PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Drew
08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi everyone, my first time on this forum. I currently own an MG Maestro Turbo, T16'd Maestro, half a Maestro camper and the missus has a 1980 mini, but recently the other half has announced that she is expecting our first child. So, a more reliable "family" car is required (don't worry, the MG is staying). Seeing as the MG ZT is a modern, safe, reliable car it fits the bill. The fact that it has nice V8 and is a limited edition keeps the boy racer in my alive.

So, I'm thinking of purchasing one fairly soon. I do have a couple of questions though.
I'm assuming that the car tax on most of them is about £250? But the later ones (post 2006) will be £450?
I notice that there is a list of recommended modifications to these cars to fix manufacturing issues. Are these relatively cheap to fix one's self or should I look for a car that has had these done?

Thanks for listening!

Ian

colintf
08-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Ian and welcome.

Best bet is to buy a car from a member on here. It's likely then that the mods have been done, and the cars past (including isues) could be traced by the posts that previous owners have made on here (but you would need an existing full member on here to do that untill you become an owner / full member)

Good Luck in the hunt

You don't say where you are - anywhere near Brooklands on this Suunday? There will be 65-70 of us there at the Brooklands MG day. if you can, come alomg, bring a Maestro amd come and chat to us.

:cool:

Drew
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Colin.

I actually live in St Albans, so only 35 miles away. I may have to work on Sunday, but if not then I will surely pop over for a visit.

Cheers,

Ian

colintf
08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Nice one Ian.

Hope we see you there :cool:

Merl
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Drew,

Can't really add anything that Colin has not already said except that a fair few of us are at Janspeed in Salisbury on Saturday as well, but that is a bit further out than Brooklands....

Any questions though don't hesitate to ask and same if you see any cars anywhere post a link up on here and we will see what we know about the car already.

Good Luck with the search!

John Newey
08-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi Drew and welcome. Hope you make it on Sunday-reckon there will be over 70 MG ZT V8's and Rover 75 V8's and that's a record! You'd be able to see (and hear!) what the owners think and then I feel sure you'll wanna buy one. Oh and by the way I have a very nice X-Power Grey 05 plate mk I for sale at £6900:D!

StephenL
09-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I actually live in St Albans, so only 35 miles away. I may have to work on Sunday, but if not then I will surely pop over for a visit.

I also live in St Albans and will be down at Brooklands tomorrow. Definitely get over there if you can - a great opportunity to see the cars and get advice from a bunch of friendly and hugely knowledgeable owners.

spartacus
10-04-2011, 07:42 AM
... a bunch of friendly and hugely knowledgeable owners. Hang on a minute - we're not all like that you know. I know bugger all :p

ColinE
10-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Hang on a minute - we're not all like that you know. I know bugger all :p

True enough :fight

spartacus
10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
True enough :fight

At least I'm honest - you just pretend to know stuff :p

ColinE
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
At least I'm honest - you just pretend to know stuff :p

True enough :)

Drew
11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately I was unable to make it :-(

At least you had the weather for it! Stephen, I'll keep a look out for a red V8.

Cheers,

Ian