PDA

View Full Version : x power back boxes

jamie
13-06-2011, 07:13 PM
my wife is giving me hell over the house moving noise of my x powers, boo hoo :(,so ime looking to purchace some replacements, i want to loose the constant boom,dont get me wrong it sounds great :o as i cause bleeding ears in a 2 mile radius, and thats just pulling out of my drive way, no really ime looking for boxes that sound nice when i want them to, ie put your foot down with a deep roar but still be able to tootle around town with some music on and hear it, i sometimes do 280 mile runs to newcastle with the familly and i must admit it gets a bit much for the wife and kids as they try to watch there dvds with the constant boom in the back ground, ive heard zero twins might be a happy medium, any suggestions

Coasting
13-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I think you are about to get a lot of enquires for your x-powers - are you selling them ;)

colintf
13-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I must admit I've never found my XPowers too noisey (not even with tubes in) and I've done some very long drives in them (eg 4-500 miles in a day).

Zero's may be your answer if you find XPowers too noisey.

I think Merl is looking for XPowers, drop him a PM if you are selling, or want to swap maybe with some Powerflows?

:cool:

peterv8
13-06-2011, 07:29 PM
You can do what I have done(Will also) and open up the standard boxes and modiefy them.
Will made a "how to"!:)

Ajay
13-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Where are you based Jamie? You're probably best trying to meet up with and getting a demo from an owner who has Zero's fitted on their car. Alternatively, one of the mini-meets may provide the opportunity to hear a set of Zeros.

jamie
13-06-2011, 07:37 PM
i may be selling them, i know they are sought after as they sound like nothing on earth , it all depends on what results i get with new boxes

jamie
13-06-2011, 07:38 PM
high wycombe, bucks

StephenL
13-06-2011, 08:26 PM
If you do meet up, I'd also be interested in coming along - I've been umming and arring for ages about which exhausts to get. Although I love the sound of Xpowers, I'm not sure if I could live with them long term for exactly the reasons Jamie mentions in the first post (not that you can find Xpowers anyway!). I've heard the different exhausts at meets, but it's hard to know what they would sound like on a "normal" journey. I still have OEM exhausts on mine, so would be interesting to compare those against Zeros.

brrm
13-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Hello. I am a near-ish person with Zeros (although they may sound different in a tourer) - do I sense a mini-meet coming on somewhere between Oxf/High W/St Albans? :D

Ajay
13-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I've a set of Zeros (modified Mk1's) on my 260 saloon. If you fancy setting up a mini-meet you check to see if their quiet enough for you :D

I'm on the posh side of the Thames from Reading :fight

peterv8
13-06-2011, 09:55 PM
We could have a mini-meet at my place so you can hear my modyfied standard boxes.:D
Or talk to Will and meet up with him.:)

jamie
13-06-2011, 11:41 PM
hi there, thanks for posts,sounds like a plan, i would like to hear the zeros, lets try to organize something as my exhaust purchase is sooner than later

Merl
13-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Well I would definitely be interested in buying them or swapping them for my powerflows... Though you will find most exhausts have that booming sound... I think my powerflows fall between the zeros and the xpowers and make it sound more like an american V8 where the xpowers sound like a racing V8?

Might help or not but here is a video of some of our cars in holland doing a drive by... the 1st and 3rd have xpowers (one is tubed and mine is the middle one on powerflows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LQ72_EpsM

StephenL
14-06-2011, 12:13 AM
hi there, thanks for posts,sounds like a plan, i would like to hear the zeros, lets try to organize something as my exhaust purchase is sooner than later

High Wycombe looks slap bang in the middle of Oxford/Reading/St Albans triangle.
Unfortunately, I can't do this weekend (I have to take the 260 to Germany to go to a wedding :drive), but I should be able to do any of the following weekends, if that isn't too late.

