PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Somerset

James C
03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is James Curgenven, I know a few of you, and met a few more at last years Kempenrit in Belgium.

I currently drive a ZT CDTI, but as I only drive short distances at weekends and once a month to Peterborough now I ride my bike to work daily, I feel it's time to retire the efficient Diesel and stick two fingers up to the Green Party and buy a 260 SE when it's a bit closer to insurance renewal time in the summer!

I look forward to learning more about what I need to keep my eyes open for :)

spartacus
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Welcome. It's a good time to be thinking about it. With fuel prices going up, the price of V8s will be coming down. There are always nice ones coming up, for various reasons. If you see one you like, ask about it here first as someone usually knows something about most of them!

colintf
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
good man James, I knew it was only a matter of time!!

We'll talk soon about V8's!

:cool:

Martin
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Welcome along, I did the operation the other way round I fancied a 260 ZT-T and just brought it......I had no idea how rare these are or anything about them........I am so glad of the forum and all the people there in, you will not be short of advise, help, and in some case's parts. Good to see another right thinking person.

James C
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
It's my friend's fault really, he's just bought a bright yellow Ford Mustang, and he's already complaining about the size, being LHD and attention it gets. I just want to show him how you can have the power & be on the correct side without the unwanted attention ;)

wraith01mg
03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Good thinking batman. That was my view entirely. And it had 4 doors, a big boot and better suspension than the mustang. Good hunting for your new 260.

AndyG
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Welcome. :D

Somewhere there should be a buyers guide. :confused:

AndyG
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Here is a link to lots of info:
http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html

:)

EDIT:
Buyers guide.
http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260buyer.htm

James C
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Cheers Andy, I've already been looking at all the info on spunagain's site. Very informative! :thumb

ksilver
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
without the unwanted attention ;)

Now that part depends on the exhaust :D

hainsie
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi James, see you on the 20th??

James C
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Now that part depends on the exhaust :D

Perhaps I should have said "when parked" ;)

Yep, see you on the 20th!

Stu C
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
It's my friend's fault really, he's just bought a bright yellow Ford Mustang, and he's already complaining about the size, being LHD and attention it gets. I just want to show him how you can have the power & be on the correct side without the unwanted attention ;)

Heya James!

Ah see the thing is, people see the Mustang and go "ooo nice" they see a 260 or for some of us hear it, and go "What the?...whats that?! oooo nice" :D

Just get one, you'll love every minute of it ;)

James C
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
To be honest Stu, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow, but I do need to sort some things out first, and leaving it closer to insurance renewal time makes sense in the grand scheme :)

colintf
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
To be honest Stu, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow, but I do need to sort some things out first, and leaving it closer to insurance renewal time makes sense in the grand scheme :)

talk nicely to Peter Best at insurance time James, when's it due?

Cheers

Col

colintf
03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
are you going to Brooklands James?

there's potentially 41 of us V8's going so far, so plenty to look at and people to ask questions of :)

Merl
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi James!

We sucked you in then ;) Can't really add to what has been said already as it is all good :)

James C
03-03-2011, 06:04 PM
talk nicely to Peter Best at insurance time James, when's it due?

Cheers

Col

14th of September, but also depends on what it would cost to cancel my existing policy earlier amongst other bits and bobs.

Stu C
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
14th of September, but also depends on what it would cost to cancel my existing policy earlier amongst other bits and bobs.

My insurance was due for renewal this year in June or whenever it was, cost me £31 to cancel and switch to another insurer last month :D - Adrian Flux who covered me with Groupama insurance.

There's no excuses y'know :fhg

kcv
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi James, welcome along. I live about 15 miles from Peterborough so if you are in the area and want to see another one (a ZTT) give me a shout.

Tim
03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
When you do start thinking about buying James ask about the cars you see and we'll help you out. :)

colintf
03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
JamesC....another (ex) TF owner :D

thats AndyG, Scarlet Fever, me and some others that escape my memory!!

tonybubble
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi James, welcome along. I live about 15 miles from Peterborough so if you are in the area and want to see another one (a ZTT) give me a shout.

James, I guess that I'm pretty local to you, so pleased to help, if I can.:)

greeners
03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome along James, ifyou fancy a MKI in silver, 146 is for sale

James C
04-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome along James, ifyou fancy a MKI in silver, 146 is for sale

Damn you with your temptingly cheap car! :head

Coasting
04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Have you any ideas as to which sort of one you are after? MK1/MK11, colours etc?

James C
04-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Have you any ideas as to which sort of one you are after? MK1/MK11, colours etc?

