PDA

View Full Version : My 260 is for sale

gjt100
23-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Everyone, its been a while since i have posted. I hope you are all well.

:(Sadly my 260 is up for sale. My wifes hours have been cut for the winter so its time to reduce outgoings. I'm probably going to look for a zt/75 CDTI (this will be my 4th in the range!). Yes, before you say, i know it wont compare!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260681336238

I anyone has any interest, please PM me and i will be happy to give you all the info you need.

This car has been owned by me for a year and was previosly owned by David Nash (another 260's member). The car made the two sixties January 2008 news letter some may remember.

Regards

Graham

colintf
23-10-2010, 05:20 PM
sorry to see you selling Graham

:cool:

gjt100
02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Guys,

Alot of interest and a couple of offers but no takers yet.

Price reduced!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260681336238

Regards

Graham

tonybubble
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi Guys,

Alot of interest and a couple of offers but no takers yet.

Price reduced!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260681336238

Regards

Graham

Listing no longer there, Graham.

Contemporary
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Listing no longer there, Graham.

Try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260681336238 :)
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260681336238)

gjt100
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260681336238 :)
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260681336238)

Many thanks. Not sure what happened there?

Phil
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Graham,

Sadly I am not in the market for another 260. I remember David having the car converted to LPG and I remember he was very pleased with it.

Do you know any details of what is wrong with the system? Just for interest. I have an LPG converted car, but it's not a 260.

Thanks

Phil

gjt100
02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Graham,

Sadly I am not in the market for another 260. I remember David having the car converted to LPG and I remember he was very pleased with it.

Do you know any details of what is wrong with the system? Just for interest. I have an LPG converted car, but it's not a 260.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

I dont have much of a clue really. For some time i thought it may have been more of a general engine problem and i had been replacing parts all over the shop (coils, plugs, EGR etc).

I think the car probably had a number of small issue's when i bought it which i suspect were down to David not using it for a while before he passed onto the trader. David told me it had been sitting for a while.

The car spent some time with Corin Messenger about a month ago for MOT and i think he was pretty impressed. Corin had a good look at the engine and could find no fault with it apart from the LPG not working. Because LPG is not one of Corin's specialties he wasnt able to look at it further.

It may be something as simple as the fuel trims are out, sticking injector or valve but dont really have any LPG knowledge, so am only guessing.

The car runs perfectly on petrol and i havnt tried the LPG for some time now as the tank is empty.

Regards

Graham

MichaelG
02-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I used to have an LPG system on a Ford Scorpio about 10 years ago.

We had a few problems where it would cut out all of a sudden after driving on LPG, especially in the cold.

It was a long time ago, so the systems may have changed considerably. Get ready for a very non-technical description:

it turned out the problem was that not enough hot water reached the higher parts of the lpg engine bits, the bit that got very cold, it was easy and cheap to fix.

might be worth a look?

re-tread
03-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I had the same problem with an old Triumph Herald I had which was gas converted (25 years ago though). If I let the coolant run low it would allow the regulator to freeze cutting off the gas. After it did this to me a couple of times I made sure I always had petrol in it !!!!

woolleysox
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
talk to Bernard LPG a site member and im sure he could advise you. I beleive he converted his own V8 260 to LPG

gjt100
03-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys but im not really looking to get the LPG fixed now.

I have priced the car as if it was petrol only and am giving the next owner the opertunity to look to get fixed if they wish to try and save something on running costs.

I have already spent far too much money on this car on parts, upgrades etc. Also, the wife would kill me if i spent any more cash on it. especially as i am selling to cut general household outgoings. I dont feel i would recover the money spent getting it fixed.

Regards

Graham

woolleysox
03-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Good luck with your sale its a great looking car for someone to enjoy.

Mean Green
06-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Graham

Lovely car. I have PM'd you

greeners
06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
If you want to swap numberplates Graham ;)......the wife would never notice, they're both silver

gjt100
09-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to run something past everyone if you dont mind.

I had a call from a German chap (from Germany) this afternoon who seemed really interested in my car. The chap explained he was coming to england this Saturday to collect a Rover 75 V8 he has just bought and wanted to look at mine while he was here and potentailly pay cash and take the car with him if he liked it.

He really did seem to know the 260 as he asked some specific questions that only an enthusiast would know (did mine have any rear diff noise, aircon compressor noise). He seemed genuine enough but i just wondered if i am beeing blind to something. Can anyone see a risk which i am not seeing.

I would also be interested to know if anybodys knows who;s 75 V8 they are collecting.

Thanks guys

Graham

AndyG
09-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to run something past everyone if you dont mind.

