PDA

View Full Version : alternator

onzlo
14-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi guys, I need to change my alternator and need to know how ? I am doing this myself and just wanted to ask how easy it is and where the tensioner is ? :confused:

Regards Peter

jenksman
14-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Pete
Three most important things to rememberbefore you start
Disconnect battery
Make sure the battery is disconnected
Check again that the battery is disconnected
Good luck
Dave

onzlo
14-03-2011, 05:09 PM
do you know if i have to disconnect battery??? lol (thats the only bit i did know) cheers

NOCTURNAL
14-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I'll be changing mine tomorrow Hopefully :)
only thing I can add is 3/8 Drive breaker bar to relieve the tension on the belt tensioner whilst you remove the belt. (make sure you make a note of the belt route before taking it off!!! or print it off from here. failing that I'll be interested in what the other responses are :)

ksilver
14-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I swapped mine out last year it was fairly straight forward.

As said a breaker bar is needed to relieve the tension on the serpentine belt which you can then remove from the alternator pulley.

(Working from memory now) There are 2 attachments low down on the front, loosen these (You don't have to fully remove these bolts as it will lift off when they are loose).

There are fixings over the top attached to a "U" shaped bracket, I think I completely removed that bracket. Only other attachment is the electrical connector at the rear (you should have already have disconnected the battery!) I can't recall exactly how that came undone, but after you have disconnected the wire the connector on the rear of the alternator needs to be removed from the old to the replacement.

Having never done it before and without instructions took me about 45 minutes.

Hope that helps.

ColinE
14-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Make sure the sat nav has shut down properly before disconnecting the battery