Well ideally I'd like a Mk 1 in Xpower grey with the boomerang spoiler, so it looks exactly the same as my current car to confuse the neighbors ;)

But I'm leaning towards a MkII due to things I've had to fix on the Mk1 (mostly replacing the entire radiator fan)

Colour doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. Must be the SE spec though and a Saloon.

colintf
04-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Well ideally I'd like a Mk 1 in Xpower grey with the boomerang spoiler, so it looks exactly the same as my current car to confuse the neighbors ;)

But I'm leaning towards a MkII due to things I've had to fix on the Mk1 (mostly replacing the entire radiator fan)

Colour doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. Must be the SE spec though and a Saloon.

some of the early mk2's suffer the same as mk1's, rear springs for example were the same up to about VIN #250.

If i was looking, I wouldn't discount a well sorted Mk1 SE.

One from an owner on here has its benefits, all their previous posts can be searched and past issues & problems / fixes identified ;)

Merl
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM

That is my mkI to a tee you are describing ;) hmm with the 260's isn't the mkII's that have fan problems?

Only downside to a mkI over the mkII is you don't have cruise control in the mkI unless you are lucky like me :D oh and the mkI's have the nicer (imho) rhodium dash. I also think the mkI looks more aggressive when the mkII looks more like a bmw with the headlights...

Don't get me wrong i love both and would never turn one down and would even be tempted towards a mkii for some of the colours but something always draws me back to the mkI.

Stu C
04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
To be honest James, there isn't that much problematic things to fix be it mark one or two. Many of the mark ones don't have the resistor so no probs with the fan there, mine is registered March '04 being #171 with no resistor. Only real thing is the rear springs but as a club that's taken care of.

Plus if you buy a members car, you're pretty much sorted with any issues ;)

Merl
04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
To be honest James, there isn't that much problematic things to fix be it mark one or two. Many of the mark ones don't have the resistor so no probs with the fan there, mine is registered March '04 being #171 with no resistor. Only real thing is the rear springs but as a club that's taken care of.

Plus if you buy a members car, you're pretty much sorted with any issues ;)

What Stu says ;)

Greeners car is a very nice example and a bargain price! just missing that boomerang spoiler but prob pick one up at some point if you definitely wanted one.

Some bargains out there at the moment!

James C
04-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah I'm definitely going to be looking at members cars as a primary source of one, it's always nice to know the previous owners and what they've had done in the past.

You can all stop tempting me for now though, as it'll be at least July before I'm in a position to fork over the cash for one (unless anyone wants a MK1 CDTI in Part Exchange in the meantime, then I may have to think twice ;))

greeners
04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
What Stu says ;)

Greeners car is a very nice example and a bargain price! just missing that boomerang spoiler but prob pick one up at some point if you definitely wanted one.

Some bargains out there at the moment!

I have one with boot lid awaiting painting......;)

Stu C
04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah I'm definitely going to be looking at members cars as a primary source of one, it's always nice to know the previous owners and what they've had done in the past.

You can all stop tempting me for now though, as it'll be at least July before I'm in a position to fork over the cash for one (unless anyone wants a MK1 CDTI in Part Exchange in the meantime, then I may have to think twice ;))

No, it's our missions now :D - Is it precious metal that's the dealer? He may take your in PX, as well as John at Summit Garage he's got a nice 260 for sale ;)

http://www.summitgarage.co.uk/used-car-sales.php?page=1

Merl
04-03-2011, 07:53 PM

Hehe cool!! how's that james anymore tempting?

Will Greeners take a cdti zt in exchange? you did say you couldn't afford to run the 260 so this is a close alterative....

James C
07-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Hmm, rang my insurance company for a curiosity quote today, would cost me £96 extra for the remaining 6 months of my policy on a generic 2005 model SE 260.

Anyone looking for a Diesel ZT? ;)

Coasting
07-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Not that I am after a diseasel but have you got any pictures of the car you are selling?

James C
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Not any current ones, although he could do with a wash this week before I head to Peterborough so I'll see if I can get some.

colintf
07-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Hmm, rang my insurance company for a curiosity quote today, would cost me £96 extra for the remaining 6 months of my policy on a generic 2005 model SE 260.

good result then James.

if only yours had a factory fitted sunroof I might of been interested

greeners
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Hmmm...may be tempted :):):)

colintf
07-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Hmmm...may be tempted :):):)

could this be a px deal coming along here :)

greeners
07-03-2011, 05:45 PM
could this be a px deal coming along here :)

easy tiger........

James C
07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
It's an 2003 (03) CDTI+ 135 with a Synergy 2 Tuning box on.

It's Xpower Grey, has done 104,000 miles and had the MAF replaced late last year with a proper Bosch one (although the Synergy 2 also has the MAFAM part of it for if/when the MAF starts to go out of spec)

I replaced the seats last year with full black leather ones as the blue Alcantara that were in there had worn through on the drivers seat.

