PDA

View Full Version : se or not?

cooky6660
12-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi
Does anyone know which the best one is to go for? what are the main differences, i know about the leather seats etc. Theres a red 55 plate 26000 miler on ebay that looks quite interesting.
I dont realy want to get caught out if the non se is worth a lot less??
Any info would be greatful
regards
cooky

black olive
12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
pros and cons, SE more toys but heavier

the only thing that would swing it for me would be HID headlights, but Im vain :ash

condition and full history are more important.

cooky6660
12-12-2010, 12:08 AM
pros and cons, SE more toys but heavier

the only thing that would swing it for me would be HID headlights, but Im vain :ash

condition and full history are more important.

Thankyou..................

Tim
12-12-2010, 12:19 AM
If you like your toys then the mg mk2 SE but getting a standard has a good level. You will not need the radio. :)

Stu C
12-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah about the only real differences are radio (with sat nav) no rear leccy windows and no leather seats, oh and no extras like heated seats/cruise etc... I was looking for any V8, but going from a 190+ kind of wanted to retain rear lexccy windows and stuff so went for SE.

However, a red non SE would definatly be worth a look, just think the ZT is awesome in that colour :)

Coasting
12-12-2010, 12:26 AM
The xenons one one of the main reasons I wanted an SE, very hard to reto fit...

Stu C
12-12-2010, 12:45 AM

To be honest, i've not found a difference between projectors and Xenons. Only the cool flick thing it does when you turn them on

wraith01mg
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Mine is not an SE. but does have rear blind, heated leather/alcantra seats and brg carpets. + a 2din dvd satnav thing. the only thing that i thought was a bit of a downer when i looked at the car was wind up rear windows, where my non SE 180+ auto has full single touch electric. so i did not know that was not standard. However I don't sit in the back so no longer care. So I guess my view is less stuff to go wrong. You can also uprate if you want to (electric seats etc). ebay is great for this.

colintf
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
sunroof was main reason I went for an SE.

:cool:

wraith01mg
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
sunroof was main reason I went for an SE.

:cool:
oh yes got one of those as well. In this weather forgot i had one hee hee.

ksilver
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a non-SE but came with Apex and Sunroof. Have since added alcantara seats and have an electric sun blind waiting to be fitted.

I think the only other thing I would like would be cruise control (although car came with steering wheel cruise buttons?) but I do believe it could be retro fitted by someone like Conrad Anderson and would utilise the OE switches. But then I don't think it's the type of car that would suit cruise control, I think it begs to be "driven" :drive

Ajay
12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a non-SE but came with Apex and Sunroof. Have since added alcantara seats and have an electric sun blind waiting to be fitted.

I think the only other thing I would like would be cruise control (although car came with steering wheel cruise buttons?) but I do believe it could be retro fitted by someone like Conrad Anderson and would utilise the OE switches. But then I don't think it's the type of car that would suit cruise control, I think it begs to be "driven" :drive

Cruise control is good for the long distance boring motorway driving:). Trying to have fun with the car on the M-roads can win you lots of lovely points and journeys by bus :(. The CC helps limit the use of the heavy right foot ;)

SH4RKY
12-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Technically my car is 100kg lighter.... you would have to pay a few tens of thousands to get that kinda of weight reduction in a Ferrari or Lambo...

haha ;)

I'm pretty sure they would weigh almost the same. No idea where that 100kg value came from. Maybe SEs came with a tank of fuel...

John Newey
12-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Have to say it comes down to personal choice and though there is a weight saving, I haven't heard any one say that the non SE's are any quicker cos of being lighter. Personally I went for an SE because I just knew that I'd want some of the "toys" when I saw other peoples cars. As for the electrics, I've done over 55,000 miles now in the two SE's I've had and the electrics have never been a problem. Whichever car you go for-just know you'll lurve it:D!!

cooky6660
12-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to all that got back to me regarding question. Hopefully i can strike a deal with the guy who owns the red one on ebay this week. I will keep you all informed.
regards
cooky

black olive
12-12-2010, 11:56 PM
fingers crossed

ksilver
13-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to all that got back to me regarding question. Hopefully i can strike a deal with the guy who owns the red one on ebay this week. I will keep you all informed.
regards
cooky

Prepare to be assimilated :fight2:D

Coasting
13-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I was thinkning about that red one when I was looking if you can get it for a good price go for it, the SE has more stuff but the simplicity of the non SE makes it still a very good purchase,

I have had both and being a bit older wanted some more creature comforts, but love the non SE, especially the lack of traction control, no button to turn off, just did its thing!

