PDA

View Full Version : Driver side exhaust heat shield

Jumturbo
12-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and unfortunately do not own a 260:mad: Instead I own a 56 plate 1.8t160:mad:. However, I've owned the car since it was 1 year old with 8000 miles on the clock and even now, nearly 3 years later it's only just done 25000 and head gasket still in tact!:D
Anyhow, Tim kindly said I could post up on here as the car is having a stainless quad cat back system on Tuesday and I need the driver side heat shield bumper trim. Cannot seem to get one anywhere, not even on ebay! You can get the earlier ones, but the face-lift forget it! Has anyone on here got a spare one, or knows of the wherabouts of one? If not I'll have to settle on a modded passenger side, or fit two 05-on ZR items, which seem like they'll go on ok. Thanks for any help and maybe one day I'll brave buying a V8! Mind you most will say you need to be braver to buy a 1.8t!:D

Herman
13-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and unfortunately do not own a 260:mad: Instead I own a 56 plate 1.8t160:mad:. However, I've owned the car since it was 1 year old with 8000 miles on the clock and even now, nearly 3 years later it's only just done 25000 and head gasket still in tact!:D
Anyhow, Tim kindly said I could post up on here as the car is having a stainless quad cat back system on Tuesday and I need the driver side heat shield bumper trim. Cannot seem to get one anywhere, not even on ebay! You can get the earlier ones, but the face-lift forget it! Has anyone on here got a spare one, or knows of the wherabouts of one? If not I'll have to settle on a modded passenger side, or fit two 05-on ZR items, which seem like they'll go on ok. Thanks for any help and maybe one day I'll brave buying a V8! Mind you most will say you need to be braver to buy a 1.8t!:D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-V8-Style-Exhaust-Heat-Shields-NEW-A3-/110467319915?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19b85d886b

damienp
13-09-2010, 12:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-V8-Style-Exhaust-Heat-Shields-NEW-A3-/110467319915?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19b85d886b

Scandalous !! It's an absolute disgrace. :mad:

ColinE
13-09-2010, 12:40 AM
V8 parts pricing has taken an unpleasant leap upwards recently - even from friendly suppliers!

damienp
13-09-2010, 12:44 AM
V8 parts pricing has taken an unpleasant leap upwards recently - even from friendly suppliers!

I wonder if its true that the zr ones could do, and if so, what do they cost. It might actually be cheaper - for a change. Mind you, i might be looking into this myself, as i quite fancy twin 4 inch pipes, on either side.
And no, i wont hide behind a sofa :lol:

Jumturbo
13-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replys, but I've seen this pair on ebay before and they are for the pre-face-lift model. My car is the face-lift model and they differ quite considerably. Forgot to mention as well that my car is a ZTT and I thinks saloons may differ from estates slightly too.
I've offered up the 'face-lift' ZR item on both sides and they will do the job. They are the most symetrical of them all and will fit both sides ok I reckon with little mod. Rimmers and Brown and Gammons sell them but they are about £22 + vat +p/p. I've got one on ebay a while back for £10 and have ordered another from B&G. At a push you'd get away with another passenger side on the drivers. For now I'm running none until I can fit both at the same time! Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll have twin/quad pipes!:D
PS. I've blacked out the lower section of the rear bumper where the cut-outs are, so even with the shields removed it will look quite tasty!
PPS. Remember, my car is a facelift ZTT and I've not checked to see what will fit the earlier models!

greeners
13-09-2010, 03:18 PM
The exhaust trims are different between both saloon and tourer and MKI and MKII

so you get

Saloon MKI N/S
Saloon MKI O/S

Saloon MKII N/S
Saloon MKII O/S

Tourer MKI N/S
Tourer MKI O/S

Tourer MKII N/S
Tourer MKII O/S

Eight different bits of trim......No wonder they ran out of money......

greeners
13-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Scandalous !! It's an absolute disgrace. :mad:

Why ?.........

damienp
13-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Why ?.........

For a little bit of metal - that's why my friend. Come on, surely you agree it's over the top?

