PDA

View Full Version : Lucky escape...Sunroof needed

thunderbird2
30-08-2010, 04:43 PM
On my way home from Burford today I was overtaken on the A40 by a flat bed Transit loaded with a beaten-up banger racer. He was towing a trailer loaded with another banger. (I wouldn't ususall get overtaken but I was towing myself at the time) Anyway, as the TW*T passed at 80+mph a piece of debris flew off one of the wrecks and with a VERY loud bang, hit the leading edge of my (open) sunroof, shattering it. :mad::mad::mad:

We are extremely lucky that the debris didn't enter the open roof as it would have hit my 7 year old daughter sitting in the back of the car.

I've called plod and have to go to the nik tomorrow to make a statement.

Any suggestions on who may be the best people to approach to get a replacement sunroof fitted?

Thoroughly relieved and utterly pissed off from Prestwood.

Darren

pessling
30-08-2010, 04:46 PM
there you go Darren, give les an email, he'll probably do you a deal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Sunroof-Glass-BRAND-NEW-R35-/200407263401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM# ht_910wt_911

thunderbird2
30-08-2010, 04:53 PM
there you go Darren, give les an email, he'll probably do you a deal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Sunroof-Glass-BRAND-NEW-R35-/200407263401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM# ht_910wt_911

Thanks for that. Ever fitted one?

Darren

pessling
30-08-2010, 04:58 PM
No i haven't. I'm sure someone will be along to help who has.

Stu C
30-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Bloody hell Darren, glad everyones ok. Jesus what is it with 260's and trailers at the moment :(

Such a horrifying bang though when something hits the bodywork. I've fitted a sunroof in my 600 saloon, managing to get the headlining out in one peice without bending, once all that sort of stuff is out the way, it *ahem* should be straight forward to fit.

gaz the gas
30-08-2010, 06:28 PM
find him and shoot him........the end

colintf
30-08-2010, 07:58 PM
so sorry to hear that Darren. I am just glad that the sunroof was the only casualty.

I knew I had seen one for sale and Pete has provided the link. Good luck mate :thumb

thunderbird2
30-08-2010, 08:48 PM
find him and shoot him........the end

Shoot? No. I'll boil the wank*r is a cauldron of his own p*ss!

Sorry,m But I'm a bit vexed!

Why, oh, why is it legal to transport a piece of junk on a trailer when said piece of junk is only used for scrap race driving??? If it isn't road legal on it's own then why is it legal on the back of a transporter?????

NOT happy from Prestwood.

D

Tim
30-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Are you pursuing the scrotes Darren?

Shoot? No. I'll boil the wank*r is a cauldron of his own p*ss!

Sorry,m But I'm a bit vexed!

Why, oh, why is it legal to transport a piece of junk on a trailer when said piece of junk is only used for scrap race driving??? If it isn't road legal on it's own then why is it legal on the back of a transporter?????

NOT happy from Prestwood.

D

rls
30-08-2010, 10:21 PM
It is very easy to change the glass, undo 6 torx screws and it lifts out....

...make sure when you put it back, RAVE says to raise the rear above roof level by 1mm, and lower the front below roof level by 1mm (from memory, can check if you don't have RAVE)

Hope this helps, (can pdf the relevant pages if you want.......)

ColinE
30-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Christ that was a close one, so glad no-one was hurt, well until you catch up with the feck-wit

2V8s
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
HI,

so presumably the culprit doesnt know this occured or did he stop?

Keith
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
There is a National Lottery add on as I am reading this with a six storey high transporter loaded with VW Golfs!...........

Anyway as RLS said changing the glass is simple Rave covers it reasonably well any other damage?

thunderbird2
02-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Didn't get the reg number and he didn't stop. The old bill gave me a crime number should I wish to claim on the insurance but with the excess of £100 it simnply isn't worth it. No other damage luckily. Though I'm inconvenineced and annoyed about the sunroof, it pales into insignificance when I think of what might have been a terrible disaster. Charlotte still has no idea how lucky she was.....

black olive
02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
sorry to hear this Darren, what a pain in the hoop, hope its just the glass and you sort it soon.

at least it doesnt need paintwork, even if you cant see the repair you know its there

Blue Flash
05-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Have a peep over on ebay 290469926514 complete unit (glass cartridge and motor)from a ZT 1.8T 2004 and as it happens same county as you :) looks like a straight swop and plug in.