I had a call from a German chap (from Germany) this afternoon who seemed really interested in my car. The chap explained he was coming to england this Saturday to collect a Rover 75 V8 he has just bought and wanted to look at mine while he was here and potentailly pay cash and take the car with him if he liked it.

He really did seem to know the 260 as he asked some specific questions that only an enthusiast would know (did mine have any rear diff noise, aircon compressor noise). He seemed genuine enough but i just wondered if i am beeing blind to something. Can anyone see a risk which i am not seeing.

I would also be interested to know if anybodys knows who;s 75 V8 they are collecting.

Thanks guys

Graham

Cash is as cleared funds as you can get!
. Make sure the notes are real. ;)

Is he known to this site?

AndyG
09-11-2010, 09:31 PM
How did he hear about your car??

gjt100
09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
He saw the car on Ebay.

I did mention the Two-Sixties but he was not aware.

His name is Jörg Erkens, after doing some Google digging i think he might have something to do with this garage.

http://www.carservice-erkens.de/partikelfilter.html

Fingers crossed!

Thanks

greeners
09-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Ask him which V8 he's buying, there's one on ebay (midnight blue flood damaged new engine) and pistoneheads I think, the gold high mileage one.

See if you can contact the seller to make further enquiries.

colintf
10-11-2010, 05:45 PM
PM / email Klaus and see if he knows of him ??

spartacus
10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
We had the same last year wen the boss sold her Mazda3. Guy came from Malta and paid cash. We took him to the bank and paid the cash in before giving him the car. Worked fine... and that was on Christmas Eve :D

Tim
10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm guessing he is buying up cheap and selling with a good mark up as our cars are worth more across the water.

Checking the notes are real is the best bet. No cash no sale I think.

precious metal
11-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Graham

i think everyone has given you the correct things to be aware of. if he wants to pay in cash i would go to your bank with him and pay it straight in !! just to be safe.

that car would be worth 12k+ euros to him if he is thinking of passing it on in germany.

not sure how he will get hold of £8k cash sterling in germany though, prior to his journey. if its euros definitely go to the bank before you part with the car.

goodluck

JB

AndyG
11-11-2010, 02:33 PM
It's a good exchange rate for him at the moment :)

gjt100
11-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks eveyone for the advice. I have made a point of asking him to make sure any cash is stirling. Not sure if this will be a problem for him or not. I can see it might be.

I would really like to drive to the bamk and pay the cash in before they leave, but i dont know of any bank with a cashier open on a Saturday afternoon.

Just have to see what happens. Im probably getting ahead of myself. They may not even want it, or they may offer me silly money.

Thanks once again. I will let you know what happens.

Graham

precious metal
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Graham

i dont know of any banks open after lunchtime saturday. just use common sense, if in doubt of a anything dodgy just let him walk.

i would be nervous of taking £8k at my house on a saturday pm and having to keep it safe as you cant bank it until monday am !!!! and there is no way of checking the cash.

we dont take cash anymore over £1k and thats even being a dealer, 99% of transactions are done through cards or bank transfer etc

your safest bet is to go to your bank with him monday am if he really wants it and sort out payment through your bank

goodluck anyway

JB

Herman
12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Don't most banks now have paying in machines?

Put in your card to verify account, put in cash.
It will be counted and deposited straight in the account.
Fake notes will be picked up on as well.

I know HSBC has them and some others.

colintf
12-11-2010, 06:05 PM
good luck graham, hope all goes well :cool:

gjt100
13-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi,

Well, the Germans have been and gone. I am still the owner of a 260 for the mmoment.

It was all pretty positive as they really liked the car. They had a few concerns about getting it registered in Garmany as i dont have a German LPG installation certificate (not sure why i would have). Anyway, they have taken a load of information away and intend to collect the car next weekend if they establish they can get one issued retrospectivly upon inspection in Germany. They are apparently coming to pick another car up from Birmingham next weekend which is handy.

They were really nice guys and it turns out their garage (Erkens) prepared all of the ZT and 75 press cars over there. They did seem to know everything about the cars.

Anyway, for the moment thee car is still for sale.

Thanks

Graham

Herman
13-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Well, the Germans have been and gone. I am still the owner of a 260 for the mmoment.

... They had a few concerns about getting it registered in Garmany as i dont have a German LPG installation certificate (not sure why i would have). .....

Anyway, for the moment thee car is still for sale.

Thanks

Graham

I assume you do have a UK issued Certificate of Conformancy (CoC)
The LPG installer should have supplied one.

I know that in France this has to be a Certificate in French but in general a EU-country issued certificate should present no problems with acceptance in other countries.

gjt100
13-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I assume you do have a UK issued Certificate of Conformancy (CoC)
The LPG installer should have supplied one.

