PDA

View Full Version : 260 ownership on a tight budget?

StephenL
20-05-2010, 09:05 PM
High mileage (108,000) Mk1 SE (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201020359364743) for £3,995

spartacus
20-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Bah! - barely run in. Offer him £3,500 and get it bought :D

ColinE
20-05-2010, 09:18 PM
You can run a 260 on a very tight budget - I do, really depends on your annual mileage, the challenge comes when parts appear on ebay, or members on here develops special replacement parts. or the oh so desirable modification become too tempting etc etc etc

Having said all that - get it bought

SteveChilds
21-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Cheap to buy, not cheap to run.. And a potential nightmare if things go wrong!

You don't want to try and stretch yourself to run a 260, imho.

That said, I can't see that hanging around for long. Mileage is, imo not a problem on ZTs as a whole, let alone the V8. Just need to watch out for clutch issues really, at that mileage is going to need to be changed relatively soon if its still on the original.

ksilver
21-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Just need to watch out for clutch issues really, at that mileage is going to need to be changed relatively soon if its still on the original.

Do we have a clutch issue? I have heard of some repairs being done on here but wasn't aware there was an "issue"!

Stu C
21-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Run a V8 on a budget?

Well, depends what budget you have obviously, but simple servicing stuff is like any other car, and the only issues that are unique to the 260 is things like the heater hose that blows, which is only about £40 and takes 20 mins to change...

Clutch is like any other car. Can/will/might not go anytime. same as anthing else mechanical.

Only thing i would say is a big bill, is the 5 year major service is it? All the fluids etc... and get the diff oil changed. But apart from that, just petrol, insurance and Tax.

And to be honest Steve, ANY vehicle is a potential nightmare for things to go wrong. If everyone was so worried about that, we'd all be walking or riding horses like the "olden days" :eek::thumb

Imagine that at maccy d's!..."Yeah check out my 'stang man!...Only one owner and does 1 bail of hay to 300 miles" :funny

woolleysox
21-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Blimey Stu you were up early !!!! Ref horses they aint cheap to buy feed run or get fixed if they break down and a pig to drive in the wet:o:o

colintf
21-05-2010, 05:53 PM
go for it :thumb

gaz the gas
21-05-2010, 08:36 PM
stu,my wife owns 3 horses......THE CAR IS CHEAPER TO RUN,lol

spartacus
21-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I've been a horse owner too - they need new treads every 6 weeks, cost more than a human to keep accommodated and shit for England. Give me a 260 anytime... mind you, cleaning the tack seems to take longer with the car :D

dobbo
21-05-2010, 09:38 PM
260 on a budget?

17m.p.g

You decide.

:)

SH4RKY
21-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Buy a bicycle. Dont read the forum - Things will never go wrong if you dont know about them!

ColinE
21-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Buy a bicycle. Dont read the forum - Things will never go wrong if you dont know about them!

How is your Check Engine light??

gaz the gas
21-05-2010, 10:49 PM
oil change due....20,000 miles...lol

Zeb
21-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Damn I run a V6 and a V8 on thin air these days...:o...still wouldn't give either up though...

ColinE
21-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Damn I run a V6 and a V8 on thin air these days...:o...still wouldn't give either up though...

Could not agree more - it's simple food or fuel - hey I need to loose weight anyway FUEL FUEL FUEL :D:D:D:D

ColinE
21-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Do we have a clutch issue? I have heard of some repairs being done on here but wasn't aware there was an "issue"!

No issue - it's just a big (engine out) job to change it, and you ought to change slave cylinder as well so not a cheap exercise

rolled1
24-05-2010, 04:05 PM
dont know what to make of this car? ad says it's black,but on 3rd pic from rear its clearly blue,looks like royal blue same as my zt,however running a check on the plate brings it back as colour-grey, so which is it-
black,blue or grey?? heard of duotone never tripletone!

