PDA

View Full Version : Another one for sale

ColinE
27-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Nowt to do with me

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=65512

colintf
27-07-2010, 08:44 PM
If i was in the market for one, it would be Pete's that I would be going for :)

Oddcat
28-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Blimey Colintf - are you on commission !

colintf
28-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Blimey Colintf - are you on commission !

no, just think its much better value, and Pete's is a great car that is known to many of us :thumb

Oddcat
29-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope so ! It does look fab (speaking as a silver convert).

I did look at some of Peters previous posts and he seems the sort of chap who likes to get things fixed (I guess he had an engineering approach to ownership being an engineer). This I like (as a potential buyer) as I really can't afford to buy a bad 'un (my engineering skills can be written in marker pen on the back of a stamp). I'm also sure he'd be honest about the car and would be pleased if it went to a good home and to someone who will love it.

Quite confusing though re the number of improvements that he may, or may not, be leaving on the car and what they increase the value by - or decrease it by if removed. This plus the fact that these cars are rare and therefore difficult to value fairly. Am quite big on fairness and wouldn't buy unless both sides considered a deal to be fair - have no interest, for example, in doing a deal that the vendor feels is poor. Especially as I need them to treat the car with great care once a deal is agreed of course ! So I'd rather walk away than do that.

It's a long time since I bought a car privately (maybe 15 years) and it's a different process I guess and perhaps a little more emotional than dealing with car dealers.

Re Petes car there is also the plate change (how does that work with insurance in the interim for a buyer ?) and distance to collect etc.

Would defo need the big rear number plate - I love those. I wonder if the car will go back onto it's original number and the original plates are in Petes garage ?. I should ask him really rather than ramble on here !

SteveTD
29-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Oddcat - Hi,

I'm slightly confused by your approach to searching for a 260 and the questions you seem to be raising. You are in danger of over-complicating what is a relatively straightforward issue. You want a nice 260 and don't want to overpay. The best 260 for sale right now is Peter's. Is circa £8k without mods a fair price - I think we, as a group, are all agreed it is.
If you want to pay £6k you will get a 260, but it won't be as good. It you want to pay £10k you will also get a 260 that may as good as Peter's, then again it might be one that isn't but SMC want their usual premium (!)

If you haven't fully researched the mods, their value and the effect on the car's performance, appearance etc, I wouldn't get to focused on what mods are or aren't coming with the car right now otherwise you are in danger of missing out. Unless of course, these questions are an indirect negotiation tactic........;)

Anyway, good luck with your search and I hope you find what you are looking for. :toast

Regards

S

Oddcat
29-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Steve

I agree - I am in danger of making a dogs dinner of this.

I'm usually bloody terrible at car purchase negotiation though in the sense that I've generally fallen in love with the thing before price is discussed. Is odd all this hypothetical malarkey.

I should probably just see the car, make an offer and stop fannying about !

OC

pessling
29-07-2010, 02:44 PM
i've never sold a car privately, so this is all new to me, even buying cars i've only ever brought from dealers even the resent purchase of the TVR was a dealer of sorts.

As for the private plate. I'm waiting to get the TVR on monday then unfortunately i have to wait for the V5 to turn up before i can transfer my private reg from the ZT to the TVR.

I don't have the original plates as SMC rover done the transfer for me when i brought the car. Was looking at putting the reg on retention but cost wise was put off and plus since i have brought the TVR i can swap straight away once i have the V5.

As far as i'm aware if i sell you the car with my reg on it and you take it away its yours, which i obviously don't want as it was a 21st birthday present and is mine.

But if you want to take the car and if i can get a contract arranged if you want the car that is guaranteeing the transfer of the reg back to me?

Or wait around 4 weeks for the sodding paper work to come through.

The plan is if i can get the TVR up my drive way then the ZT still insured etc etc will be moved to my uncles drive and covered over as a temp measure so that i don't have any of the cars on the road.

Nich
29-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Does that mean that whoever buys your car Peter will have to re-register it and it will be on a 2010 plate? Really don't know the complexities of this process.

:confused:

Nich.

SteveTD
29-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Oddcat

For what it's worth xpower exhausts are highly desirable (I loved them and wouldn't consider a 260 without them) but very much personal preference. Gotta be worth at least £350? I know a pair on ebay went recently for over £500? The MG7 lights I wouldn't be too bothered about though. The upgraded sat nav has got to be worth a look?

S

SteveTD
29-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Does that mean that whoever buys your car Peter will have to re-register it and it will be on a 2010 plate? Really don't know the complexities of this process.

:confused:

Nich.

No, the car is registered back onto it's original plate? I think Peter is saying he doesn't tangibly/physically have the original plates. These can be bought quite cheaply I'd have thought - just make sure you choose a legal font 'an all that!

rls
29-07-2010, 03:43 PM
As for the private plate. I'm waiting to get the TVR on monday then unfortunately i have to wait for the V5 to turn up before i can transfer my private reg from the ZT to the TVR.

You may want to look into this further, I had the same issues when I bought mine, I had a personal plate on the van and wanted it on the 260.
I though that if you paid to put it on retention, you then had to pay again to transfer it.
But this is not the case, A rentention is slightly more expensive but includes the cost of transferring it to a new vehicle.

Hope this helps

Roger

Keith
29-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Yep the difference is £25 between retention and straight transfer

Peter just get it done another month and with winter is approaching
the car might be worth even less

Delay could cost you a a monkey or even a grand!

Nich
29-07-2010, 10:54 PM
No, the car is registered back onto it's original plate? I think Peter is saying he doesn't tangibly/physically have the original plates. These can be bought quite cheaply I'd have thought - just make sure you choose a legal font 'an all that!

Thanks Steve.

Nich.

StephenL
29-07-2010, 10:59 PM

You don't need to wait for the V5 to turn up. You simply use the new keeper slip with a filled out V62 ('application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C'). I did this last week to get a personal plate onto my car. I went to the local DVLA office and had the plate on the car (legally!) later that morning.

More details here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022576).

StephenL
29-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Would defo need the big rear number plate - I love those. I wonder if the car will go back onto it's original number and the original plates are in Petes garage ?. I should ask him really rather than ramble on here !

You can get the full size plates made up at Halfords. They do a special "Rover 75" plate. I considered this, but decided against it, since I wanted the blue "GB" plate (to avoid having to put a GB sticker on when I go abroad).

Oddcat
30-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Yep the difference is £25 between retention and straight transfer

Peter just get it done another month and with winter is approaching
the car might be worth even less

Delay could cost you a a monkey or even a grand!

Blimey - you expecting a 260 price drop soon Keith ? !!!