PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes

onzlo
26-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi can some one please give me the size dimensions of the rear disks on a 260zt-t. I want to get grooved and drilled brakes, I believe the size is 332mm but wanted the thickness and stud spacing if possible. Or the info on callipers like what car they are from.

pessling
26-07-2010, 05:09 PM
you simply wont find any as they have the handbrake in them. stick with the originals

onzlo
26-07-2010, 05:16 PM
agh ok then thank you will do so then. as it goes it failed the mot on hand brake due to brakes. Thanks Peter

pessling
26-07-2010, 05:24 PM
mine has failed in the past on the handbrake. best is to remove the disks, clean the shoes up and rough the inside of the disks up and have it adjusted properly

SteveW
26-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Another option is to have the discs skimmed. I had this done to get mine through the MOT (also failed on handbrake).

GeoffW
26-07-2010, 06:37 PM
At the weekend I refurbed my rear discs by grinding off the wear lip with a belt sander and getting rid of the outer rust, I then sprayed the bits that rust with heat proof spray, they now look as good as new, I measured my new set which were 28mm and my existing are 26mm ( I cannot find a wear limit anywhere on any 260 literature ? )
I also measured the overall diameter of the shoes in various place and compared this with the measurements 2 years ago, I have found the shoe adjustment has not changed much at all in 10000 miles but the cables have stretched, to sort it I just tightened up the nut at the front ( which has a spacer behind and the handbrake is fantastic, when you fit a spacer remember to tape it up otherwise when you let the handbrake off it can rattle, just shows the cables do stretch
in a short time, and my car is only used weekends/ holidays .

ColinE
26-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Comments from Scooter in the past

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showpost.php?p=35139&postcount=17

colintf
26-07-2010, 09:19 PM
just thinking about handbrake cables stretching.

If you park inside (eg your garage) would it be better to park in say 2nd gear without the handbrake on at all?

:cool:

pessling
26-07-2010, 09:55 PM
just thinking about handbrake cables stretching.

If you park inside (eg your garage) would it be better to park in say 2nd gear without the handbrake on at all?

yes, i park it with the hand brake on, and in gear more as the drive is at an angle so not good

spartacus
26-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Got to be honest, I rarely use my handbrake and, as a consequence, it's passed its last two MOTs no problem. :p

Tim
26-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Same here no handbrake or gear while in the garage

AndyG
26-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Another option is to have the discs skimmed. I had this done to get mine through the MOT (also failed on handbrake).

Skimming the disc will not affect the handbrake.

Give them a good clean and adjustment and it should past the MOT.

;)

AndyG
26-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Same Here, I use a bit of wood the rest the tire against.

My garage is on a very slight slope backwards so easy for me. ;)

Herman
26-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Got to be honest, I rarely use my handbrake and, as a consequence, it's passed its last two MOTs no problem. :p

That's the benefit of a 260, no handbrake turn required, just flip the throttle:D

StephenL
26-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Is there any reason not to use the gear as an alternative to the handbrake? Is that likely to break something else?

colintf
26-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I normally park mine in 2nd gear.

I recall Brian (Scooter) saying don't park it in 1st for some reason (which i dont recall) so changed from parking in 1st to 2nd.

Tim
26-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Shite memory :D start the car in gear and bop car becomes part of the garage. Like Andy I have a bit of wood to drive up too and a tennis ball on rope as I have about 40mm spare between garage wall and door.

Is there any reason not to use the gear as an alternative to the handbrake? Is that likely to break something else?

GeoffW
26-07-2010, 10:44 PM
My garage floor slopes by about 3 inches so I can let the car gently coast
over the carpet and gently comes to a rest up against the rear wall cushioned
by 100mm of large foam square :)

AndyG
26-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Leaving the box in gear when stationary is OK.

NB
In advanced training we used to say it was cheaper to replace the brakes than a new gearbox.

