PDA

View Full Version : VE04YLL For sale

Will.S
29-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Saw this few days ago and I'm sure it was originally up for the usual 260 price of £7995, but now it's up for £8995? Is it me am I loosing it?
Seems high price considering there are two for 7995 with half the mileage?
I apologize in advance if the car belongs to anyone on here.

AndyG
29-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Saw this few days ago and I'm sure it was originally up for the usual 260 price of £7995, but now it's up for £8995? Is it me am I loosing it?

Prices should slowly go up due to "The rarity and a fantastic car being recognised for what it is"

Even a Mustang of the same age reaches £10,000 +

:D

StephenL
29-06-2010, 10:44 PM

You're not losing it - I noticed this. Presumably, if he gets someone who is interested, then he can offer to knock them a big chunk off the asking price.

Given there doesn't appear to be anything special about this car, it seems pricey compared to the '53 SE with 40K miles that was advertised last week for £5,995 (and sold promptly!). Unless X power exhausts are worth £3K these days :D

ColinE
29-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Unless X power exhausts are worth £3K these days :D

Getting thay way if the last set to sell on ebay is anything to go by

Bob Course
30-06-2010, 07:53 AM
This is my old car and he had it for sale at £9995 at the start of the week. In his ad hes says that it is good condition throughout but it almost certainly isn't. I sold it a year and a half ago for £5000 which was about the right price.
When I sold it these was two big holes in the front grill(which are still there), a scratch down one side of the car(the side not photographed), the sat nav did not work, a leak in the boot which when it rained resulted in all the electronics going haywire, the whole car had lots of additional wiring from its days as a fast response medical car which had been plumbed into the existing loom and would have been a major operation to remove, the heater didn't work, the passenger side front wing was slightly bent where I hit a deer(this looks to be the same on the photo's), the electric sunroof switch didn't work properly, there was a cheap and nasty aerial mounted right in the middle of the roof. the drivers seat was ripped on the side support, the interior roof lining and sunroof switch were loose where additional wiring had been fitted(ie the aerial) etc etc etc.
When I had the car I had the wheels refurbished, fuel filter clip fitted and a few other things done but he list was endless and I gave up.
Maybe he has fixed many of these faults but looking at the photos I would doubt it. Anyone going to look at this car should look out for the points mentioned or drop me a line.

black olive
30-06-2010, 08:40 AM
where I hit a dear

would that be an old granny crossing the road :~

thanks for th info Bob

Nich
30-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Can you link to the advert please?

Nich.

Bob Course
30-06-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1806878.htm

StephenL
30-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for posting Bob - I'm definitely going to give this one a miss!

Bob Course
30-06-2010, 02:50 PM
It will be a good car for someone willing to do the work but would have to be the right price.

Will.S
30-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that reply Bob, means this forum is worth it's weight in gold.
So in all honesty it's a 5995 at the most then.

Will.S
30-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Also I did email and ask for full details as there isn't much in the add, but so far no reply.

precious metal
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi

This car was on the forum back in 07/09 after Bob sold it when it was for sale on the IOW with very few details and seemed to be a dodgy seller.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=4525&page=2

as i was offered the car but turned it down due to its condition and previous history - not sure it will ever be 100 % again as it woukldnt be cost effective

regards JB

StephenL
18-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Back up on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-MG-ZT-SE-V8-260-BLACK-/160469421606) for £8,000

Nigel Lewis
18-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for that reply Bob, means this forum is worth it's weight in gold.
So in all honesty it's a 5995 at the most then.

£5,995 will get you an 04 one fully sorted in the best colour of X-Power Grey with LPG conversion and an history file as thick as your arm:~

StephenL
18-08-2010, 03:27 PM
£5,995 will get you an 04 one fully sorted in the best colour of X-Power Grey with LPG conversion and an history file as thick as your arm:~

A bit like this one for example :D
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1973144.htm

Not a great fan of X-Power Grey, but I must admit it looks good on your Mk1.

Nigel Lewis
18-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Thats the one:D

Will.S
19-08-2010, 01:00 PM

So much car for the money!

AlexZT260
23-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I was watching this car on Piston heads for a couple of weeks as it was a very tempting spec for my taste. I was not really in the market for a new car having just decided to hang on to my current “family” car for a couple more years having just had a rebuild on it (Mondeo ST200).

At the time it looked good for £5500 but I did not have that much money readily to hand. After at couple of weeks watching waiting for it to be sold the seller dropped it to £3900!

All of a sudden I was seriously tempted and no longer looking at it as a pipe dream. I was however wary why the seller would drop the price so much (alarm bells!).

Either way for £3900 I figured the new engine and box would be worth that even if the car was a total loss and I could use the running gear for my track car project if all was not well.

So after a promising phone call and a clear HPI check I persuaded a slightly (well very!) disapproving wife to come with me to Essex to look at the car at the seller’s house. The seller was very open about the cars “known” history and with 5 previous owners and sketchy history it was not a perfect life storey.

