PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrades

MIKE ZT-T
14-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Looking to upgrade mt brakes all round, any recomendations?

colintf
14-06-2011, 07:18 PM
in what way? pads only, or discs and pads?

:cool:

MIKE ZT-T
14-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Possibly both, having done a track day at Castle Combe yesterday, I was dissapointed with both brake fade and pedal travel

ColinE
14-06-2011, 11:01 PM
What are you running at the moment - standard all round?

MIKE ZT-T
15-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, standard all round

scooter
15-06-2011, 08:51 AM
The correct pads and correct brake fluid is all that is needed for track use. The fluid has to be good and you HAVE to bleed the calipers before going out on the track. We had special pads made which are up to the job but they tend to damage the wheel finish. Some members have these pads and have had no trouble with the standard disc/caliper set up. The problem is these pads are expensive.

Cribbit
15-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I changed to yellow stuff pads when my standard ones wore out. They do give improved performance on track, but they arn't as good for road use. They must need a bit of heat to get them going. I also have a set of the pads Brian had made up, but am yet to try them.

If improved track performance is your aim, try EBC yellow stuff pads. Some have done bigger front brake conversions, but it's not an easy task, and i think requires wheel changes too.

James C
15-06-2011, 02:58 PM
You should "in theory" be able to fit the AP Racing 4 pots (or was it 6?) designed for the E46 to the front but A) they're several thousand quid and B) you'd need new wheels.

Keith
15-06-2011, 08:19 PM
good fluid and pads that generate a bit of heat are all you really need

When I collected my car one calliper was partially seized and I can assure the brakes that day were working bloody well :)
Brianl is right the colour of the wheel lacquer will tell you when you have got it right!

Phil Evans
15-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I've found the EBC grooved, dimpled and vented fronts, plus Redstuff kevlar ceramic pads help at the front. They are also less prone to corrosion and worked well at Castle Combe on Saturday.

Big Frank
17-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I also fitted EBC grooved and drilled front discs with 'Red Stuff' pads all around. Need some heat to get thing going but the brakes are a great improvement on original set up.