PDA

View Full Version : HELP Rear Springs

Paul Francks
17-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm Paul anf have just joined your forum. But I am in trouble big time and really need your help

I have had my 54 plated Mark 1 260 since buying it at the factory clearance from the receivers with 21 miles on the clock- it now has over 50k!

My problem? try two broken rear springs. Now the big issue- I cannot find any replacements- not even from the on line breakers.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Paul

reverie158
17-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Might be worth giving the MG Owners Club workshop a call - it's Ian Wallman on 01954 234001.

They fitted some for me a few weeks ago for the MOT.

Cheers,

Justin

Eric
17-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Need a pair to :(...Black_Betty had them made last year and what I understand knows someone who can produce them. PM'd him but haven't got an answer back yet....

greeners
17-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Welcome along

I was in the same position as you and got a pair from Steve (Black Betty)

I've got one original one that you can have if you can track down another. Hopefully get you on the road short term.

You could try Scooter (Brian) as he may be able to halp you out as well.

greeners
17-02-2011, 11:54 PM
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID004215

Rimmers are showing stock, but at £235 EACH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ColinE
18-02-2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID004215

Rimmers are showing stock, but at £235 EACH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beat me to it - yep they are indeed showing stock - price is 'a tad steep'

Herman
18-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Need a pair to :(...Black_Betty had them made last year and what I understand knows someone who can produce them. PM'd him but haven't got an answer back yet....

As you're in The Netherlands, try Merwede Springs in De Meern

http://www.merwede-springs.nl/

colintf
18-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi and welcome Paul

good luck finding some

you could try here : -

comebellack are breaking one down in Cornwall (Roche, Nr St Austell) its had a really heavy front impact.
01726 891100 ask for Chris

:cool:

Paul Francks
18-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Colin- many thanks

The phone call has been made and they are now checking- fingers crossed.

If yours has been round Le Mans try these:-

Goodwood
Donington
Cadwell
Mallory
Curborough sprint Nr Lichfield

It helps being a Marshal!

Regards

Paul

Paul Francks
18-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi Dave

Rang Rimmer Brothers- hurts to do that

Bad news- they have a stock of the replacement springs- coils at the bottom , not the top, but no mounting blocks.

X Power have no mounting blocks either and frighteningly- no idea who is going to make any! so based on the the "gold plated" Rimmer items might find it difficult finding homes

Fingers crossed for the scrap yard

Thanks to all for your suggestions- I'm working through them

Paul

colintf
18-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Colin- many thanks

The phone call has been made and they are now checking- fingers crossed.

If yours has been round Le Mans try these:-

Mallory = done!
Curborough sprint Nr Lichfield
Goodwood = on my list to do
Donington = done!
Cadwell

It helps being a Marshal!

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, good luck withteh scrapper!!

Mallory = done!
Goodwood = on my list to do
Donington = done!

:cool:

Tim
18-02-2011, 08:33 PM
The club is holding a new rear set for £220 plus postage for any member who is desperate. :)

ColinE
18-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm Paul anf have just joined your forum. But I am in trouble big time and really need your help

I have had my 54 plated Mark 1 260 since buying it at the factory clearance from the receivers with 21 miles on the clock- it now has over 50k!

My problem? try two broken rear springs. Now the big issue- I cannot find any replacements- not even from the on line breakers.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, we have a set available through the club shop - be quick as I may need them myself

Get your questionnaire and MGOC number through to Tim and you'll have access to the whole site and a wealth of info on these great cars - as well as the great stuff I have in the shop;)

scooter
19-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Have some s/h ones. Found them at thr factory a couple of weeks ago.

Paul Francks
20-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Gang,

Good news- The MGOC will supply and fit the springs - £380 fitted so booked it in on Friday- sorry Tim but I didn't see your post until afterwards.

Told these are being made to order so fingers crossed they work.

The odd thing is that I have never broken srings before- is this a design fault?

I have towed with my car- caravan to Goodwood- with no problem other than 16MPG, but collected my kit car on a trailer in the summer so wonder if thats what did it

Either way we should have another 260 on the road shortly!

