PDA

View Full Version : Knocking and groaning

alexcarson
15-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi, I've recently become a 260 owner and wanted to run a question past you guys. I'm getting the 'usual' clonking from the diff/shaft and im not too worried about that but theres another quite intrusive sound that i was more worried about. Im not sure if the sound is always there but it is more noticable at least when manovering slowly (parking etc..) and seems to happen while moving straight as well as turning. It sounds like a periodic knocking/grinding, but in a way sounds like the moaning/groaning sound you would expect from a big old ship lol. I cant really tell if its coming from the front or back which is annoying as that would narrow it down. Is this common and/or am i just being a super critical new owner?

Thanks.

black olive
15-06-2010, 02:10 PM
dont know but where are you ? someone local may be able to listen, oh and welcome, what have you got ?

alexcarson
15-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm in Cheam, Surrey. I got a 2004 MG ZT 260 SE, not sure of the build number. I believe the car was owned a few months back by a guy on this forum (stevedj).

colintf
15-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Alex and welcome.

the build number will be the last 3 digits of the VIN number visible in the bottom right of the windscreen as you face and look at the front of the car.

ref teh noises, I'm not sure, but someone will no doubt be able to help you

:cool:

2V8s
15-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm in Worcester Park just down the road. Feel free to call by one evening if you like - you have exact same model/spec/year as me (assuming it's a mk1?).

I will be able to tell if thats a noise mine has ever made or not, but cant compare to mine directly at the mo as mine ist useable pending clutch hydraulics being sorted out, though it is outside my house.

colintf
15-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Alex and welcome.

the build number will be the last 3 digits of the VIN number visible in the bottom right of the windscreen as you face and look at the front of the car.

ref teh noises, I'm not sure, but someone will no doubt be able to help you

I think it might be #335 ?

spartacus
15-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Lots of us in Surrey and the surrounding area - I'm near Letherhead...

alexcarson
15-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Ah ok i will check the build number later.

I drive through Worcester park everyday on the way to work :) Glad to here theres some help so close and others in Surrey. I may get in contact with you soon then to have a listen.

By the way mine is a mk2 i believe (has the apex alloys and facelift). Anyone else have any groaning issues (with thier car that is).

2V8s
15-06-2010, 05:49 PM
well I may well pass you then as I drive through Cheam everyday! Except I skirt around it these days as the traffic seems to have gone crazy. On my way to Croydon.

Yes, let me know if you want to meet up.

Apart from the organized meets, I am yet to ever see another v8 on the roads. Maybe the chances just went up in the local area!

Blue Flash
15-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi, I've recently become a 260 owner and wanted to run a question past you guys. I'm getting the 'usual' clonking from the diff/shaft and im not too worried about that but theres another quite intrusive sound that i was more worried about. Im not sure if the sound is always there but it is more noticable at least when manovering slowly (parking etc..) and seems to happen while moving straight as well as turning. It sounds like a periodic knocking/grinding, but in a way sounds like the moaning/groaning sound you would expect from a big old ship lol. I cant really tell if its coming from the front or back which is annoying as that would narrow it down. Is this common and/or am i just being a super critical new owner?

Thanks.

Alex get a mechanic to look at the ball joints on the front wishbones for starters.Also how olds the car and what sort of mileage has it on the clock?......and hello.

Regards Paul

alexcarson
15-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Its a 2004 so 6 years old ish and has 45K on the clock.

Tim
15-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Yep, welcome along. I go through Cheam to the mother in Law so could also offer my ear. We've also bods in Epsom, New Haw, Great Bookham, Dorking and Guildford.

Alex you are still blue ;)

alexcarson
15-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Had a good listen to it on my way home and while parking and sounds very much like the creeking you get from brakes when you let off very slightly and the car starts to roll appart from i hear it when im not on the brake. The car feels fine so might just be being super critical of any sounds i hear. I will see how it goes and keep my eye on it, thanks for your help guys.

Tim - When do a stop being blue then?

ColinE
15-06-2010, 11:42 PM
When you submit your questionnaire to Tim - then a whole new world opens up

And a hole suddenly appears in your wallet :D;):D.............mind you I am the shopkeeper so keen to get my hands on your money

Malcolmr
16-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Sounds a bit like the rear springs, but at 335 that's unlikely. Welcome to the collective from the Downunder mob, Alex.

ColinE
16-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Happy to come up sometime this week so we can compare and contrast the 2 cars, however without the car after Saturday

If you're really concerned and want it looked at then Peter Wayte is close (ish) to you

http://car-serve.co.uk/default.aspx

Cheers

Colin