starter, alternator, satnav in the back, short sunroof outlets tipping water into the body control unit (but you would have had other symptoms)

Being green would allow you to investigate the threads around power issues. :) moooohahahahahahaha!

Wow, that was quick!

The headlights flash to say insufficient power? or the dash lights going on and off? or both?
battery that I used to test works fine in it's original car, although it's not a sophisticated piece of kit!

I feel a bit blue...

Manx 260
20-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Cheers, will investigate further.

that was a decent evil laugh, good work.

2V8s
20-07-2011, 10:01 PM
also check battery connections are nice and tight after changing the battery.

Also try disconecting it for a while.

did you try charging the battery with it still connected in the car and / or jump start? its possible the former could have sent the elctrics haywire, they may be resetable by leaving the battery disconnected for 10 mins.

other than that, sounds like the voltage is too low on the battery(s) you're trying to use. Or maybe you have a short circuit somewhere?

Manx 260
21-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Brand spanking new battery and a fiddle with the earth and we are back in business!

Many thanks to all for your help

ColinE
21-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Ah the power of the collective

Glad it's all sorted