I know that in France this has to be a Certificate in French but in general a EU-country issued certificate should present no problems with acceptance in other countries.

Yes i have the UK certificate. I just think it was something they were not 100% on so couldnt take the risk. They have taken details of the UK certificate so hopefully that is all they need.

Regards

Graham

Herman
13-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes i have the UK certificate. I just think it was something they were not 100% on so couldnt take the risk. They have taken details of the UK certificate so hopefully that is all they need.

Regards

Graham

Fingers crossed and hope it works out for you...:)

gjt100
18-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi All,

No response from the Germans yet.

I have reduced the price to £7495-00 for the last few hours on Ebay.

If it doesnt go for this then i can justifyably keep it (well thats what i will tell the wife!):D

Regards

Graham

colintf
18-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi All,

No response from the Germans yet.

I have reduced the price to £7495-00 for the last few hours on Ebay.

If it doesnt go for this then i can justifyably keep it (well thats what i will tell the wife!):D

Regards

Graham

kind of hope that you keep it then :)

gjt100
21-11-2010, 11:15 AM
kind of hope that you keep it then :)

Well that is what i was thinking, but that unfortunatly after talking with the other half and Xmas being round the corner i have decided to put back on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-MG-ZT-SE-V8-260-SILVER-/260696164913?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cb2b3ca31

Its very strange. i had a real flurry of interest about 10 days ago with five or six people seeming really interested, then i never had any further communication with any one of them since last weekend. Seems a bit odd:confused:. Just the way it goes i suppose.

Thanks

raham

colintf
21-11-2010, 05:24 PM
good luck with the sale.

If you decide to take it off, I may be interested in the towbar

gjt100
24-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Now £7,345-00 :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260696164913&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks

Graham

Coasting
24-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I saw yours on EBay before I bought the one I did last week and to be honest the LPG thing put me off because it is not working properly and I would have seen it as something to sort out...

Good luck with the sale though

gjt100
25-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I saw yours on EBay before I bought the one I did last week and to be honest the LPG thing put me off because it is not working properly and I would have seen it as something to sort out...

Good luck with the sale though

Yes, i can understand why some people see it that way. Its almost getting to the point where it may now be more viable to get it looked at or taken out!

Regards

Coasting
25-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I would, I didnt really want or need one with LPG, so if i was you I would get it removed or repaired...

The one I bought is almost identical but a bit higher mileage, but has a warranty, very similar money...

colintf
25-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Yes, i can understand why some people see it that way. Its almost getting to the point where it may now be more viable to get it looked at or taken out!

Regards

is it worth getting an estimate of what is wrong and costs to rectify?

gjt100
25-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I would, I didnt really want or need one with LPG, so if i was you I would get it removed or repaired...

The one I bought is almost identical but a bit higher mileage, but has a warranty, very similar money...

Yes, but mine doesnt need a bumber respray and the dash doesnt flicker!;)

Of course this has crossed my mind. The problem is i really dont have the spare cash at the moment.

One factor is that when i originall decided to sell i already had an interested party who would have taken the car as it was. He however needed to sell another car of his in order to raise the funds but is just too busy and hasnt had the time. This is actually another member of the 260's. I may just hold onto it and see if there is still an opertunity there in the spring.

Just out of interest, where did you buy yours from? I think i have an idea who it might be.

Regards

Graham

Coasting
26-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes, but mine doesnt need a bumber respray and the dash doesnt flicker!;)

Of course this has crossed my mind. The problem is i really dont have the spare cash at the moment.

One factor is that when i originall decided to sell i already had an interested party who would have taken the car as it was. He however needed to sell another car of his in order to raise the funds but is just too busy and hasnt had the time. This is actually another member of the 260's. I may just hold onto it and see if there is still an opertunity there in the spring.

Just out of interest, where did you buy yours from? I think i have an idea who it might be.

Regards

Graham

It probably is the one you are thinking of! Won't confirm just yet as it is a bit early, but I think it is a good one, few things to sort as you say, but hopefully nothing major!

It is a second car, so bits and bobs will be done as I go along! I couldnt afford to buy one without warranty at the end of the day becuase the other half will go spare if I am faced with a massive bill early on! The warranty at least covers major things which is a bit of peice of mind.

gjt100
07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

Really good news! I have managed to fix my LPG!:D

I spend Saturday morning reading up on how LPG systems work and came to the conclusion that the engine was definitly being starved of fuel. I changed the LPG filter as planned, located the LPG reducer and with half a turn of a screw (to increase the LPG gas pressure) it was all sorted. Now LPG is running on a par with Petrol.

I am releaved and also a bit embarassed that thats all it took. Now i cant decise what to do. Do i keep it or sell it?