SteveChilds
24-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Sorry, I meant just wear & tear really, if it was on its original clutch it could need replacing soon, there aren't any issues as such.

maxtherotti
24-05-2010, 04:55 PM
dont know what to make of this car? ad says it's black,but on 3rd pic from rear its clearly blue,looks like royal blue same as my zt,however running a check on the plate brings it back as colour-grey, so which is it-
black,blue or grey?? heard of duotone never tripletone!

have seen charcoal look blue in some photos with flash before
so i would guess its charcoal grey

rob
(if i hadnt just got my ztt i would be having a look at this but swmbo will kill me if i change it before next year:fight)

colintf
24-05-2010, 06:36 PM
"anthracite" can look like that at times

:cool:

spartacus
24-05-2010, 06:51 PM
My 190 was anthracite and said grey on the V5 - most odd as the only colour it never lookd was grey...:confused:

Tim
24-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I had the same car and it did during the winter with all the crap on the roads.

My 190 was anthracite and said grey on the V5 - most odd as the only colour it never lookd was grey...:confused:

maxtherotti
24-05-2010, 08:32 PM
"anthracite" can look like that at times

thats what i meant but couldnt spell it lololol

Bainzi
25-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Filled up today and my MPG was 27. :)

black olive
26-05-2010, 12:28 PM
looks like anthracite, which has a lot of blue in it.
bought a can to paint some bits on my rover coupe, and got a panic on when I sprayed the first few coats, as it came out dark blue

colintf
26-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I think its a great colour since seeing its blueness :thumb

Herman
26-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Seems to be moving away from the original question, unless colour has to do with running costs:D

Black is cheap enough in my opinion:~

ColinE
26-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Back on topic - it is possible to run them on a tight budget though depends on other commitments as to what mods/development can be done

greeners
26-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, I hoping next week, to do a full top to bottom service, and that's all oils and fluids....

Mine is 6 years old so is probably overdue on lots as it was standing for at least a year.

I'll post up the costs when I've finished.

SH4RKY
26-05-2010, 10:12 PM
How is your Check Engine light??

What check engine light? It goes away if you ignore it!!! hahaha

((but seriously... it did go off. Nick will have a look early next month :))

ColinE
26-05-2010, 10:15 PM
If it went off on it's own then probably was that it got too hot

When are you up at Nicks?

StephenL
26-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Back on topic - it is possible to run them on a tight budget though depends on other commitments as to what mods/development can be done

To be honest, I think it's a bit of a false economy - well at least if you're someone like me who isn't very handy with a spanner and needs to pay someone else to do the jobs. I'd rather pay more up front for a lower mileage car and (on average, not including sod's law) spend less on keeping it running.

But I guess if you're a bit of a DIY car mechanic, this could be a bargain entry into V8 ownership!

ColinE
26-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Basic spannerwork I do myself, but when the jobs are bigger I do get someone to do it - not because I can't but because being self employed I need to take time off to do the work

SH4RKY
26-05-2010, 10:32 PM
If it went off on it's own then probably was that it got too hot

When are you up at Nicks?

Think its in 9th and 10th. Aircon, service, MOT, niggles.

ColinE
26-05-2010, 10:36 PM
'Bout a week before me

Herman
26-05-2010, 11:00 PM
To be honest, I think it's a bit of a false economy - well at least if you're someone like me who isn't very handy with a spanner and needs to pay someone else to do the jobs. I'd rather pay more up front for a lower mileage car and (on average, not including sod's law) spend less on keeping it running.

But I guess if you're a bit of a DIY car mechanic, this could be a bargain entry into V8 ownership!

Major costs is not the maintenance. 5k oil change, 15k bigger service
Fuel and wear parts are the worst. < 20mpg average and brake pads if you drive it enthusiastic

Pay more for a low mileage car doesn't change those things.
As with all cars things can and will go wrong. I rather buy a higher mileage used car ( say 15k/year) than someones weekend runner with less than 5k/year.

scooter
26-05-2010, 11:35 PM
The more the car is run the less trouble they are unless they are not looked after. Mileage does not hurt them 100k miles is no bother just getting run in. Sitting around causes all sorts of bother with the suspension, exhausts and brakes. My own car has done over 80k miles still original clutch, no oil leaks, original dampers. original exhaust. The only replacements have been both lower front arms and the usual tyres/ brakes.

