PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

onzlo
17-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys does anyone know the price of an alternator ?? been quoted 120 plus 20 for belt.

is this not just a standard ford mustang part?

Pete

tonybubble
17-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Guys does anyone know the price of an alternator ?? been quoted 120 plus 20 for belt.

is this not just a standard ford mustang part?

Pete

Brown & Gammons quote £210! The best price I have been quoted is £120, so probably not a bad deal from your chap.

jenksman
17-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi Guys
There has been much written about alternators recently
Whenever I get problems I take the alternator off the car and drop it into my local auto-electrical Mr Fixit and they usually manage to fix it on the bench. Very often it's a case of replacing diodes or rectifiers, although on one occasion they changed the field winding, replacing the damaged winding with one I got from a scrap yard. This from a similar sized, same make alternator with different end plates.
They have a really ancient machine for testing alternators, it looks like something out of a Frankenstein movie but does the biz
The last one they did for me was off a Toyota Hilux, a very expensive part to buy new because there is a vacuum pump on the back for the brake servo system
Anyway check it out use your fingers to walk thro' the yellow pages and good luck
Jenksman

Tim
17-03-2011, 08:06 PM
We've managed to organise something through Pete on alternators I'm just about to create a new thread in the shop area. :)