PDA

View Full Version : Full Service - What a Day....!!!!!!

greeners
02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Having amassed all the parts to do a full service, today seemed a good day to start.

Started out with plugs....not as bad as I thought. My car is 2004 with 28k miles, but I was shocked by the state of the plugs that came out. In comparison to the new ones, they were definitely worn.

Then on to the air filter, I followed RAVE, and whilst long winded, and again I would suspect it was the original filter as it was as black as anything I've put a K&N in it's place.

Then the pollen filter. Again black on both sides (and it wasn't a charcoal one either). The bottom of the plenum was full of brake fluid, which was the last owner when he changed the front pads and discs......:mad::mad:

Then the oil change. The drain bolt has clearly been in longer then 5000 miles, and it took a cold chisel to remove it. Glad I had a spare. the oil that came out, again was older then 5000 miles, and I'd guess it's done closer to 15,000. Still an OEM filter and a drop of new oil did the trick.

Whilst checking the underside, I discovered that the wheel alignment is out and the shoulder on the O/S front tyre is clearly out and I've put a spare on as it was clearly boarder line. So tomorrows task will be to get that sorted, before a new set of tyres go on.

whilst changing the tyre I found that the brake wear sensor had been cut off and tied back. I assume by the same person that filled the plenum with brake fluid.

So all that's left is gearbox and diff oils which I'll do next week when I can get access to a 2 post lift

Tried setting the service indicator, but no joy with the paper clip method.

All in all a rewarding day, and it goes like it should at long last....

StephenL
02-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Personally, I (a) wouldn't even attempt to do a service myself; (b) would break more than I fixed if I was foolish enough to try.

You've got my respect. :applause

greeners
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Personally, I (a) wouldn't even attempt to do a service myself; (b) would break more than I fixed if I was foolish enough to try.

You've got my respect. :applause

it's not that hard, it's time consuming and you've got to be methodical.

I take my hats off to the guys that do it day in and day out

ColinE
02-06-2010, 11:58 PM
It's rewarding when you complete it - trouble is I never seem to finish!

spartacus
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I seeem to recall that my pad wear sensor is taped back, as the replacement (Mintex) pads didn't give me the option of reattaching it. Anyway, it fell apart during removal of the previous pads...

Martin Warner
03-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Tried setting the service indicator, but no joy with the paper clip method.

I have a tool to reset the service indicator. I can send it over to you if you need it and PM me your address.

Martin

greeners
03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a tool to reset the service indicator. I can send it over to you if you need it and PM me your address.

Martin

Thank you for the offer, after a lot of poking paper clips, I achieved success.........counting down to the next oil change....

colintf
03-06-2010, 06:05 PM
a good day of progress then :thumb

GeoffW
04-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Nothing like a bit of self satisfaction when things go right :)