PDA

View Full Version : battery low light

onzlo
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi guys can anyone help,

I have been having problems with a drain on the battery, I have also got a near side side light out however it isn't permanently out its temperamental and some times flashes like a police car which then effects head light too.
Could this be the possible reason for the drain if its earthling out ?

Thanks Pete

Tim
08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Pete you need to get a meter on it to find what is staying on etc. Alternatively take different combinations of fuses out.

The lights failing seems localised so would start feeling around on the wiring to see it its snagged up on something which may be resulting in shorting.

Also while checking, the age of the battery may need to be taken into account.

ColinE
08-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Agree on the battery issue - when they start to go the electrics can go really wierd, at least they did on mine.

If the battery is draining, check the sat nav (if fitted) is shutting down properly

Also what daily mileage are you doing - needs more than a short trip to put back in what starting takes out

onzlo
09-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi Guys thanks for this, the battery is three months old the back up battery is five months old. I checked the sat nav and that is good, I have an auto electrician who is used to these beasts looking at it last week, yesterday, today, maybe tomorrow or even next week (obviously a busy man).
Fingers crossed it?s the light, the alternator is good as I checked that and as for mileage I love driving it and travel 4-8 miles to the shop that?s 1 mile up the road :D

Herman
09-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi guys can anyone help,

I have been having problems with a drain on the battery, I have also got a near side side light out however it isn't permanently out its temperamental and some times flashes like a police car which then effects head light too.

Thanks Pete

Do you have normal sidelights or LED ones. I had a similar problem with mine and had a dodgy LED. it also affected the Xenon on the same side.

Try replacing the sidelight first and see what happens. If not solved start looking for bad connections, specially earth strips and the like.

When I replaced my sidelight the problem disappeared

onzlo
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi Max

cheers for this, i do have blue LED'S yes. was your battery draining then even when car was not running?

Pete

Herman
11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Max

cheers for this, i do have blue LED'S yes. was your battery draining then even when car was not running?

Pete

Probably, but as I use the car daily, didn't really notice

onzlo
11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks Buddy

ColinE
12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I've LED's in mine and have had no issues and the car's no longer a daily driver - more like once a week now :(

Herman
12-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I've LED's in mine and have had no issues and the car's no longer a daily driver - more like once a week now :(

Needs must I guess, at least you can keep it on the road.

As far as the LEDs goes, mine developed a small crack on the soldered surface, leading to an intermittent failure which led to the flashing effect of the Xenon. Replaced for new LEDs and all is fine now.

onzlo
14-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi, further testing has lead me to believe it?s the alternator that?s shot!!

Battery is sitting at a reasonable level when left for some time now!

However once car is running the voltage is dropping off and at around 11 volts the low battery light comes on and at 10 volts the car cuts out !!!

I tested with volt metre and when revving the voltage still didn?t go up (this is wrong isn't it?)

thanks for all your input on this.

Pete

torque2me
14-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi guys can anyone help,

Thanks Pete

Pete,

Just had my alternator replaced. I thought it was the battery at first as it was five years old and I had been recently thinking how well the battery was doing. Thus, the battery was uppermost in my mind. A new battery did not solve the problem - as that was not the problem.

Car elec. company diagnosed an intermittent (in over 35 years motoring it has always been an "intermittent" problem) in the alternators electronic pack. New alternator solved it. Local tyre place did the swap. The kit is marked FoMoCo.

Question: How do you get into a a ZT-260 when the battery is totally flat and cannot even work the door locks.

Answer: With great difficulty :-(

regards,

Kev

AndyG
14-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Question: How do you get into a a ZT-260 when the battery is totally flat and cannot even work the door locks.

Kev

No problem power up here:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/albums/605/medium/FUSE02_Medium_.JPG (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2931&size=big&cat=605)

I have added longer bolts.

and earth lead to any good earth point.

AndyG
14-03-2011, 05:57 PM
It is the fuse box in the engine, on the right, at the front.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/albums/605/medium/FUSE04.JPG (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2932&size=big&cat=605)