Jumturbo
13-09-2010, 05:47 PM
To be honest, £25 each is probably not bad. They are stainless steel and I suppose there is quite a bit of labour involved to produce them, albeit on a machine, but someone has had to do the original design, measuring and setting up. Mind you, if you go on Rimmers website and look up the ZR heat shields, you'll see they are selling the later ones for £25ish, but the early ones are a ridiculous £70 a piece!!! Not sure why as they are smaller, but that I have to say is extortionate! And you only get one!!:confused:
One thing that does bug me though, is that they don't provide the stainless nuts and bolts. Oh no, they are an extra 80p each.....and that's for one nut OR bolt!:mad:

greeners
13-09-2010, 06:37 PM
For a little bit of metal - that's why my friend. Come on, surely you agree it's over the top?

It's more then the cost of the part, it's the complete design shipping, storage and so on....£50 a pair is cheap.....the Xpart price is a tad expensive

Tim
13-09-2010, 08:44 PM
You are all missing the point, you're not supposed to help Jumturbo. Sell him a V8. :D

Welcome along ;)

Jumturbo
14-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Beware anyone planning a similar mod! Last night I told my insurance co about the exhaust mod being done today. I was astonished when they said they could no longer insure me if I went ahead with the mod! ......and my insurance would be void if I went ahead with it!:mad:
Enter compare the market.com!
However the cheapest quote I got is £250 more than my current insurance!
Anyhow, I've bitten the bullet and gone for it. Insurance terminated with 1st Central and new policy with Admiral.
Quad pipes are a dear do.......probably cheaper to insure a 260!:o

AndyG
14-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Beware anyone planning a similar mod! Last night I told my insurance co about the exhaust mod being done today. I was astonished when they said they could no longer insure me if I went ahead with the mod! ......and my insurance would be void if I went ahead with it!:mad:
Enter compare the market.com!
However the cheapest quote I got is £250 more than my current insurance!
Anyhow, I've bitten the bullet and gone for it. Insurance terminated with 1st Central and new policy with Admiral.
Quad pipes are a dear do.......probably cheaper to insure a 260!:o

Welcome, Soon ;)

damienp
14-09-2010, 01:35 PM
You are all missing the point, you're not supposed to help Jumturbo. Sell him a V8. :D

Welcome along ;)

He can buy mine - for fifty million quid, and its worth every penny :D

Jumturbo
14-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Well the quad pipes are on and look fantastic. Sounds fantastic too and at tickover would even fool the untrained ear into thinking it was a 260! However, inside the car is a terrible boom as you approach 3000 revs and beyond!:o
Been reading up on the subject of 'boom' and looks like I might need a resonator to calm things down and/or maybe a bigger centre box as the original looks pretty puny. I hope I can sort this out as I'd say the noise inside the car is almost unbearable at certain revs!

AndyG
14-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Well the quad pipes are on and look fantastic. Sounds fantastic too and at tickover would even fool the untrained ear into thinking it was a 260! However, inside the car is a terrible boom as you approach 3000 revs and beyond!:o
Been reading up on the subject of 'boom' and looks like I might need a resonator to calm things down and/or maybe a bigger centre box as the original looks pretty puny. I hope I can sort this out as I'd say the noise inside the car is almost unbearable at certain revs!

Welcome to the (abeit 2000rpm) 260s exhaust challenge :p

Jumturbo
15-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes. Must say I am still pretty chuffed with the exhaust. Sounds really good at tickover and burbling along at 2K revs and then again at about 4K revs, but inbetween and above is the problem. Funnily enough it is relatively quiet on the outside though! Spoke to the exhaust co and they said let it bed in for a couple of weeks and if it's still bad they'll look at fitting an extra silencer in the mid pipe which hopefully will solve it. Apparently when they make the silencers, the wadding is tightly packed in and needs time to settle and carbon up. Will keep you posted.

AndyG
15-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Apparently when they make the silencers, the wadding is tightly packed in and needs time to settle and carbon up. Will keep you posted.

It will lose it's tinnyness, but you will still get the boom. :D

colintf
15-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I have no boom with my XPowers :)

ColinE
15-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I have no boom with my XPowers :)

I've never noticed a boom but only ever driven mine with Xpowers on, so whatever noise it makes is 'normal' and usually pretty loud :D:D

AndyG
16-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Verb, to Boom. :o

http://thumbsnap.com/s/UDigzAnW.jpg (http://thumbsnap.com/UDigzAnW)

Another Boom: :D
http://thumbsnap.com/s/P6qRaxt9.jpg (http://thumbsnap.com/P6qRaxt9)