PDA

View Full Version : Do I use polish or wax after claying ?

GeoffW
03-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Peter, following your advise yesterday I have ordered some R222, is it ok to
put on after claying??? I presume its a wax not a polish ???

SteveW
03-08-2010, 07:22 AM
R222 is a wax, so ideally you should apply a polish after claying follwed by the R222.
Generally its the polish that gives the shine, and a wax is applied over the top to protect it and retain the shine for longer.

pessling
03-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Yep totally agree. Polish for shine, wax for protection. The more wax the more protection and the easier it is to wash, plus you get the lovely beading of the water.

SH4RKY
03-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Thats one stage... ok two... that I'm missing. Clay & Polish.

pessling
03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Thats one stage... ok two... that I'm missing. Clay & Polish.

Usual car washing for me anay way is:
Snow foam (depending on condition of car)
wash two bucket method
rinse
dry with drying towel or if claying i don't bother
if claying wash again
dry again with the drying towel
polish
wax

If you don't use your car leave it a couple of days as long as still clean and dust free and wax again to build up the layers.

spartacus
03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
If you don't use your car leave it a couple of days as long as still clean and dust free and wax again to build up the layers. I don't think my car is ever clean just after a day, even if I don't use it. Perhaps you can't see the dust as well on silver as you can on black?

I keep telling myself to stop buying black cars, but then another happens along... :ash

SH4RKY
03-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Truth. Although a quick blast over with the detailing spray that comes with the clay should remove dust etc ready for another wax.

pessling
03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Truth. Although a quick blast over with the detailing spray that comes with the clay should remove dust etc ready for another wax.

yes that is very true, the comment wa aimed more to the people who are able to put there cars away in the garage. If your keeping the car outside then would definately need a gentle wipe over.

GeoffW
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that guys just ordered some of this , http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/r222/gloss-enhancing-paintwork-cleanser.aspx

willow
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Maybe a stupid question but what's "Clay"????? :confused:

Nich
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Maybe a stupid question but what's "Clay"????? :confused:

Try this Andrew:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care/detailing-clays.aspx

Nich.

pessling
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
there is a guide to claying in the detailing section as a sticky

ColinE
03-08-2010, 11:58 PM
there is a guide to claying in the detailing section as a sticky

Here

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=4723

I followed this the first time I clayed mine - the difference in the car was astounding

Nigel Lewis
18-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Also use R222, and have found it to be excellent.
After claying, I also use P21S, which is a paint cleanser(made by same people as the R222) before applying the R222.

gaz the gas
18-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I find 1 gallon of elbow grease works wonders......

AndyG
18-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I find 1 gallon of elbow grease works wonders......

A fiver to the Polish/Lithuanians does me.;)

ColinE
18-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Did that last week and ended up with an 18 inch strach on the bonnet :mad:

AndyG
18-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Did that last week and ended up with an 18 inch strach on the bonnet :mad:

I've been luck so far. (Tree hug)
:)

ColinE
18-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I had been till then!

willow
19-08-2010, 10:52 AM
That's really interesting. I'd never actually heard of detailing clay!

Time to give it a try I think!

Thanks.

ColinE
19-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Neither had I, did mine for the first time before Brooklands this year and was amazed at the difference

GeoffW
24-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Also use R222, and have found it to be excellent.
After claying, I also use P21S, which is a paint cleanser(made by same people as the R222) before applying the R222.

I agree Nigel, after trying many many other polishes and waxes this is the best,
easy to use and the shine is fantastic, thanks peter for the recommendation :)

pessling
25-08-2010, 03:22 PM
have tried versious waxes and the r222 is a very nice one, both in results and applying. have some dodo juice purple haze for the tvr to try when the weather improves

SH4RKY
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Guess a similar question to OP...

I found some old Mer Ultimate polish in the garage so decided to give that a go after giving the car a clean yesterday. Seemed to reduced marks and surface scratches very nicely. I didnt bother use any wax after though as from the description on the bottle it seem liked it was sort of a wax anyway. claims to protect and whatnot. Mer dont seem to have any wax on the web site too, just the polish...

hmm... Guess it wouldnt have hurt to put some merguirs gold on top... but to be honest i had spent the best part of 5 hours cleaning the thing so applying another layer and buffing off wasnt high on my priority list! haha

Still havent clayed... but found that light pressure with a finger nail while polishing removed most noticeable stuck on debris.

ColinE
12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Guess a similar question to OP...

I found some old Mer Ultimate polish in the garage so decided to give that a go after giving the car a clean yesterday. Seemed to reduced marks and surface scratches very nicely. I didnt bother use any wax after though as from the description on the bottle it seem liked it was sort of a wax anyway. claims to protect and whatnot. Mer dont seem to have any wax on the web site too, just the polish...

hmm... Guess it wouldnt have hurt to put some merguirs gold on top... but to be honest i had spent the best part of 5 hours cleaning the thing so applying another layer and buffing off wasnt high on my priority list! haha

Still havent clayed... but found that light pressure with a finger nail while polishing removed most noticeable stuck on debris.

Mer gives ok results, mine had been Mer'd for my first Brooklands meet, last year, clayed, cleaned, polished and waxed - results were far superior but did take a day or two longer

stevemiller
13-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Usual car washing for me anay way is:
Snow foam (depending on condition of car)
wash two bucket method
rinse
dry with drying towel or if claying i don't bother
if claying wash again
dry again with the drying towel
polish
wax

If you don't use your car leave it a couple of days as long as still clean and dust free and wax again to build up the layers.

Indeed this is how its done, no short cuts for a long lasting shine.

Steve.

SH4RKY
14-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Mer actually says leave the car wet or if its dry apply with a damp cloth. Thought that was a result as drying the car is usually the most annoying and often leaves marks etc.

pessling
14-10-2010, 12:50 PM
if your really lazy autoglym aqua wax isn't bad, was car, then apply the wax straight onto a wet car. works well if you need some quick protection.