PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose... 75 V8 LPG or ZT 260?

b.gruen
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Hello,

what car would you choose if you could choose between a Rover 75 V8 (#864, black) or a MG ZT 260 (#743, x-power grey). Both cars are in a good condition.
The Rover 75 V8 is equipped with LPG (since first mile/kilometre).

What are your opinions on the advantages and disadvantages when comparing both cars against each other?

Thank you!

peterv8
03-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Hello,

what car would you choose if you could choose between a Rover 75 V8 (#864, black) or a MG ZT 260 (#734, x-power grey). Both cars are in a good condition.
The Rover 75 V8 is equipped with LPG (since first mile/kilometre).

What are your opinions on the advantages and disadvantages when comparing both cars against each other?

Thank you!

I would take them both out for a ride and then decide which one I like the best!
Not much help but good luck anyway.:)

b.gruen
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Hello Peter,

thank you for your very fast reply.
I've already drove both cars. And both cars are completely different from their driving experience. The Rover is smooth and softly - a real cruiser. The MG on the other hand is a hard and sportive, and perhaps somehow a bit more lively.
I've never seen two cars that look that similiar to be such different.

I have to say that I already know MG/Rover cars very well, and also the Rover 75 as Diesel is known to me.

Unfortunately I can't buy both cars therefore I would like to have some opinions that hopefully help me to decide which one is the better car.

Maybe I should add that I am 30 years old and I wouldn't drive anyone of these cars daily - more likeley on sunny weekends or business trips.

Regars,

stevemiller
03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Due to your mileage quoted get the V8 in either without LPG. Having owned 75 2.5 auto then ZT CDTi and now owner of a ZTV8 I know what you are saying with regards to both models, chalk and cheese. But trust me if you want a V8 for the noise get the ZT.

Steve.

Wibbler77
03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Personally I'd go for the MG...I like my Rover, but at 32, and having never had a true sporty car I would like to own a 260 now to make up for it.

I would point out that I own a 75 Diesel, love the car but I'm selling to buy a 260.

b.gruen
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Hello Steve, hello Tom,

thank you for your advices.
The sound is not the only thing that is important for me. I think most important for me is the exclusive character of both cars. It is a car not many people know and also a car that shines in some way - at least here in Germany.
Btw. before I bought my first non rover car since I've got my driving license I drove a Rover 220 Turbo Coupe for about 4 years. And I really miss that car by now.
If I need a car for daily trips and my "non rover cars" is sold in hopefully 1 year I think I would by me a MG ZT CDTI as first car as it runs great.

Greets,

Bernhard

peterv8
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Hello Peter,

thank you for your very fast reply.
I've already drove both cars. And both cars are completely different from their driving experience. The Rover is smooth and softly - a real cruiser. The MG on the other hand is a hard and sportive, and perhaps somehow a bit more lively.
I've never seen two cars that look that similiar to be such different.

I have to say that I already know MG/Rover cars very well, and also the Rover 75 as Diesel is known to me.

Unfortunately I can't buy both cars therefore I would like to have some opinions that hopefully help me to decide which one is the better car.

Maybe I should add that I am 30 years old and I wouldn't drive anyone of these cars daily - more likeley on sunny weekends or business trips.

Regars,

For everyday use I think the Rover is the better car but as you say for weekends and business trips I'd buy the MG cause it's more fun to drive with good handling and the sound is superb. You don't take a Rover to the track but you want and probably will with the MG.:) Nurburg Ring is not far.......:D

cheers!

b.gruen
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
For everyday use I think the Rover is the better car but as you say for weekends and business trips I'd buy the MG cause it's more fun to drive with good handling and the sound is superb. You don't take a Rover to the track but you want and probably will with the MG.:) Nurburg Ring is not far.......:D
cheers!

You are right the Nürburg Ring is not that far away. SO maybe... at some time... ;-)

It seems most people here are voting for the MG and that is also my favourite at the moment. But one thing is clearly better with the Rover - its service manual is completely filled up with service entries and the guarantee with that car is much better. So it seems to have been serviced completely right. The MG on the other hand only has a few service entries. But it still seems that at least the oil changes were made in the correct intervals.

bernard lpg
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I was originally looking for the Rover version of the V8, because I really prefer autos, but couldn't find one at a price that I was prepared to pay at the time. I really, really wanted a V8 and as I felt time was slipping by, before falling from my perch, decided to go for the ZT .

Either way it was going on LPG because all my cars have run on this for many years now.

I don't regret the decision one bit. It gives a good contrast from driving our other car which is a 75 V6 2.5 Auto Conny SE also on LPG, of course!

I do get a bit confused with what to do with the left foot sometimes though as there isn't much room for it in the ZT.

I could be tempted to change the Rover for the bigger engined one but that would be greedy.

Klaus
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Handshifted MG rulez: Have fun! :D
Cheers, Klaus

b.gruen
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello Bernard, hello Klaus,

thank you for your answers!

As I have rather small feet I don't think that I would have any problem to find a place for my left foot. So that is something I really don't have to worry about - luckily ;-)

Bernard, what mileage did your ZT 260 have when you've converted it to LPG? I worry about that it could be bad for the engine if it done too late.

Klaus, chances are that are you from Germany too... And it seems you also drive an MG ZT 260. So it gives me wonder if you probably bought that MG ZT 260 from Bartzick in Witten. Did you?

Greets

Bernhard

bernard lpg
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Hello Bernard, hello Klaus,

thank you for your answers!

As I have rather small feet I don't think that I would have any problem to find a place for my left foot. So that is something I really don't have to worry about - luckily ;-)

Bernard, what mileage did your ZT 260 have when you've converted it to LPG? I worry about that it could be bad for the engine if it done too late.

Klaus, chances are that are you from Germany too... And it seems you also drive an MG ZT 260. So it gives me wonder if you probably bought that MG ZT 260 from Bartzick in Witten. Did you?

Greets

Bernhard

My size 45 feet get in the way all the time!

52,0000 miles at conversion, just finished its running-in period really.

b.gruen
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
My size 45 feet get in the way all the time!

52,0000 miles at conversion, just finished its running-in period really.
The MG just has about 33.000 km now so a LPG conversation could be made according to your info. The Rover has a Prins LPG. Which LPG type would you recommend? I'm not entirely sure I would convert to LPG but in case I like to do this in the future it is good to have some advices already.

bernard lpg
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
The MG just has about 33.000 km now so a LPG conversation could be made according to your info. The Rover has a Prins LPG. Which LPG type would you recommend? I'm not entirely sure I would convert to LPG but in case I like to do this in the future it is good to have some advices already.

There is no specific system that has been specially developed for this engine or any other as a matter of interest. Any other claim is just sales talk.

Any well known sequential West European System that is supported by someone near to you should be OK. The rest have fallen by the wayside by now.

Or if you are a keen home mechanic and like to look after your own car, make sure that you choose a system that you can get the software for it to be able to fine tune it if necessary. It's also useful and interesting for looking at what's going on anyway.

black olive
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I drove a Rover 220 Turbo Coupe for about 4 years. And I really miss that car by now

I know how you feel- I had a VVC coupe, one of the last ones, in black with white leather- the chassis was a bit twisy but otherwise a superb timeless classic . I admit to shedding a tear when I sold it and the new owner drove away.

at one time I would have said the ZT,but the 75 sounds like a good one

Zeb
04-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I would choose the V8 75....then I'd have one of each..:D...Might have to sell the LPG 190 then though...:o

b.gruen
04-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Good morning
Thank you for your tips.
I would really buy both of them if I had some more spare money. At the moment I tend to the MG. But I still have time for some more thoughts until Tuesday.

Greets
Bernhard

Zeb
04-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Good morning
Thank you for your tips.
I would really buy both of them if I had some more spare money. At the moment I tend to the MG. But I still have time for some more thoughts until Tuesday.

Greets
Bernhard

Bernhard, the v8 75 is the rarer of the two cars and no doubt the more comfortable on regular long journeys....but then the ZT is more fun....depends what you want really...

b.gruen
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Hello and happy eastern to everyone
You are right zeb the 75 is the more comfortable one. But I think that I will buy a cdti some time in the next year.

Bernhard

colintf
04-04-2010, 03:07 PM
at the end of the day, it has to be whichever one is best for you!

:cool:

b.gruen
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
To be true, I wouldn't ask which car you would choose if I were 100% sure which car I like the most.
Here in Germany most people would say that the Rover looks like a car for grandpa's on the other side the MG is considered as a sportive car.

btw. is there someone who can say me more about both cars by looking at the VIN?