It currently has a rather "home made" free flowing exhaust on, which in an ideal world could do with being replaced with a proper one piece fabricated one, although it does it's job and doesn't sound too bad for a tractor ;) I could have an OEM one refitted though. (I also had a quote for £425 for a new full stainless exhaust system from the downpipe back taking out the smaller diameter pipe Rover used from the Cat back to make the most of the cars breathing)

There is a small scratch on the back N/S corner that has been there since before I had the car, I've never got around to having it taken out, and there are general swirl marks over the car, but generally for a 100,000+ mile, 8 year old car it's in good condition inside & out and a good detail would remove 90% of the imperfections.

Even if nothing comes of this, it's nice to get the cars details down on "paper" so I have something to work from when I have it up for sale :)

I'll give him a wash on Wednesday and take a few photos.

Edit: Ohh he's also had the oil changed every 6,000 miles since I've had him with Fully Synthetic 5W/40, In fact he's due again next month so will have an oil change before anything happens anyway. Also last year I upgraded the brakes to the fronts from the 190/260 and fitted new discs and pads and stainless steel braided brake hoses on all four corners.

I'll add more details as I remember I've done something ;) Colin, Stu, if you think of anything else you know I've done that I forgot to list please pipe up :)

The EGR has been bypassed with a passthrough and the radiator fan was replaced with a Kenlow one, and the intercooler o'rings were replaced with Vitron ones.

I also got rid of the one weedy horn and fitted two stebel nautilus air horns into the front wings. Clear and easy to hear without sounding like you're attempting to recreate the 1812 overture.

ColinE
07-03-2011, 10:32 PM

And I know where there are some new in box ones about to come to market - just need painting

James C
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Some quick photos I took at lunch just after a quick wash.

You never know, someone might be interested ;)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=636980&id=708690500&l=932a6b1276

(should be a public album that anyone can view.

colintf
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
we can view them James :thumb

greeners
10-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Some quick photos I took at lunch just after a quick wash.

You never know, someone might be interested ;)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=636980&id=708690500&l=932a6b1276

(should be a public album that anyone can view.

James

I may be interested in a P/EX against No146.......;);)

James C
10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
That would be very interesting indeed!

colintf
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
posts #41 and #42

cough ;)

James C
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
posts #41 and #42

cough ;)

Hush you, nothing has come of it yet :p

Merl
11-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Ohh do I get commission? ;) :~

James C
16-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I has a nice full bank account now, next stop 260dom ;)

colintf
16-03-2011, 07:44 PM

good man :thumb

Merl
16-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Woohoo!!

Now then I wonder if Newey will swap my supercharged new engine and clutch out and stick it in the poseidon one he has FOC ;) as then my car fits all your requirements ;)

James C
16-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry Merl, I've struck a deal with Greeners in a PX deal. I can get you a good deal on a full respray if you like though ;)

colintf
16-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry Merl, I've struck a deal with Greeners in a PX deal. I can get you a good deal on a full respray if you like though ;)

well done James & Greeners - you swapping over at Brooklands?

Merl
16-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Hehe cool you won't be disappointed!! So mine and Stu's sales pitch worked!!

Hmm really? been thinking of a respray... and had been looking at vinyl.... Did see a nice paint in america as well....

James C
16-03-2011, 08:57 PM
well done James & Greeners - you swapping over at Brooklands?

That would be the most ideal outcome, yep.

colintf
16-03-2011, 08:58 PM
That would be the most ideal outcome, yep.

we'll even throw you a "James has just got himself a 260" party there......there are 50+ of us going to be at Brooklands :)

James C
16-03-2011, 09:07 PM
we'll even throw you a "James has just got himself a 260" party there......there are 50+ of us going to be at Brooklands :)

Will there be cake?

brrm
16-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Hmph, no-one threw me a party :p . Then again, a 260 is a one-man party the moment you turn the key. :D

James C
16-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I have to say though, I'm dead chuffed the insurance is about £300 cheaper on a 260 than it is for my current CDTI :lol:

Long live Peter Best's classic limited mileage policies!

ColinE
16-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Perfect then when you go green you'll have to visit the club shop

AndyG
17-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Will there be cake?

And use your exhausts to blow the candles out. :D

ColinE
17-03-2011, 01:09 AM
And use your exhausts to blow the candles out. :D

Which Master Baker is baking the cake then?

colintf
17-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I have to say though, I'm dead chuffed the insurance is about £300 cheaper on a 260 than it is for my current CDTI :lol:

Long live Peter Best's classic limited mileage policies!

great result then James :thumb

Stu C
17-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Excellent James! :D See you at Brooklands then? - And Germany in Sept?! ;)

colintf
22-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Good to see you on Sunday James.

I know you can't wait to get your hands on your new 260 toy and access to the rest of the info within this forum.

The waiting must be tourture, but will be worth the wait!!