The seller openly said he picked the car up cheep in need of some help with the main issues including:
- Leak into the boot which had destroyed the Sat Nav, T.V. Tuner, C.D. and a faulty head unit.
He had gone to the effort of replacing every know piece of rubber trim, bung, clip etc. to fix the leak. Before then sourcing the BMW Head unit and replacing the whole of the supporting kit in the boot!
- Gearbox fault
He said he thought the car had not been treated the best in its former life but sourced a new gearbox from GTRacing who had bought up a stock of engine and box units following MG’s demise. Turned out for him they had already sold a number of boxes and would not split any more units. So I have a receipt for a compete engine, ancillaries and box for £3900! Which was then professionally fitted with supporting paperwork.

He also had new Blisten shocks fitted, breaks done and the fuel system virtually completely replaced.

There is mention on here that the car was a rapid response vehicle originally. Well I can now state that any gill holes etc. are a thing of the past. It does however explain a mystery button on the centre consol with “RunLock” written on it which does nothing! (Makes a good secret boost button for the kids…they’ll never know!)

All the interior and leather is good as well.

Having checked it over for all the know issues I was unable to find anything to fault other than a bit of lacquer coming off one of the wheels and a stone chip on the passenger side wing.

Whilst perhaps used and not loved in the past anything I could think of doing to bring it up to scratch seems to have been done/suffered but the previous owner.

So I ended up doing a deal to give me some change for a tank of petrol and a wheel refurb before parting with the readies.

I have now been enjoying a faultless drive which sounds great with the x-powers for two weeks. Just hope it stays that way!

It’s early days and whilst this car looks to have been a money pit for the previous owner his efforts have kept another one of these beasts on the road for some time still to come. I hope to follow on from where he has left off.

With 3K done since the new engine I’ll get it to 5K and I’ll perhaps have a diagnostics done to make sure it run in and set-up perfectly.

In some ways I wish I had found this thread before the purchase but then again it might had put me off what now see to be a great car brought back to it glory.

If any body else has any interesting history on VE04YLL please let me know.

Cheers
Alex

I’ll try and get some descent pics posted of her.

colintf
23-08-2012, 05:42 PM
I was watching this car on Piston heads for a couple of weeks as it was a very tempting spec for my taste. I was not really in the market for a new car having just decided to hang on to my current “family” car for a couple more years having just had a rebuild on it (Mondeo ST200).

At the time it looked good for £5500 but I did not have that much money readily to hand. After at couple of weeks watching waiting for it to be sold the seller dropped it to £3900!

All of a sudden I was seriously tempted and no longer looking at it as a pipe dream. I was however wary why the seller would drop the price so much (alarm bells!).

Either way for £3900 I figured the new engine and box would be worth that even if the car was a total loss and I could use the running gear for my track car project if all was not well.

So after a promising phone call and a clear HPI check I persuaded a slightly (well very!) disapproving wife to come with me to Essex to look at the car at the seller’s house. The seller was very open about the cars “known” history and with 5 previous owners and sketchy history it was not a perfect life storey.

The seller openly said he picked the car up cheep in need of some help with the main issues including:
- Leak into the boot which had destroyed the Sat Nav, T.V. Tuner, C.D. and a faulty head unit.
He had gone to the effort of replacing every know piece of rubber trim, bung, clip etc. to fix the leak. Before then sourcing the BMW Head unit and replacing the whole of the supporting kit in the boot!
- Gearbox fault
He said he thought the car had not been treated the best in its former life but sourced a new gearbox from GTRacing who had bought up a stock of engine and box units following MG’s demise. Turned out for him they had already sold a number of boxes and would not split any more units. So I have a receipt for a compete engine, ancillaries and box for £3900! Which was then professionally fitted with supporting paperwork.

He also had new Blisten shocks fitted, breaks done and the fuel system virtually completely replaced.

There is mention on here that the car was a rapid response vehicle originally. Well I can now state that any gill holes etc. are a thing of the past. It does however explain a mystery button on the centre consol with “RunLock” written on it which does nothing! (Makes a good secret boost button for the kids…they’ll never know!)

All the interior and leather is good as well.

Having checked it over for all the know issues I was unable to find anything to fault other than a bit of lacquer coming off one of the wheels and a stone chip on the passenger side wing.

Whilst perhaps used and not loved in the past anything I could think of doing to bring it up to scratch seems to have been done/suffered but the previous owner.

So I ended up doing a deal to give me some change for a tank of petrol and a wheel refurb before parting with the readies.

I have now been enjoying a faultless drive which sounds great with the x-powers for two weeks. Just hope it stays that way!

It’s early days and whilst this car looks to have been a money pit for the previous owner his efforts have kept another one of these beasts on the road for some time still to come. I hope to follow on from where he has left off.

With 3K done since the new engine I’ll get it to 5K and I’ll perhaps have a diagnostics done to make sure it run in and set-up perfectly.

In some ways I wish I had found this thread before the purchase but then again it might had put me off what now see to be a great car brought back to it glory.

If any body else has any interesting history on VE04YLL please let me know.

Cheers
Alex

I’ll try and get some descent pics posted of her.

well done on the purchase :thumb

Nich
23-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Welcome Alex, you need to return your questionnaire to access the full site now.

Nich.

tonybubble
23-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Well done, sounds like a very good result.

ianq
23-08-2012, 09:48 PM
What a contrast to my very easy purchase last year of number 125 from Richard Monk at MGOC. It goes to show just how different we all are in our approach to buying used rare cars.

Well done on being persistent where so many others might have given up.