jamie
14-06-2011, 01:39 PM
may be a meet in two weeks time then, ive enquired about powerflows at top gear in aylesbury, saw the lads over there to see if a centre box could be fitted, they said no way , no room. i thought the rover 75 v8 had a centre box or are the rear boxes baffled to hell. i wasnt convinced there boxes would make that much of a difference,one of the guys had a ford f150 pick up with a 5.7 chevy in it with just a side exit single box, and my god he could not believe it when my car demolished his on the sound of the exhaust

jamie
14-06-2011, 01:40 PM
merl how bad is your boom, and in what rev range

colintf
14-06-2011, 01:42 PM
another option maybe to revert to standard quiet boxes and add the electronic trick exhaust valve that vents straight out at the touch of a button. Means chopping a small section out of the exhaust though so there's no going back (unless you also get a spare exhaust section)

brrm
14-06-2011, 02:04 PM
may be a meet in two weeks time then

If you mean 25/26 June, then I can do the Sunday only. Don't let me stop you if there's someone else with Zeros available, though. :)

colintf
14-06-2011, 02:05 PM
If you mean 25/26 June, then I can do the Sunday only. Don't let me stop you if there's someone else with Zeros available, though. :)

thats MG Live weekend, :cool:

brrm
14-06-2011, 02:05 PM
BTW I have unmodified Zeros, so they're a little boomy but I find it pretty easy to drive around; certainly doesn't bother me enough to take it all the way to Kent to have it fixed!

brrm
14-06-2011, 02:06 PM
thats MG Live weekend, :cool:

So it is! Do the 260s have an 'area' for that? I'm thinking it might be quite hard to get all the cars in one place if not.

colintf
14-06-2011, 02:08 PM
So it is! Do the 260s have an 'area' for that? I'm thinking it might be quite hard to get all the cars in one place if not.

parking in the V8 Register is an option, along with our SV / SVR cousins and RV8 / BGT V8's

AndyG
14-06-2011, 02:45 PM
....... if a centre box could be fitted, they said no way , no room. i thought the rover 75 v8 had a centre box or are the rear boxes baffled to hell.

Maybe the Gbox is smaller on the 75V8 and there is more room for a centre box?

colintf
14-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Doesn't Phil Evans have an additional silencing box on his (I'm sure he said he did at Combe)

probably easier and cheaper to change to Powerflow / Zero's though

Merl
14-06-2011, 06:03 PM
merl how bad is your boom, and in what rev range

Erm I can live with it lol. When I had some of the guys who had been in martin's S/C estate with Zeros on they said it "wasn't as bad" (zeros which Arthur (BRRM) now has I believe) but also been told in an estate the booming might be different as it resonates in the larger cabin more...

Each powerflow is different as you have them made up to how loud or quiet you want them. I wanted mine to come under 100db in case I tracked the car. I think most they have registered was 96db.

I think the booming is around the 2k mark but will go out later if I get chance and have a play as it depends on the gear and load on the engine. so if pottering a long it is ok but put your foot down for a few seconds and it is apparant but then not for long... will do some tests though.

Merl
14-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Doesn't Phil Evans have an additional silencing box on his (I'm sure he said he did at Combe)

probably easier and cheaper to change to Powerflow / Zero's though

He did colin!

See post here in the combe thread:

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?7773-Sat-11th-June-11-Castle-Combe-Classic-amp-Sportscar-Day&p=93594#post93594

Ajay
14-06-2011, 07:50 PM
High Wycombe looks slap bang in the middle of Oxford/Reading/St Albans triangle.
Unfortunately, I can't do this weekend (I have to take the 260 to Germany to go to a wedding :drive), but I should be able to do any of the following weekends, if that isn't too late.

Following weekend (25th/26th) is MG Live at Silverstone. So it's this coming weekend for me, the first weekend in July or one evening during the week.

