PDA

View Full Version : Buying Advice

millamber
22-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone
I just wondered if I could get some advice from you guys, I would like to get a 260 and have seen one on ebay that is starting low due to it being a cat d write off. The car looks like it only really needs a bit of TLC a tidy up and those horrible wheels taken off. Just wondered if anyone on here knew the history of the car as the current owner does not.
I haven't been to see it yet as I wanted to ask for advice on here first just incase someone knew a tale of woe and the car had been in a bad accident or some such

Thanks in advance
Matt
P.s great site, loads of information to be found about these cars.

ColinE
22-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone
I just wondered if I could get some advice from you guys, I would like to get a 260 and have seen one on ebay that is starting low due to it being a cat d write off. The car looks like it only really needs a bit of TLC a tidy up and those horrible wheels taken off. Just wondered if anyone on here knew the history of the car as the current owner does not.
I haven't been to see it yet as I wanted to ask for advice on here first just incase someone knew a tale of woe and the car had been in a bad accident or some such

Thanks in advance
Matt
P.s great site, loads of information to be found about these cars.

Hi Matt

If you could post up the ebay link or item number we'll give you the low down on what we know

millamber
22-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Ah yes I can see how that might help .....oops its
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/53-REG-MG-ZT-SE-260-V8-BLUE-LIGHT-DAMAGED-REPAIRABLE-/180520083304?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a07d5df68

Reg is BG53BZE

ColinE
22-06-2010, 10:34 AM
No problem, I'll try and track down the VIN and see what I can dig up, I'm others will be along and let you have their thoughts

Contemporary
22-06-2010, 10:40 AM
A bit more background here:

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=586

hth

ColinE
22-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks Mike, knew I'd seen it somewhere recently

NOCTURNAL
22-06-2010, 12:41 PM
nice little profit its turning already...

Personally with a 260 I would find that the no service history is extremely suspect.... suggests a new book bought , but I guess if the original owner lost it to Insurance , he wouldn't bother sending the book...

Oh and factor in the cost of a heater hose from the club, as it's had a diy Job :) so heater hose has also blown at some point ... hopefully the owner was able to stop nice and quickly and no further damage than a wet engine bay .............

considering the price some decent ones have gone for I cant actually believe this one is going like it is....
No History
Cat D
Paintwork needs spraying
Wheels need changing
Hose needs replacing (hopefully no furtehr problems...)
Aircon 'could be gas' could be $$$$$$$$

Normally i say Buy buy buy, but this one dosent do it for me ...
No TC is a boost, but then it's an UGLY MK1 :~:~

Maybe if you could speak to the original owner and find out exactly what the Cat D was for, and when the hose went etc. they would probably have the service sheet too... I'd think it was unlikely that a 260 book wasn't filled for 55K;)

good luck finding one anyway

ColinE
22-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Seller has confirmed it is VIN #069

greeners
22-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Mine is a CAT C, (bit of a story that I won't go into)

Wrote to the first 2 keepers and got not only the service history, but the 2nd key and CD changer cartridge.

Cat D is not recorded on the V5C nor does it need a VIC test. It's been done on grounds of costs.

I've given mine a full service from top to bottom, and they really are tough old birds.

millamber
22-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your quick replies, Perhaps I should wait a bit save up a bit more money and get a nice tidy one, when it comes along. There is one on Auto trader at the moment a grey 06 model with 17,000 miles but there is no reg and only 1 picture the seller is asking £7950 which is a bit steep for me plus its a trader which I dont really like.

ColinE
22-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Keep and eye on the for sale section on here - you could post a wanted ad, let sellers and prospective sellers know what you are looking for

Tim
22-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep 069 22 October 2003

Seller has confirmed it is VIN #069

V8 Novi
22-06-2010, 09:43 PM
No TC is a boost, but then it's an UGLY MK1

MK II? oh yes, that's the one that Jeremy C reckoned had a "radiator grille which looks like a Victorian hearth"

A matter of taste, perhaps, but I know which one I prefer (just)...:duck

spartacus
22-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Here's one for you - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1813514.htm

... and another one here - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1808494.htm

StephenL
23-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Does anyone have any history on either of these two? The red one is VIN#219, which must make it one of the first Mk2s, yet it's a 55 plate???

Both look tidy examples!

millamber
23-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Oo I'm liking the black one may have to go and have a look

ksilver
23-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have any history on either of these two? The red one is VIN#219, which must make it one of the first Mk2s, yet it's a 55 plate???

Both look tidy examples!

You'll find many weren't registered according to VIN numbers, MGR went down early '05 and many hadn't been registered at that point, my own is #317 but not registered until late '06, whereas some later VIN numbers were registered much earlier, you'll see that quite often.

StephenL
23-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Oo I'm liking the black one may have to go and have a look

It does look good in the photos. And it seems a good price for a MG+1 owner car in SE spec, especially from a trade seller. I'm very tempted to take a look myself, although I really want a Mk2.

If this is genuine, I doubt it will hang around long. You better :run if you want to have a look!

There is one on Auto trader at the moment a grey 06 model with 17,000 miles but there is no reg and only 1 picture the seller is asking £7950 which is a bit steep for me plus its a trader which I dont really like.
The Reg is RX56HFS - it was advertised a couple of months back at £6,000. See this thread (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=6260).

black olive
23-06-2010, 01:14 PM
the red one belongs/ed to havoc1 on here

colintf
23-06-2010, 08:56 PM
good luck with your hunting!

:cool:

StephenL
24-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Both are already sold - it shows you have to be quick with the good ones. They were both sensibly priced and appeared to be in good condition (I can vouch for the red one - I went to see it - the only reason I didn't buy it was because my heart is set on an SE model).

bigkeeko
26-06-2010, 01:32 AM
plus its a trader which I dont really like.

I hate to say it but I think the same way. The trade? 90% someone elses fired off to auction and tarted up old $hite with a load of made up lies in the ad.

SJR
26-06-2010, 08:49 AM
You do have quite a lot of comeback with a trader though.

SJR

spartacus
26-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Bought mine from a trader too. I like the simple life, plus he gave me more for my trade in than it was worth. So, swings and roundabouts...