In passing - rear tyres- I am getting through Contis and Bridgestones in around 5k miles- is this my lead foot, (or frightening the local hot hatch), or is this normal? i note Paul's 520 looks to be hard on its rears

Regards

Paul

kcv
20-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Springs are a common fault on the earlier type of spring and 5000 miles for rear tyres is not uncommon so it all seems perfectly normal to me.

ColinE
20-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi Gang,

Good news- The MGOC will supply and fit the springs - £380 fitted so booked it in on Friday- sorry Tim but I didn't see your post until afterwards.

The odd thing is that I have never broken srings before- is this a design fault?

I have towed with my car- caravan to Goodwood- with no problem other than 16MPG, but collected my kit car on a trailer in the summer so wonder if thats what did it

In passing - rear tyres- I am getting through Contis and Bridgestones in around 5k miles- is this my lead foot, (or frightening the local hot hatch), or is this normal? i note Paul's 520 looks to be hard on its rears

Regards

Paul

Early springs did have a tendency to fail, rear tyres 5 - 6k is not unusual, it's about what I got from my Toyo's and Vredstreins

Loads of info on both topics available when you get your details to Tim and go green :D

nick260
04-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Wise Ones,

see my previous pleas for help, just bought a rear pair from Rimmers (Feb) for my pride and joy (54 plate with 45k miles) on cllock for £198 + Vat for the pair. If you want pricey, ask them about rear discs !,

regards

ColinE
04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Yep - their disc prices are crazy, thats one advantage of being a full member on here, you get access to the club shop where we have discs available at 50% of Rimmers prices

Paul Francks
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Good news!

The rear spring were replaced at the MGOC workshop on Thursday for £474 including pre check and MOT. Only difference I can feel is that the rear end now feels slightly softer, but not by much. With the car now legal I can enjoy it on the road

Paul

Tim
06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Good to hear Paul

Did you join up while you were there?

Good news!

The rear spring were replaced at the MGOC workshop on Thursday for £474 including pre check and MOT. Only difference I can feel is that the rear end now feels slightly softer, but not by much. With the car now legal I can enjoy it on the road

Paul

Paul Francks
06-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi Tim,

I took the plunge and joined- got a discount from the workshop as a sweetener which helped.

Had a good look at the ZT500 as it was being delivered back from Gaydon- what a beast of a car- shame about the fuel leak but that's from standing.

One warning from the workshop, and it was a surprise. The parking brake shoes for the ZT260 are now unavailable, but they can get our old items relined. It shouldn't be a big issue for us as we are not stopping in the linings, just holding

Regards

Paul

Tim
06-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Good man! Let me have your membership number and you'll notice you have a lot more to read now. :D .......and in green.

Hi Tim,

I took the plunge and joined- got a discount from the workshop as a sweetener which helped.

Had a good look at the ZT500 as it was being delivered back from Gaydon- what a beast of a car- shame about the fuel leak but that's from standing.

One warning from the workshop, and it was a surprise. The parking brake shoes for the ZT260 are now unavailable, but they can get our old items relined. It shouldn't be a big issue for us as we are not stopping in the linings, just holding

Regards

Paul

ColinE
06-03-2011, 08:33 PM
And don't forget he'll have access to the shop (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)

Nich
06-03-2011, 08:45 PM
And don't forget he'll have access to the shop (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)

Is this the one Colin?

http://www.luxortraveltips.com/eating/foodshopping.htm

:~

Nich

ColinE
06-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Very good! Alas no

torque2me
04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi Everyone

Can anyone help?

Regards

Paul

Paul,

There is a company that does produce the springs. The name escapes me just for the moment but it is well known in the trade. I met the MD at a trade fair about three years ago. At that time the fronts were in production and the rears nearly ready to be manufactured (it might be the other way round). The springs were manufactured in the Netherlands and if I come across the full details I'll let you know.

regards,

Kev

torque2me
04-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Gang,

Regards

Paul

Paul,

Always had 5k on Conti's, but 7k on Avon ZZ3's. You'd think the Germans might know a thing or two about getting high mileage on ersatz rubber but apparently they don't. Still can't beat a Michelin for mileage (perhaps not road holding) but relatively expensive.

cheers,

Kev