PDA

View Full Version : Bit of LPG info ??

ceedy
23-06-2010, 03:05 PM
What sizes, Shapes and Where would/Does an LPG Tank go in a 260 ??

Easy one ???

Chris

black olive
23-06-2010, 04:20 PM
couple of threads on here, cylindrical tank in the boot is the only way to go on our cars.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=4177&highlight=autogas

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=6039

A few of the suppliers now offer the option to fit your own, in line with the lpga installers cose of practice, and will set it up and certify it for you.

I would do it tomorrow if the mileage I do justified it.

ksilver
23-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a 90 litre cylindrical tank in the boot (sits in behind the back seat), I think someone has a 100 litre tank.

bernard lpg
23-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a 90 litre cylindrical tank in the boot (sits in behind the back seat), I think someone has a 100 litre tank.

I would like to see 100 litre tank in place, it was enough of a squeeze to fit the 90. Another coat of paint and a hammer would have been needed. A bigger hammer, I mean. ;)

This has reminded me that I never did put up any photos of my installation. I must get around to it. Manana..... maybe. There is always something more pressing to do in life.

ColinE
24-06-2010, 12:07 AM
As the tank go into the boot, where there is precious little space as it is, the trade off is boot space vs LPG capacity and I'd not want to lose the boot space

ksilver
24-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I would like to see 100 litre tank in place, it was enough of a squeeze to fit the 90.

I think I saw it on "the dark side" when I was thinking about, will have a search for it tonight, I'm sure there were pictures.

V8 Novi
24-06-2010, 09:11 AM
[quote=ksilver;62297]I think I saw it on "the dark side" [quote]

I thought we were "the dark side"...:duck

black olive
24-06-2010, 10:21 AM
as opposed to the "grey" side :~

2V8s
24-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Mine has a 90l tank also, and it's pretty tight in there especially with the harmon kardon base speaker tubes etc.

Holds about 73l when filled

Zeb
24-06-2010, 09:33 PM
There IS an expensive alternative to a boot tank....you can get tanks made up in the shape of your current petrol tank....two sections...one for a couple of gallons or so of petrol and the rest for LPG....I don't know how much lpg you'd get in one nor the cost I am afraid...but, space-wise, the best option..

woolleysox
24-06-2010, 10:55 PM
The replacement tank sounds the best option for a ZTT as a 90lts tank behind the seat would defeat the reason for the ZTT. I cover 3 to 4 hundred miles per week so I may have to go for that option. Depends on cost,

ksilver
25-06-2010, 09:22 AM
There IS an expensive alternative to a boot tank....you can get tanks made up in the shape of your current petrol tank....two sections...one for a couple of gallons or so of petrol and the rest for LPG....I don't know how much lpg you'd get in one nor the cost I am afraid...but, space-wise, the best option..

Assuming such a tank could not have greater capacity than the original, by the time you have enough space for around 2 gallons of petrol, the LPG element can't be more than about 55 litres of which you can only fill to 80%, means the tank will only take 40-45 litres so a range of around 150-160 miles between refills?

If you do run out remember you only have a maximum of 2 gallons of petrol on board!

2V8s
25-06-2010, 03:29 PM
yes I dont think that range would be practical, as still you have to plan where to refill as not all stations have LPG.

Even with the 90 litre tanks, I only get a range of around 250 miles, and as it uses petrol for start up and warm up, you'd still use the small petrol tank full pretty quickly.

In the saloon, to be honest, the remaining boot space I find absolutely fine - bigger than you think! But I can see it wouldnt be so neat and defeats the purpose in the estate

Zeb
26-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I tend to agree re the possible range limitations:(....there probably isn't an easy solution for the ZT-T V8 then...:~

bernard lpg
26-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Must admit I have not heard about the petrol tank replacement types. They would be horrendously expensive anyway because of the proof testing involved. (It's not proof testing but I can't recall the correct wording, you get my meaning.) It's relatively easy on some 4x4s where the petrol tank can be replaced with, say, a 70 Litre LPG cylinder and a 35 Litre petrol reserve. But that's not the same thing.

Had I bought a Tourer it would still have gone on LPG as would any car that I have, even a diesel. (ugh!:vomit)

I would have probably looked to see what a couple of smaller cylinders looked like mounted longitudinally on either side, leaving the centre clear or raised the floor. It's always a compromise anyway.

ksilver
26-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Must admit I have not heard about the petrol tank replacement types.

Interesting that you should say that, I have heard people talking about these before, but haven't come across anyone who has one or seen one, if you have no knowledge of them are they perhaps an urban myth?

Zeb
26-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Interesting that you should say that, I have heard people talking about these before, but haven't come across anyone who has one or seen one, if you have no knowledge of them are they perhaps an urban myth?

There was something about them on Greenfuel....ages ago it was...I'll have a nosey around for it....

EDIT: Here you go, no urban myth..:D

http://www.autotanks.com/combo_units.html

Don't think it'll fit a 260 though...

bernard lpg
27-06-2010, 09:55 AM
There was something about them on Greenfuel....ages ago it was...I'll have a nosey around for it....

EDIT: Here you go, no urban myth..:D

http://www.autotanks.com/combo_units.html

Don't think it'll fit a 260 though...

Those are the exact things I have fitted to Jeeps in the past but not what I understood you to be describing in your original post. As I said, not the same thing as making a tank up in the shape of your current petrol tank.

Zeb
27-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Those are the exact things I have fitted to Jeeps in the past but not what I understood you to be describing in your original post. As I said, not the same thing as making a tank up in the shape of your current petrol tank.

Hmmmm....methinks me words failed me Bernard....:o It is the sort of thing I had in my head...I think?:confused: