PDA

View Full Version : help please heat shield and bonnet

bob orbison
16-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Red 04 ZT-T 260 only 57 made is that correct?
After 6 years with only the petrol pump and buying new rear tyres to worry about I have been hit with two problems at once
going down the motorway in very heavy rain I lost a flexible cover it was silver in colour I cant see anything missing but perhaps it was a heat reflector between the exhaust and the gearbox?

Am i right how can I confirm it where can I get a new one from and how easy to fit?
next I can't open the bonnet ! hard as I pull cable I can't open it
perhaps some one could email me with what to do

only good thing to come from this was finding this site had a great night reading past postings

all the best to you all
Bob

ColinE
16-04-2010, 01:16 PM
This is probably the shield between the gearbox and the bodyshell - take a look under the car 'above the gearbox' and you may see some remants hanging down, if so general consesus is remove what you can get out and ignore the rest. It was more for noise than heat and most owners notice no difference without it.

On the bonnet release I think Tim or another mod can send you details, send him a Private Message (PM) - if you follow the link below you'll see a post from Tim, if you left click on his username you'll get the option to send him a PM

Worth becoming a full member to get the full benefit of the amazing amount of knowledge on here

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=1141

salamander
16-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi Bob,

Become a full member and a host of excellent information will open up for you.

The bonnet release is a common problem to do with a connector box located on the engine bay inner off side wing. Looks also like your heat shield matting has come adrift and let go. Its a coarse material with a silver covering. Mine went ages ago and has not been a problem.

Fill in a membership form and send it to Tim. You have a lot more reading to do.

ColinE
16-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Cor - gone green already - good man!!!

Many sleepless nights now reading all that's on here :D

Tim
16-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Bob is now Green :D

SH4RKY
16-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Agree with heatshield. Probably more of a fire hazard, so good riddance!

Bonnet is an easy fix... with the bonnet open. Not sure how to open a closed one though..?

Tim
16-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Just sent the 'how to' for the bonnet :D

Have a look through the forum posts Bob about how many were built. Tons of stuff on the subject. Would be easy to tell you here but then you would not learn ;)

Welcome along, only took you five years :~:D

bob orbison
16-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the help

as you say only took me 5 years

best regards to all

Bob

Herman
16-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the help

as you say only took me 5 years

best regards to all

Bob

Some take a life time and still don't get it:D

Guess you've beaten them

PS:Ooohh ......Welcome

colintf
16-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi Bob and welcome!

:cool:

pessling
16-04-2010, 06:44 PM
hello and welcome, my bonnets failed on me twice now even having done the mod, but can get it open in a couple of minutes once you've done it, although you tend to loose a bit of skin on your hands.

kcv
16-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Hello Bob, welcome, its now just a case of reading the past posts and wondering why your car never had all the problems discussed then becoming paranoid that every noise, hiccup or falter in the motor is a pre-curser for a major problem. I'm probably like you in that I haven't gone looking for faults yet and they haven't come to find me.
Bugger, did I really say that. Oh well.

ColinE
16-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Paranoid, us paranoid, who you calling paranoid...........................who said that..............

V8 Novi
17-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...

black olive
20-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Welcome Bob.

when you get your bonnet sorted its worth stripping and relubricating the release mechanisms under the slam panel, they dry out with age and go stiff and thats what causes the cables to pop off.

Bumper off is only a ten minute job once you know where all the fasteners are

re-tread
21-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Have a look at this for the bonnet release.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=5665