JohnB
13-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Well mine is a non SE (although with electric rear windows, Alcantara seats and Xenon headlights) and I don't regret it for one minute. No traction control is a bonus from what others have said. I just went for the best condition I could find and it just hapenned to be non-se, would have bought either.

PS no sunroof drains to worry about :)

Keith
14-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Do you mean from a cost perspective
as it is a doddle DIY

I have a spare set I removed from one of my CDTs for if I should ever need a replacement as a result of a misguided decision involving me going to fast and hitting something of the unintentional nature. :D

Coasting
14-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Mainly the cost as second hand xenons units seem hard to come by and costly, but I have heard it hard to fit because of the wiring?

I am the first to admit my experience from this comes from dealing with Audis so maybe it is not such an issue with the MG.

PS if you have a spare passengers side xenon headlight unit you want to sell I may be interested!

:D

wraith01mg
19-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Prepare to be assimilated :fight2:D

"resistance is futile"

John Newey
19-12-2010, 04:15 PM
All I can say is that I can't recall having to fit a xenon headlamp in any of the thousands that we've worked on, always been spot on.

Merl
19-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Well the MkI SE does not come with Cruise or Traction Control but I was lucky enough to have the wiring harness for both so I now have factory fit Cruise control but chose not to have the traction control even though it would of been cool to have a MkI with all the buttons ;) though would of been a pain to keep turning it off!

Basically if you want Cruise control and Traction (don't recommend the Traction) then it is doable to fit to a car! If you are lucky enough to have the loom already in or for a bit more expense if you get someone to make a new loom up. It is more cost effective to buy a car with all the toys than to fit them yourself. Just depends how important the colour is and how long you are willing to wait for one to come up.

AndyG
19-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I fitted an after market Cruise Control to my Astra.
Simple motor driven cable pull and a few wires to: Switch on/off, an off sensor on the Clutch and Brake.

Stefano
27-12-2010, 06:32 AM
i would like an aftermarket cruise. only missing toy i really miss. where can u get these?
steve

Stefano
27-12-2010, 06:34 AM
sorry i meant retro factory fit cruise
steve

Merl
27-12-2010, 03:29 PM
sorry i meant retro factory fit cruise
steve

I will look up the part numbers when I get a chance! Some parts you can not get like the 260's cruise throttle cable but the ford one does work but it's like 3 times the length.... Might be able to shorten it down but not looked at it yet. oh and mine is currently bolted to the bulk head using a sturdy ZS or ZR Horn bracket.

I will make a new thread on it and post all the details there, the only thing I don't know is the cost to make up the wiring loom for it if you don't have it in the car already.

Stefano
27-12-2010, 04:26 PM
brilliant thanks
steve

Coasting
27-12-2010, 11:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-V8-Cruise-Control-ECU-NEW-A2-/110456465650?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19b7b7e8f2

Dont know if you needs this but came across it on flea bay

Merl
27-12-2010, 11:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-V8-Cruise-Control-ECU-NEW-A2-/110456465650?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19b7b7e8f2

Dont know if you needs this but came across it on flea bay

Yup that is one of the items! The other Rimmers was doing for £160ish but now it is about £50 :) http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-SCC000010

You also need the steering wheel switches (cheaper 2nd hand) and the brake and clutch pedal switch which one is the same as the cdti (or both could be) and the other is out of stock but you can source it from a bmw or landrover I think... will have to go through all my stuff to see as I my mind is fuzzy currently as I have woman flu which is worse than man flu lol
Just had a search on ebay for the cruise control cable but nothing found. So will check after new year when I assume everyone will be listing again and make a new thread hopefully with everything in!

Failing that keep an eye out at the scrap yard for a mkII SE that has bit the dust :(

Stefano
28-12-2010, 12:33 AM
many thanks guys
steve