That said, if you use the gearbox correctly it can be used to slow you down if you get it right and do not stress it.
;)

AndyG
26-07-2010, 10:49 PM
My garage floor slopes by about 3 inches so I can let the car gently coast
over the carpet and gently comes to a rest up against the rear wall cushioned
by 100mm of large foam square :)

Try opening the boot. :fight

or do you drive in forwards :confused:

colintf
26-07-2010, 10:56 PM
, if you use the gearbox correctly it can be used to slow you down if you get it right and do not stress it.
;)

whats the right way to do this Andy?

many thanks

GeoffW
26-07-2010, 11:04 PM
The boot opens fine as the foam is just above the top of the rear bumper,
sometimes I reverse in with the boot open no problem :) until I had a courtesy car from AE Wilcox, it was a rover 45, tried to reverse in with boot open after the Mrs removed the shopping,, when there was a cracking noise as the spoiler was gently removed by the head of the door frame :ash:ash you guessed it, no boot just a tail gate !!! luckily it was the same colour as the 260, with a bit of glue
heat gun and majic dust it was restored to its former glory :)

SJR
27-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Leaving the box in gear when stationary is OK.

NB
In advanced training we used to say it was cheaper to replace the brakes than a new gearbox.

That said, if you use the gearbox correctly it can be used to slow you down if you get it right and do not stress it.
;)

If you are talking about engine braking. I always do it

I have to be careful in the Mustang, as the engine is so torquey and the LSD is tight. If you downshift too early (Too high revs) you lock up the rear wheels.:eek:

SJR

bigkeeko
29-07-2010, 09:59 AM
If you downshift too early (Too high revs) you lock up the rear wheels.:eek:

SJR

I know what you mean. I can do that in my 1.0ltr Corsa.

5th to 1st on the main road :D. Its the torque of the 3 cylinder beast!!! :YB

V8 Novi
29-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Shite memory :D start the car in gear and bop car becomes part of the garage.

Overnight I always park mine with the handbrake off and in gear. I put it into 1st or reverse depending on which direction will be clear when I next start the car.

Plus I'm brainwashed anyway into always checking any vehicle is in neutral before turning the key.

Note no reply to the reasoning behind using 2nd. Is there really any reason not to use 1st? Does anyone know?

colintf
29-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Overnight I always park mine with the handbrake off and in gear. I put it into 1st or reverse depending on which direction will be clear when I next start the car.

Plus I'm brainwashed anyway into always checking any vehicle is in neutral before turning the key.

Note no reply to the reasoning behind using 2nd. Is there really any reason not to use 1st? Does anyone know?

I thought the reason not to use 1st was something to do with a seal / gearlever llinkage. I am sure it was in one of Brian's posts (ages ago though)

like you, my natural instinct is to check a car is in neutral before turning the key!

scooter
30-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I do not remember saying (do not leave in 1st). I always leave my car in 1st. Might have had a senior moment!!!

V8 Novi
30-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Scooter. 1st it is then (or reverse!)

colintf
30-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I do not remember saying (do not leave in 1st). I always leave my car in 1st. Might have had a senior moment!!!

ah, maybe its me then Brian. Sorry :~

woolleysox
08-10-2010, 07:25 PM
My drive is on a slope towards the road, I always back the car on and leave it in reverse. I do the same when parked in the garage. My handbrake works but it could be better I have been advised I will require discs,pads and shoes for the rear at the next service. (ouch) sounds expensive,:(

AndyG
08-10-2010, 08:04 PM
My drive is on a slope towards the road, I always back the car on and leave it in reverse. I do the same when parked in the garage. My handbrake works but it could be better I have been advised I will require discs,pads and shoes for the rear at the next service. (ouch) sounds expensive,:(

Discs can be skimmed. or from the shop.

Pads, same as VX220 fronts.

Shoes.???????

bernard lpg
08-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Discs can be skimmed. or from the shop.

Pads, same as VX220 fronts.

Shoes.???????

Original shoes are marked Galfer 520.