GeoffW
27-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Speaking to other owners of quickish/luxury motors our cars are cheap to run in comparison (excluding the obvious fuel cost) to maintain and run, with the
supercharged version there is only the extra oil needed every 12K and that's less than a cup full , I do the interim oil changes and plugs my self plus most other jobs when needed, its due a hand brake adjustment which is easy if you know the procedure, discs and pads are easy to replace as well, the rear end is a bit special but rarely gives trouble, rear discs are pricey but you can get them from the club at half price. Just renewed on a 5K classic policy with peter best £ 240.00 :)

colintf
27-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I guess the message is that they are not as expensive to run as one may think.

This is no doubt due to the help and support of this forum and the people on it :thumb

ksilver
27-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I guess the message is that they are not as expensive to run as one may think.

This is no doubt due to the help and support of this forum and the people on it :thumb

I would agree on that, the biggest problems I've come across are garages that look at the car and shrug their shoulders or try and do things the way they would have done on a 190 etc.

A quick search through here (or a question) usually produces a fairly straight forward fix. :applause:applause:applause

colintf
27-05-2010, 11:08 AM
we are lucky with the high level of support from Brian at Dreadnought, as well as having some other good people about like Nick at Austin Garages, and AE Wilcox etc etc.

I am very lucky to have AE Wilcox just up the road, and Nick is only a couple of hours up the road. Just wish Dreadnought was closer to Bristol. (Maybe I need to take a holiday to Scotland !!!!)

2V8s
27-05-2010, 01:36 PM
i have 100k on mine, bought it with 85k on the clock.

I'd agree with the consensus - apart from the "biggie" of the clutch change, I cant see that higher mileage means more costs. It doesnt cost me much to run mine - especially since I pay 65p a litre for the fuel :D.

You never know - look through all the paper work and if you can find evidence of past clutch change then you're laughing. Otherwise bank on spending £1000-£1500 for this with other essential stuff it makes sense to do at the same time. Because clutch change is an engine out job and to be honest, my car has sadly never been the same since :(

Max260
27-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Yup, I'll second that appart from the niggley bits like fuel filter cap, handbrake etc the only really big expense is the clutch change.

In my case the clutch started slipping due to oil seepage from the gear box due to the plastic bush wearing out. However, I drove around with the slippage for 6 months quite happily (just not very good at pulling hard in 4th and 5th). So dont worry when it starts.

It is a major job though and when it comes and it will come to all of us eventlually, change the whole clutch assy (use LUK replacement kits from the USA theyre good and a good price). Allow 4 weeks for delivery. Replace the Slave Cylinder, refurbish the master cylinder (Austins will do this) or replace and replace the pipe from the master cylinder.

When the gear box is off. get a partial strip and rebuild done to check it out. it is worth it as it makes a big difference to the gear changes and smooth running of the car.

All my clunking has gone away after everything was put back, gear changes are much smoother and the clutch pedal is much lighter.

Whole lot will set you back at least £1200. But you should get plenty of warning and will have time to save up.

Mine is now on 87K and climbing rapidly. As the whole front of the car has been basically reassembled it feels like a new car and still does after a couple of months driving.
:):):):):)

ColinE
27-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Good post Max - for reference what's your annual mileage?

Max260
02-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Good post Max - for reference what's your annual mileage?

I reckon I must do around 25K a year now. Not too long long before I reach the 100K mark. Car is really going so well. Now I've said that, somethings bound to happen. Think my next major buy will be the rear discs. But theyre still ok at the moment and a skim will come first before a buy. Otherwise I will be getting a new paint job either later this year on early next as I have so many stone chips now.

colintf
03-06-2010, 05:18 PM
thats quite a mileage in one of our cars Max!