PDA

View Full Version : Heater valve

Will.S
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I've spoken with Phil re his 260 that I've just bought and I need a few opinions on a 'radiator water' smell Im getting from time to time.
I don't get it until I slow down and travel in slow moving traffic, it doesn't always happen but has done about five times in the last week.
Also when the aircon is switched to econ unless I'm moving fast the air coming into the car is very hot?
I'm now worried that this is the Heater valve problem, Phil's advised me what to look for and I will do it first thing tomorrow morning.
If it is the case how much is the uprated valve and where/how soon can I get one?
Any help greatly appreciated

SJR
06-08-2010, 09:05 PM
If we are talking about the same Phil. I thought he fitted one of the new valves?

SJR

Will.S
06-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Just got a really helpful pm from Phil (spunagain), Gona look tomorrow and check all he has advised. He said it was the one mod he hadn't done so I think I may do it to be safe. He also said re the hot air that they are always like that during the summer, I've just come from a 160 zt so I'm not used to it!:)

ColinE
06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Will you really need to go green to get access to so much more

Contact Tim if you're unsure (details on email you got when you registered)

black olive
06-08-2010, 11:54 PM
the original valve seals break down and they leak both internally allowing hot water past and externally through the spindle, hence the coolant smell.

get yourself green and my replacement valves are available from the shop. Ic cold air is an option with the new valve fitted and good aircon.

ColinE
07-08-2010, 12:05 AM
He's gone green!!!!

~JJ~

Will.S
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
the original valve seals break down and they leak both internally allowing hot water past and externally through the spindle, hence the coolant smell.

get yourself green and my replacement valves are available from the shop. Ic cold air is an option with the new valve fitted and good aircon.

I'm in! It's indiana Jones finding a lost cave but without the snakes, tip top.
Do you think from my description that the heater valve is defo on the way out?
Obviously I will look for the tell tale signs tomorrow as phil advised.

SJR
07-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Thats not the Phil I was thinking about. I was thinking of wilton carpet Phil.

SJR

black olive
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
take the plenum cover off, you may see coolant weeping out.

a leaky valve looks like this

Will.S
07-08-2010, 05:46 PM
take the plenum cover off, you may see coolant weeping out.

a leaky valve looks like this

Cheers for that, haven't had a chance today but looks like Sunday morning scrabble about coming on! Thanks again for the pic.