Ajay
14-06-2011, 07:52 PM
may be a meet in two weeks time then, ive enquired about powerflows at top gear in aylesbury, saw the lads over there to see if a centre box could be fitted, they said no way , no room. i thought the rover 75 v8 had a centre box or are the rear boxes baffled to hell. i wasnt convinced there boxes would make that much of a difference,one of the guys had a ford f150 pick up with a 5.7 chevy in it with just a side exit single box, and my god he could not believe it when my car demolished his on the sound of the exhaust

Phil Evans has a centre box on his ZT260. Recorded a noise level of 80 dB at Castle Combe last weekend.

There :Duh I should remember to read all the posts before adding my twopenny worth

jamie
14-06-2011, 08:53 PM
sunday 26th sound s good to me , where and what time and hey, took my car out this afternoon and drew so much attention in a positive way, long live the v8

Merl
14-06-2011, 08:57 PM
If you make it a little bit closer to the North I can def come! I have no dog sitters that weekend so I am limited on timing but can make a lunch or something out of it ;)

Coasting
14-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I have x-powers on mine, but they dont seem too noisey at all unless I am gunning it, on the motorway I dont really suffer much drone.

The theory I have with mine is that they have been on since new or nearly new and have bedded in a lot (gunked up) and thus arent so noisey boomy.

Ajay
14-06-2011, 10:21 PM
sunday 26th sound s good to me , where and what time and hey, took my car out this afternoon and drew so much attention in a positive way, long live the v8

Sunday the 26th is tha last day of the MG Live event at Silverstone. A number of us will be there so if you can make your way in that general direction we can have mini-meet :D

If you make it a little bit closer to the North I can def come! I have no dog sitters that weekend so I am limited on timing but can make a lunch or something out of it ;)

As I started typing this I realised I can't recall if you're going to MG Live or not :Duh. Got the feeling you're not but hey, does Silverstone count as close enough north? :fhg

Merl
18-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Sunday the 26th is tha last day of the MG Live event at Silverstone. A number of us will be there so if you can make your way in that general direction we can have mini-meet :D

As I started typing this I realised I can't recall if you're going to MG Live or not :Duh. Got the feeling you're but hey, does Silverstone count as close enough north? :fhg

I have not bought a ticket as the longest I can be out of the house is 7 hours... so 2 hours there and 2 hours back gives me 3 hours for a mini meet!! and for jaimie to experience the powerflows and lunch lol.

Ajay
19-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Anything been firmed up for the 26th mini-meet? If it's near Silverstone, I could do in the afternoon on way out of MG Live. Don't know the area that well for good meeting places though :ash

StephenL
19-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Anything been firmed up for the 26th mini-meet? If it's near Silverstone, I could do in the afternoon on way out of MG Live. Don't know the area that well for good meeting places though :ash

I'd still like to meet, but since I'm just tagging along (with neither X-powers, nor Zeros) I thought I'd let everyone else work out what was convenient for them and then I'd come along if I could make it.
If you (Ajay) are driving back from Silverstone to Reading on Sunday afternoon, then presumably you'll pass fairly near Oxford/High Wycombe, so maybe one of the locals (Arthur or Jamie) can suggest somewhere...?

brrm
20-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry to be a pain, but I'm now going to be in Cambridge on Sunday. Am I the only person with Zeros available? I'm probably returning to Oxfordshire around 8-9pmish.

:ash

Ajay
20-06-2011, 01:37 PM
As posted earlier, I've got Zeros on my ZT260 but on the 25th/26th June I'm at MG Live, Silverstone. I can leave there earlier on the Sunday afternoon if a mini-meet is arranged. If it's around the Silverstone area (probably more north and west of rather than south and east) you might be able to tempt Martin (Merl) down with his Powerflows.

Merl
20-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I can be very tempted! Just wish I could go Silverstone as well.... Closer to the North the better for me but don't really know anywhere around there... Just I am time limited but as long as I get a clear run there i can spend a couple of hours doing road runs etc...

jamie
20-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Sorry gang about starting another thread today, did not realise this one was still going strong, still getting used to it, any way as reading is only 18 miles away from highwycombe ajay, shall we meet somewhere here or has anyone else got any ideas as to a location