James C
22-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Greeners has gone very quiet, I'm beginning to wonder if he still want to go through with parting with his baby :(

Unless of course he just hasn't seen the PM I sent him yesterday :ash

colintf
22-03-2011, 12:00 PM
guess that depends when you sent it and when David was last logged on last night.

i tend to leave looking at PM's till i get homes, as if i need to find some info to reply and have opened the PM at lunchtime I will probably forget that I need to reply to the PM later on that day if you know what I mean.

James C
22-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Over 24 hours ago now! :O

Can you tell I'm annoyingly overeager to get a 260? ;)

colintf
22-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Over 24 hours ago now! :O

Can you tell I'm annoyingly overeager to get a 260? ;)

no, just eager to get it :)

greeners
22-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Greeners has gone very quiet, I'm beginning to wonder if he still want to go through with parting with his baby :(

Unless of course he just hasn't seen the PM I sent him yesterday :ash

James

I'm on nights at the moment and life is a bit hectic in the house at the moment...

If I don't PM you tonight, I'll drop you a message tomorrow at some point.....(The joys of shift work !!!!)

James C
22-03-2011, 03:17 PM
James

I'm on nights at the moment and life is a bit hectic in the house at the moment...

If I don't PM you tonight, I'll drop you a message tomorrow at some point.....(The joys of shift work !!!!)

No probs, like I said I'm just like a kid in a candy shop at the thought of getting one :)

tonybubble
22-03-2011, 03:31 PM
No probs, like I said I'm just like a kid in a candy shop at the thought of getting one :)

Good news, James (and David). Seems that all is well. :) Will be good to have another owner in Somerset. Whereabouts are you by the way? Edit - noticed belatedly that your location already tells me this. :o

James C
22-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm in Minehead.

tonybubble
22-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm in Minehead.

Ah, home of the XPG ZT-T 260. :)

James C
22-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Ah, home of the XPG ZT-T 260. :)

Yep, was speaking to the chap the other day, I'm taking the 260 round to show him when I get it so I'll push him this way if he's on the 'net :) (I think he's a member of the MGOC anyway)

colintf
22-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Yep, was speaking to the chap the other day, I'm taking the 260 round to show him when I get it so I'll push him this way if he's on the 'net :) (I think he's a member of the MGOC anyway)

good man :thumb

James C
25-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Never have the days dragged out so long as when you're waiting to collect something like this!

All I can take solace in is that it's a matter of days now, not months as it could have been when I first started looking :)

colintf
25-03-2011, 09:14 PM
it'll be worth the wait James.

drove mine today, the first time its really done any miles since last October / november.

It was a great day today!

reverie158
29-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Excellent choice. :) Good to hear you're joining the club!

Cheers,

Justin

colintf
08-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Not long now James!!!!!

colintf
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
good to see you again today James, hope you get your new toy very soon :cool:

colintf
17-04-2011, 07:27 PM
any good news yet James?

James C
17-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Not at the moment, no.

Tim
18-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Stop nagging the man. :D:D

No pressure James. ;)

AndyG
18-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Stop nagging the man. :D:D

No pressure James. ;)

We need another in the West Country. :D

James C
18-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Hopefully soon.

I'm sure I'll have a pleasant surprise one day :)

Herbie
05-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi Curgy, I'm also here .... just everywhere in the MG-world ;)

colintf
05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi Curgy, I'm also here .... just everywhere in the MG-world ;)

will be seeing you again soon (2 months time) Herbie :)

with Internet the MG World is much smaller than it used to be!

Herbie
08-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Too true Col ;)

Curgy get in gear ... I've read a certain status :D

Stu C
08-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Too true Col ;)

Curgy get in gear ... I've read a certain status :D

Me too, C'mon James! http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/danglecarrot.gif

colintf
13-05-2011, 05:38 PM
do we get an announcement and pics soon James?

Have a great day tomorrow ;)

colintf
15-05-2011, 06:01 PM
well done, and very nice James http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150614325350501.683836.708690500&l=a3195dcdd4 :thumb

Scarlet Fever
15-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Just a quick note to say that James is now the proud owner of a Pearl Black, Mk2 260 :)

Emma & I drove down from Essex to Minehead with Nicole & Sue in the back of the ZS yesterday so that Nicole could buy James' CDTi & then he could pop round to see Tony to buy the V8.

I'm sure he'll be along soon to post here, but i am sure he's far too busy driving his new toy to bother with the internet! :D

colintf
15-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I trust you and our "Honoury members" Nicole & Sue (from Kempers last year) got back ok and had a great day. I am sure I heard their laughing as you all passed Bristol :)

James C
15-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm green! :D

As was said, I am now the very proud owner of #455

colintf
15-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm green! :D

As was said, I am now the very proud owner of #455

good on ya mate :thumb

Tony told me the good news at the Petroc event today

Now you've truned green, there's plenty to read! Your very welome to add your name to any of the future events threads as well James