Company is in California but the current catalogue does not list them.

greeners
08-10-2010, 09:29 PM
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/albums/573/medium/P5160114.JPG

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/albums/573/medium/P5160113.JPG

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/albums/573/medium/P5160112.JPG

This is what I found when I took my discs off...

Rear pads are Mintex MDB1890, which is Lotus Elise, Mitsubishi Lancer and the old Scooby...

A lot of cleaning and a bit of adjustment....and it was spot on...

greeners
08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I tried to track down Galfer and the shoes, but came up empty handed. I can't believe they were unique to the 260

greeners
08-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I've sent an email to Galfer in Spain to see if they can help with shoes....watch this space.

NOCTURNAL
09-10-2010, 04:54 AM
can anyone who bought the spare sets of rear shoes, take a measurement for me please, thickness including the steel at the thickest point will do... I verniered mine when I changed them so would be good to know how much wear, if any..... they had on them....

I was 100% happy with them, only for info's sake :)

Adjusted the handbrake to my new rear disks, and its the best its ever been...

Straight through another MOT :D but then the front and rear disks and pads, I fitted and front shock/springs replacement along with a f-r brake pipe at the last service it should do LOL...

arfmg
09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
FYI I'v just had my ZT-T complied in New Zealand. Rear pads stuffed and found that Subaru/Evo or 350Z pads are a match and cheaper than OE ones, hear anyway.

Cheers
Ross

Herman
09-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I've sent an email to Galfer in Spain to see if they can help with shoes....watch this space.

Hope you have more luck than I had. I mailed them, then called.
Had a lengthy chat with some nice spanish girl but came up empty handed anyway.

bernard lpg
09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
can anyone who bought the spare sets of rear shoes, take a measurement for me please, thickness including the steel at the thickest point will do... I verniered mine when I changed them so would be good to know how much wear, if any..... they had on them....

With my 'verynear' - 7.8 mm at thickest point and 7.3mm at the thinnest overall.

NOCTURNAL
09-10-2010, 12:48 PM
thanks bernard, I'll upload my pics to the comp later..cheers.

greeners
10-10-2010, 09:41 AM
If anyone has a shoe to hand, could they mention the lining size, length and width please.

I'll have a trawl through their catologue and see if I can find a similar size shoe.

bernard lpg
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
If anyone has a shoe to hand, could they mention the lining size, length and width please.

I'll have a trawl through their catologue and see if I can find a similar size shoe.

I'm on it but keep getting sidetracked. :(

greeners
10-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm on it but keep getting sidetracked. :(

I wish I was getting sidetracked....I'm stuck at work....:(:(

bernard lpg
10-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I wish I was getting sidetracked....I'm stuck at work....:(:(

I almost wish that I was at work, I keep getting sidetracked with cooking and housework. :mad:

It's a bit difficult knowing which measurements to take except for the width which is 30mm (29.9 for the ironmongery to be exact). So I've taken this pic on a grid background, unfortunately in imperial as it's what I used to use for PCB layouts.

If you want any detailed measurements perhaps you could indicate which and/or I could email a higher resolution piccie to you.

Correction, I cannot get this photo to load from photobucket, I've not had problems before, don't know what is going on, got to go, housekeeping duties again!

greeners
10-10-2010, 02:49 PM
I assume they measure the lining flat as a rectangle.....

But I'll see what come out at 30mm width...

Thanks

bernard lpg
10-10-2010, 03:21 PM
I assume they measure the lining flat as a rectangle.....

But I'll see what come out at 30mm width...

Thanks

The length measured along the circumference is 223mm of which 170mm is effective due to the chamfering.

Also a high-res photo in my gallery. I had quite forgotten this facility. :o

onzlo
25-10-2010, 12:35 PM
The length measured along the circumference is 223mm of which 170mm is effective due to the chamfering.

Also a high-res photo in my gallery. I had quite forgotten this facility. :o

hi thank you all for your replies, i got impatient and went for £800 option ouch !!!!!!

Pete

colintf
25-10-2010, 06:57 PM
doesn't les at SMC still have a set?