Bernhard

Klaus
06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Bernhard, be aware, you´ll be facing problems when booking a crossing by eurotunnel, they do not accept lpg fitted cars. No idea, what´s about ferry lines. No, my 260 is a british RHD, no problems on the street but cannot enter a McDrive without having a co-pilot on the left seat :D:D:D

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?t=5911

Klaus

b.gruen
06-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Hello Klaus,

thank you for your point about the eurotunnel. That is something I didn't know. The McDrive-Problem is surely a big problem for some people driving a RHD car. :D
Do you have to rearrange the headlights to drive on german streets or is this not needed anymore?

Bernhard

SteveTD
06-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Having owned both cars I have to say I preferred the Rover 75 V8 as the hands down winner - it felt quicker, more luxurious, better front grille design, better alloys (18 inch vortex) more comfortable and lower build number - so more 'rare'!

Only down side is the badge - I think the MG badge carries more appeal.

b.gruen
06-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I decided to buy the MG. Many thanks to all of you for your advices, opinions and useful hints.

I hope I can get the car on saturday this week.
The next thing on my TODO list is the color of my name in this forum. After that change only my surname (Grün, german word for the color green) will remain green. :D

Greetings from germany

Bernhard

colintf
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
well done on choosing your car.

I hope it works out well for you!

ColinE
06-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Congratulations!!!

b.gruen
10-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok, the MG is mine and I already drove the first 300 km.
I will open a new thread to ask a few questions tomorrow.

Bye Bernhard

Tim
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
So difficult, I voted for the ZT but my perfect car would be a V8 ZT ConnieSE :D

The internals of the cabin from my Rover 75 ConnieSE but everything else from my V8

colintf
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Bye Bernhard

I hope you are enjoying it Bernhard

Tim
10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
:applause:applause:applauseDon't forget your questionnaire to turn into a greenie :D and congrats

Bye Bernhard

Stew B
15-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Evening my friend,

I`m a new member and a new owner of a 260. In the next month I`m looking forward to buying a 75 v8 too and this car will definately be the first to be converted to lpg as I intend using it as my daily driver. The 260 has only done 29,000 miles and my idea is to keep it low so lpg for that car isn`t such a concern. It`ll probably be converted during the summer.

Tchues tchues,

Stewart.

ColinE
16-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome along

colintf
16-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Stew and welcome

Stew B
23-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I`ve just bought a 260 and was planning to buy a 75 v8 too but after the test drive the 75 v8 struck me as lacking a gear. I`d also just road tested a 75 diesel auto which I found much better that the 75 v8 because of that extra gear (making the diesel more relaxed in my opinion).

My view is; a 260 on gas, and the diesel auto as my run around.

Cheers,

Stew B.

b.gruen
24-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I didn't have the feeling that the 75 V8 is lacking a gear. It drove quite well. Anyway I decided to buy the ZT 260 as the colour fits better to our 75 Diesel with auto transmission. ;-)
I hope I can post photos of my car, standing next to the 75, soon.

Bernhard

colintf
24-04-2010, 06:08 PM
well done to you both on your purchases!!

spartacus
23-11-2011, 08:42 PM
WTF? Why did this come up 18 months after the last post - did someone just vote??

ColinE
23-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Must have done!

tomcat22
23-11-2011, 10:07 PM
oops, but yes, I'm guilty. Was looking for other owners in Germany as mentioned, and I know b.gruen from reading already

jenksman
24-11-2011, 04:34 AM
I have owned two ZT 260s One standard SE one with LPG conversion
The cost of conversion is high, more than £2000
You will also lose a considerable amount of boot (trunk) space for the LPG tank
If you plan on doing about 5000 miles per year you will save about £500 per year which will mean it will take you about 5 years to recover your installation costs. That is in UK of course where LPG costs about 70p per litre, I suspect it is cheaper in Germany
In my humble opinion I wouldn't bother to do the conversion unless you plan to do a much higher yearly mileage
But as "our Graham" used to say "the choice is yours"
Good luck anyway
Rgds Dave

2V8s
24-11-2011, 01:12 PM
ha! this caught me out too. I just voted, then realised it was 18 months too late?

Did this person buy one of them in the end?!

Coasting
24-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Holy thread resurrection, chap bought a MG ZT 260 in the end, but I still voted, why not eh?!! :)

AndyG
24-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I have just voted too:ash

As no one had put "None", so I did, :p

It has to be a Tourer for me. With an SC. :D