Regards

Graham

tonybubble
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Great news Graham - well done.:applause

Perhaps keep, at least for a while and enjoy the fruits of your labour. :)

damienp
07-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Keep it, keep it, keep it. Why let someone else benefit :)

Coasting
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
We will all say keep it!

Sounds like a good one you have got, I would suggest getting a diesel shed if you have lots of miles to do, I was going to sell my diesel to make way for the V8, but now I am keeping both as the ZT is insured very reasonably on a classic car policy.

They don't make em like this anymore so it is worth hanging on to it before we all get banned for altering the alignment of Jupiter or some such nonsense!

:)

colintf
07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I spend Saturday morning reading up on how LPG systems work and came to the conclusion that the engine was definitly being starved of fuel. I changed the LPG filter as planned, located the LPG reducer and with half a turn of a screw (to increase the LPG gas pressure) it was all sorted. Now LPG is running on a par with Petrol.

I am releaved and also a bit embarassed that thats all it took. Now i cant decise what to do. Do i keep it or sell it?

Regards

Graham

well done Graham. Keep it mate if at all possible. it hasn't sold yet for a good reason :thumb

Herman
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

Regards

Graham

Well done for sorting it yourself:thumb must be a sign on the wall.

Best thing to do is keep it:-

Don't let your new found knowledge go to waste
With LPG working now running cost will be less
When will you ever own a car like this again?You know it makes sense:D

ColinE
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Well done for sorting it yourself:thumb must be a sign on the wall.

Best thing to do is keep it:-

Don't let your new found knowledge go to waste
With LPG working now running cost will be less
When will you ever own a car like this again?You know it makes sense:D

Have to agree - if you can keep it!

kcv
08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Keep it, at least until you've had a good chance to try it and decide.

gjt100
28-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Back advertised again. A few people got very close but no takers yet!

Now £7000-00 no offers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260728875905&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3D R40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D26072887 5905%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Thanks Guys

Tim
28-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Good easy advert to read Graham, hopefully go to an enthusiast

2V8s
28-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi Graham,

I could be seriously interested, as you may have seen my car is basically unfortunately written off, but I couldnt afford to run one unless it had LPG. So Im glad you got it fixed.

I will hopefully know in the coming week what the outcome will be. There is still a chance I could supply parts myself or keep the car and get a pay out and fix it, but with nearly 3 times the mileage of your car I am thinking its not a bad move to throw in some extra money for yours and let mine go.

I have to be honest though and say Im not so keen on the 1/2 leather & alcantera

ksilver
28-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

Regards

Graham

Missed this at the time, what info did you find on the LPG for reference purposes.

Tim
28-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Swap it out sharpish. Don't you remember when the Corsa ploughed into you all the seats got swade'd. :)

I have to be honest though and say Im not so keen on the 1/2 leather & alcantera

gjt100
30-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi All,

On the LPG i simply looked on the internet and found some people who had similar issues which were resolved by increasing the gas pressure on the regulator.

I found a diagram of my LPG regular which showed the pressure screw on the top. I gave this half a turn and it made a massive difference. General consensus on the forum i was looking was not to turn it more than this if you dont really know what you are doing (could cause gas to leak of send mixture out of whack), but it could be that a further 1/4 turn might improve things further.

I did initially reported the lpg was running on a par with petrol. after driving for a while on LPG again the performace on petrol is beter but LPG is miles better than it was.

Slightly annoyed with myself as well as i re-read some emails i had from the previous owner (David Nash) and he said he had intended to get the gas presure increased but didnt have time. I totally missed this and could have saved myself loads of trouble if i read his emails properly.

Anyway i am happy to give anyone a demo and any inspection is welcome.

if anyone wants to have a look just PM me of give me a bell!

Not much i can do about the alcantara seats im afraid. They are the heated ones though!:D

Regards

Graham

ksilver
30-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I think what is more annoying is that you've had professionals look at your system and none of them have spotted the problem and rectified it.

Merl
30-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I know ColinTF likes my dark grey Alcantara and this looks to be the same as is quite rare from what I can gather but could be wrong.

So like Tim says switch the seats over or see if Colin wants them and switch with him?

colintf
30-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I know ColinTF likes my dark grey Alcantara and this looks to be the same as is quite rare from what I can gather but could be wrong.

So like Tim says switch the seats over or see if Colin wants them and switch with him?

I'm keeping my full leather Martin, but yes they do look nice.

If they were Blue Alcantara and heated / elect i might of been tempted, but as I know from my TF its hard to keep Blue Alcantara clean (I ended up buyinga good second hand pair and putting in the TF and taking the mint ones out and storing them.