PDA

View Full Version : Tyres and Wheels

robert.jamieson
16-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Chaps,

I'm going to look at no. 335 on Friday. From what the current owner has said, the wheels are all in need of a refurb. Does the MG club offer such a service? What's would this cost? I've seen some with polished wheels and others with smoked wheels. Were these options at the time? Is it possible to refurbish the wheels to the same original spec?

How much do the Continental Sport tyres go for at the moment? Are there any other makes out there which are any good, and cheaper?

Cheers

Rob

spartacus
16-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Apex original is Shadow Chrome. Just had mine redone for £50+vat each

You'll have to get then done yourself, but plenty have so you'll have options depending on where you live.

Lots of alternatives to Contis - Toyos are popular,and so are others. Contis don't seem to last long and crab like buggery on the front. However, they were original fit.

Buy car, worry about tyres later :D

Nich
16-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Lots of places do the Apex original 'Shadow Chrome' refurbishment depending upon your location Robert, as Mark says about £50 per wheel.

Generally Contis do about 8k on the rears, slightly longer on the fronts. Lots of info on members section re Falkens, Avon, Bridgestone etc. alternatives. Depends on your driving style of course....;)

Nich.

ColinE
17-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Some places seem to struggle getting the shadow chrome spot in - had mine done recently and they are slightly lighter than the original.

Tyres vary in price dramatically, if you have a local tyre place that will fit them you could try Camskill http://www.camskill.co.uk/index.php

spartacus
17-03-2010, 09:11 AM
The guy who did mine was of the opinion that there was no such thing as original, as they could come out looking different from the factory from one batch of cars to the next. Also, the fact that they were produced in 2 different places might have had an effect. I think for refurbs, it will depend as much on the materials and method used to do them as anything else.

Martin Warner
17-03-2010, 09:18 AM
As Mark knows I have two new Apex wheels still in their boxes. We checked them against the refurbs that I had done at different times from Wicked Wheels. Though one was better than the other they were a pretty good match.

spartacus
17-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Martin, want your wheels back? I'll even give you back two the same colour :D

Martin Warner
17-03-2010, 10:26 AM
If they were different there is more chance of one of them being the right colour.

spartacus
17-03-2010, 01:31 PM
They're much closer to your new ones thatn the darker of the two you loaned me (which I'm using as my spare). See what you think...

colintf
17-03-2010, 07:43 PM
when SMC got mine done, they got it very wrong :mad:

pessling
17-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm tempted to go either silver or a gray colour the next time i get mine done, unfortunately the original finish doesn't stay that colour for long with the brake dust, any one fancy getting theres chromed?

colintf
17-03-2010, 07:58 PM
chromed - bling bling :)

SH4RKY
17-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Tempted by a more smoked look if i ever get them done again...

Dunno what to do with these compos, but cant wait to get back on to the toyos. michelins feel like driving on grease. haha.. then again, i dont think the tread has dropped at all, so maybe they are just rock hard. will probably stick them back on next winter actually, save sticky toyo for summer fun.

ColinE
17-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I need to look at a few options for next time - but agree the 'original' colour is not great long term

Might have a play with my winter straights (when I've paid for them)